Stephen Drew...perfect example of why you didn't need to rush to sign Hardy

Sports Guy

I don't buy this and personally, I think you are reaching.

Hardy wanted to be here and wanted stability...Its hard to believe that his desire to be here and his desire to have stability for he and his family would have gone away 10 days later.

Now, perhaps he would have been pissed that the Orioles were trying to deal him and that would have caused him not to sign.

I still find that hard to believe as players understand that this is a business and that teams have to do what is best for the good of the team.

You answered your own question that was asked in the OP.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will agree, probably no harm at all. But I think it is a very small thing to complain about. I guess there is a slim chance, that he changes his mind and his agent talks him into testing the free agent market. I have to ASSUME, that AM, checked out the market, didn't like what he was hearing as a return and went ahead and signed him. Sure he could have waited. But waiting the 10 days or so in hopes that someone got hurt is kind of a long shot.
There are many other things that can happen besides injury...The injury factor is just one thing.

AM himself said there was legit interest...When AM uses words like that, he isn't talking about a few teams calling up and offering a few C level prospects. Its just his style.

On top of that, getting back to the main point, what is out there 10 days before the deadline is a lot different than 2 days before the deadline.

AM's mindset has always been to extend Hardy. I think he heard what other teams had to say but it didn't really matter unless something stupid was put out there by another team.

I think AM looked at things the same way many of the people on here have...SS has been an issue for a while and when you have an above average SS that you can sign cheap, you do it.

In a vacuum, that is 100000% correct. No one in their right mind can intelligently argue against that. We are all in agreement there.

But this can't be looked at in a vacuum...There are too many other factors in play here.

Hardy wanted to be here and wanted stability...Its hard to believe that his desire to be here and his desire to have stability for he and his family would have gone away 10 days later.

Now, perhaps he would have been pissed that the Orioles were trying to deal him and that would have caused him not to sign.

I still find that hard to believe as players understand that this is a business and that teams have to do what is best for the good of the team.

And a good player will have the confidence that HE is what is best for the team. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but it is human nature to be more inclined to leave if you feel your boss isn't sold on you as the best solution when you think you are. Baseball is a business, and balancing sound decisions with a respect for the human component of negotiations is a part of any business decision, baseball or otherwise.

And a good player will have the confidence that HE is what is best for the team. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but it is human nature to be more inclined to leave if you feel your boss isn't sold on you as the best solution when you think you are. Baseball is a business, and balancing sound decisions with a respect for the human component of negotiations is a part of any business decision, baseball or otherwise.
True...But there is very little chance that this trumps his desire to be here and have stability.

A good player will have the confidence that HE is what is best for the team. If that player feels as though the team does not share that belief, then he is more likely to leave. Baseball is a business, but understanding the human element of negotiations is essential for any business, baseball or otherwise.

A good player will have the confidence that HE is what is best for the team. If that player feels as though the team does not share that belief, then he is more likely to leave. Baseball is a business, but understanding the human element of negotiations is essential for any business, baseball or otherwise.

Apologies for the repeat, I thought my computer had cut out on me.

SG, I think we have struck a reasonable balance. We can't really talk in absolutes, and certainly there was a risk/reward to this situation. Perhaps I am just more cautious than you.

I think people need to understand that none of us are bashing the extension itself.

But this issue goes much deeper than just getting a good player signed to a reasonable deal.

I think most people arguing against you already understand that. The issue is what we could have got in return. I don't think AZ is giving up the two prospects that have been mentioned just b/c Drew went down. However, if they do, they're probably more likely to do that if Hardy is signed to the deal he has now.

I think most people arguing against you already understand that. The issue is what we could have got in return. I don't think AZ is giving up the two prospects that have been mentioned just b/c Drew went down. However, if they do, they're probably more likely to do that if Hardy is signed to the deal he has now.
But you have no idea what the return would be and neither do I.

However, it is pretty logical to assume you are getting back at least the value of 2 draft picks.

And if you don't, then you extend him.

I just don't see that as any kind of a logical reason to not wait..Because some of you think he may not be worth much.

That just doesn't make sense.

However, it is pretty logical to assume you are getting back at least the value of 2 draft picks.

I just don't see that as any kind of a logical reason to not wait..Because some of you think he may not be worth much.

You don't think he's worth more in a trade now than he was before he signed the extension?

Word on the street is Macphail went over to Arizona right after we signed Hardy, and broke Drew's ankle just so Baltimore fans could come on here and have another reason to b*tch.

Paaaalllllllleeeeaaaasssssseeeee!

You don't think he's worth more in a trade now than he was before he signed the extension?
Who the hell knows. We know he isn't getting traded now, so it doesn't matter right now.

You can argue that teams would rather have Hardy for a few months now, offer arb and get the picks for him. That they don't want to be locked into a long term deal with an oft injured player. A team like Zona, who has an option at SS next year but lost that player this year would probably prefer the picks than the long term extension.

In terms of future value? His health and performance will dictate that.

There are many other things that can happen besides injury...The injury factor is just one thing.

AM himself said there was legit interest...When AM uses words like that, he isn't talking about a few teams calling up and offering a few C level prospects. Its just his style.

On top of that, getting back to the main point, what is out there 10 days before the deadline is a lot different than 2 days before the deadline.

AM's mindset has always been to extend Hardy. I think he heard what other teams had to say but it didn't really matter unless something stupid was put out there by another team.

I think AM looked at things the same way many of the people on here have...SS has been an issue for a while and when you have an above average SS that you can sign cheap, you do it.

In a vacuum, that is 100000% correct. No one in their right mind can intelligently argue against that. We are all in agreement there.

But this can't be looked at in a vacuum...There are too many other factors in play here.

Who said it was his decision? Extending Hardy is more consistent with Buck than anything.

Perhaps MacPhail didn't know whether to be a buyer or seller because Angelos told him to extend Hardy to satisfy Buck?

I may have been wrong about the Buck coup before, but it sure seems like there might be one now...

But it isn't just "does the value of the prospects in return come close to the two draft picks". It is also whether either value is worth more to this team than Hardy is for the next three seasons.

Archived