I'm liking this list

Frobby

All of that may be true Jon, and that's why he's not in our top ten, but at the same time, Roberts showed almost no power his first few years in the minors although I will admit Roberts showed some pop in college while Angle did not.

Angle may very well never have much power, but he has an excellent base to work from with good plate discipline, great speed, and solid defense at an "up the middle" defensive position. Paz had one skill set, he walked a lot so comparing those two is like apples to oranges if you ask me. Joey Gathwright is a great comp if you ask me, but from what I've heard, Angle is a better defensive outfielder.

Ok, I'll buy that. But remember, Gathright is a fringe major league player. And he pretty much defines the upper limit of how good someone can be with absolutely no power. On a good team he'd be lucky to be a 5th OF/pinch runner.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I'll buy that. But remember, Gathright is a fringe major league player. And he pretty much defines the upper limit of how good someone can be with absolutely no power. On a good team he'd be lucky to be a 5th OF/pinch runner.

Yeah, he's a bench player at best, but that's OK.

My bad on Angle - for some reason I thought he was in Frobby's post. I know the guys at BA really like the Angle pick.

Most of our better hitting prospects will be at Frederick or above, but the DelMarva team should be decent offensively as well. Angle, Mahoney, Adams, Henson and Kolodny - perhaps Chmiel and Pople also. Some interesting prospects there.

On the pitching side, outside of Britton, I'm not sure who starts at DelMarva. I know we had a staff at Aberdeen, but was probably made up mostly of lower picks/prospects.

Where would Kershaw be on our list? Just curious to see where you guys put him if we got him in a Bedard package.

Probably asking the OH staff, but I personally would have him number one on our list. 19 year old kid who really held his own in Double A at the end of last season. Still kinda far from being a sure thing, but his numbers at only nineteen years old tell me that he could become a force in the majors in four or five years.

Probably asking the OH staff, but I personally would have him number one on our list. 19 year old kid who really held his own in Double A at the end of last season. Still kinda far from being a sure thing, but his numbers at only nineteen years old tell me that he could become a force in the majors in four or five years.

He'd definitely be high, but I think Wieter would still be #1. Just a gut feeling.

I agree with Tony on Angle. Let's see how well he handles his first full year.

What hurt Angle a lot, is the coaching staff at OSU, is bluntly horrible. I know the strength coach in th athletic department that works with the baseball team an he was pretty discouraged at how Coach Todd never wanted the players to lift. The team also had 3 TJ surgeries in the last 2 seasons, you have to question if their staff knows how to develop players. Combine that with the talent they had, and struggled to a 16-16 Big Ten season, yeah many and I are not fond of the Ohio State staff.

Take a look at how Jed Stephen is. I don't know if you guys expected much from him last year, and though he had more power than Angle at OSU, I think him being in the O's system has helped develop him a lot and he's a bit of a surprise right now.

Anyhow back to Angle, he did hit 1 HR in the Cape last summer, I know thats reaching, but he had pretty good gap to gap power in college, and I'm actually a bit surprised to see his XBH and SLG so low. Knowing him he'll work, do what the coaches and organization wants and will overcome anything. This is a guy who broke his wrist badly playing a pick-up game his Sr year in HS, didn't know if he'd be able to play at a level close to where he was, came in as a Freshman started, and was drafted in the 7th round at what 5-10, 170? I know everyone has a story and cute little inspirational stories mean nothing without the talent, but I'd be confident in betting he makes it.

I like Tripp for the reasons you stated but unfortunately he K'd a ton and was at pretty low level of the minors. Lot's to prove at the higher levels for a guy who will be 23 this year. As for Angle, he had a great debut and showed excellent plate discipline, normally something that bodes well for future advancement. Unfortunately for him, the total lack of power could negate that discipline as he advances as pitchers have very little to fear by throwing him strikes, particualarly when behind in the count. We'll see. If you saw my top 20 list, you know that I like Tripp more than some others.

I'm sorry I missed your top 20 list, I'll look it up when I get a chance tonight. I've been in and out the last few months.

I can see the caution on Tripp about plate discipline and age. But, .900+ OPS guys are not all that common in our system. The guy starts out on fire and then gets injured. He comes back and it takes him a while to get back into the groove he was in. He hits for power and average against both RH and LH pitchers. And is 22 yoa really that old for a college player in his first full season, albeit in the Sally League? He made some adjustments last year and I'm fine with downplaying his stats a little, but those numbers aren't some fluke. He's a solid prospect who should be in the top 20.

Question for those that may know...With Tripp, is that he has poor pitch recognition, does he pull off, or does he overswing, or what? If he puts up similar numbers this year in Frederick and maybe Bowie, even including around 100 k's, does he solidify his status near the top 10 or so? http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%20Tripp&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458079

I'm sorry I missed your top 20 list, I'll look it up when I get a chance tonight. I've been in and out the last few months.

I can see the caution on Tripp about plate discipline and age. But, .900+ OPS guys are not all that common in our system. The guy starts out on fire and then gets injured. He comes back and it takes him a while to get back into the groove he was in. He hits for power and average against both RH and LH pitchers. And is 22 yoa really that old for a college player in his first full season, albeit in the Sally League? He made some adjustments last year and I'm fine with downplaying his stats a little, but those numbers aren't some fluke. He's a solid prospect who should be in the top 20.

Question for those that may know...With Tripp, is that he has poor pitch recognition, does he pull off, or does he overswing, or what? If he puts up similar numbers this year in Frederick and maybe Bowie, even including around 100 k's, does he solidify his status near the top 10 or so? http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%20Tripp&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=458079

I'd be very surprised not to see Tripp somewhere in our top 20, however I think it will be between 16-20.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to say that we are up to no. 20 and I'm still liking this list. In the top 10, Hoey, Pope and Florimon have been replaced with Wieters, Spoone and Britton, a much better qualified group. In the 11-20 range, Adams, Berken, Fiorentino (sob), Bordes, Lebron and Keefer have been replaced by Henson, Arrieta, Bascom, Hoey, Bergeson and McCrory, again a much stronger group IMO. We still haven't gotten to any of those six ranked in last year's top 20, or Mahoney, Tripp, Kolodny, or Binnick, among others.

I feel like with one more good draft we'll have an above average organization in terms of talent. My one big concern is that we have virtually no Latin American talent.

Just a note to say that we are up to no. 20 and I'm still liking this list. In the top 10, Hoey, Pope and Florimon have been replaced with Wieters, Spoone and Britton, a much better qualified group. In the 11-20 range, Adams, Berken, Fiorentino (sob), Bordes, Lebron and Keefer have been replaced by Henson, Arrieta, Bascom, Hoey, Bergeson and McCrory, again a much stronger group IMO. We still haven't gotten to any of those six ranked in last year's top 20, or Mahoney, Tripp, Kolodny, or Binnick, among others.

I feel like with one more good draft we'll have an above average organization in terms of talent. My one big concern is that we have virtually no Latin American talent.

Why are you always leaving out Hernandez???:(:confused:

Archived