Rasmus

paulcoates

Haven't we had enough of guys like that around here though? I know there have been whispers of attitudes like his around here before and people were ready to purge and chase those people out of town, why would we want to bring another prima donna into the mix? Just not a good idea for a team with such losing problem.

One person's junk...

Like I said, price would have to be right. I wouldn't even consider including someone like Jones in a trade for him. But short of something like that...it's not as though this team has much to lose.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that they are saying he isnt coachable and they are shopping him hard means that you are not going to have to pay 100% for him in trade. My thinking is 75-80% of normal trade value should do it. Guthrie and Uehara seem about right to me.

The fact that they are saying he isnt coachable and they are shopping him hard means that you are not going to have to pay 100% for him in trade. My thinking is 75-80% of normal trade value should do it. Guthrie and Uehara seem about right to me.

So you're saying that if Rasmus was a model citizen, with no change in his immense potential, that Guthrie and Uehara (one of the losingest, though one of the unluckier, pitchers in baseball, and a 36 year old reliever) would account for 3/4 or more of Rasmus' trade value?

If you were dealing Jones, would Guthrie and Uehara account for 75% or more of his value in your mind?

They said they aren't shopping him.

What team is actually coming out and saying that they are shopping their players? I think the Mets actually have Carlos Beltran standing out on Roosevelt Avenue with a "For Sale by Owner" sign, but if you asked Sandy Alderson he wouldn't outright say so.

What team is actually coming out and saying that they are shopping their players? I think the Mets actually have Carlos Beltran standing out on Roosevelt Avenue with a "For Sale by Owner" sign, but if you asked Sandy Alderson he wouldn't outright say so.

True, but they aren't flat out denying it either. I'll genuinely be surprised if he's traded anywhere.

True, but they aren't flat out denying it either. I'll genuinely be surprised if he's traded anywhere.

Still though, they aren't going to come out and say they want to trade him because that will destroy his value. And in the Cardinals case, since Rasmus and his father and LaRussa seem to be doing a fair-enough job with the value-destruction on their own, they have to say that they aren't shopping him so that they can save whatever value he has left.

Still though, they aren't going to come out and say they want to trade him because that will destroy his value. And in the Cardinals case, since Rasmus and his father and LaRussa seem to be doing a fair-enough job with the value-destruction on their own, they have to say that they aren't shopping him so that they can save whatever value he has left.

That's true. Fair enough.

No, I wouldn't trade Guthrie & Koji for Rasmus because that would be seriously overpaying for him. Considering the type of packages the Orioles could get for both of those guys, that's like giving up 4-5 prospects for Rasmus. Just doesn't make sense to trade that much for a buy-low type of trade target.

I think this guy and this topic deserved its own thread since he has been talked about around here for a couple of weeks.

Am I missing something, or should we just show St Louis our list and say "pick 2" and make the deal. This guy seems like a guy would really benefit from a move to a new place. There is a lot of smoke here about Rasmus being dealt to a good number of teams. He will be dealt to a new team either at the deadline or in the offseason.

Would you give St Louis Guthrie and Uehara for Rasmus if that were the ultimate asking price?

I can't understand how people would consider 1.) Dealing Jones for Rasmus 2.) Giving the Cardinals a list of players and saying pick 2 3.) thinking that there is no chance that Uehara and Guthrie wouldn't be enough to land Rasmus considering the value of each guy individually. If a guy like Guthrie could land a top-75 prospect and Uehara could land a top -60 prospect, then would two top-75 prospects not be enough for a disgruntled Rasmus and a frustrated front office?

If Rasmus isn't going to take direction for an organization like the Cardinal than why would he do it here in Baltimore? I would take a flier on the guy and probably would trade Guthrie and Uehara for him due to his age and upside. That being said, maybe I offer them Schoop, but how much more do you offer them? Schoop, Avery and Tillman? I am starting to think that Tillman isn't going to amount to much. I am also not very high on Avery. Schoop is a guy that I wouldn't want to give up, but if Rasmus kicks it up then maybe you get a better package by dealing him down the road.

No, I wouldn't trade Guthrie & Koji for Rasmus because that would be seriously overpaying for him. Considering the type of packages the Orioles could get for both of those guys, that's like giving up 4-5 prospects for Rasmus. Just doesn't make sense to trade that much for a buy-low type of trade target.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "prospect". Rasmus was a high end guy, Baseball America had him ranked #3 coming into the 2011 season. You usually don't get a crack at those type of guys unless you deal a star player or the prospect becomes a star and you trade your young prospects for him. If you like the quantity over quality method like Andy MacPhail seems to, then sure you can get 4-5 guys and see what happens. Currently Guthrie is on the cusp of type B status and Uehara is going to have his option kick in an additional 15 or appearances. If we keep him through 2012 then he is a year older and not under control for the next season. He is a type A FA and teams are not going to surrender a first rounder to sign him IMO. I think now is the best time to move Guthrie and Uehara while saving upwards of $13M off of next years team salary and adding a high upside guy in Rasmus.

Now, if the Reds are offering up Alonso and Boxberger for Guthrie than make the deal. If another team is offering a top-60 prospect for Koji then make the deal. But you would think that those offers haven't surfaced based on recent reports about how GM's are treating their young talent like gold.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "prospect". Rasmus was a high end guy, Baseball America had him ranked #3 coming into the 2011 season. You usually don't get a crack at those type of guys unless you deal a star player or the prospect becomes a star and you trade your young prospects for him. If you like the quantity over quality method like Andy MacPhail seems to, then sure you can get 4-5 guys and see what happens. Currently Guthrie is on the cusp of type B status and Uehara is going to have his option kick in an additional 15 or appearances. If we keep him through 2012 then he is a year older and not under control for the next season. He is a type A FA and teams are not going to surrender a first rounder to sign him IMO. I think now is the best time to move Guthrie and Uehara while saving upwards of $13M off of next years team salary and adding a high upside guy in Rasmus.

Now, if the Reds are offering up Alonso and Boxberger for Guthrie than make the deal. If another team is offering a top-60 prospect for Koji then make the deal. But you would think that those offers haven't surfaced based on recent reports about how GM's are treating their young talent like gold.

Yeah, I know Rasmus was a top prospect (and I actually like him a lot), but it's not 2008 anymore. Cameron Maybin was a former top prospect too and he was traded for two relievers last offseason. I don't see how a known malcontent with attitude problems that has requested to be traded multiple times is worth much more than Maybin was. His trade value right now is significantly lower than it ever has been.

Point is that I think this would be a poor use of the Orioles' two most valuable trade chips. They can get better value in my opinion. If the Cardinals want to trade Rasmus for Guthrie and Koji I would be willing to listen, but I would need them to add more to that deal before I would even consider it.

Archived