What Oriole am I

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about terrible timing for a thread. Wieters has been on fire for more than a month now-- a .951 OPS with five homers in August, and a 1.030 OPS in September before today. In his last 13 starts, he's had more MULTI-HIT games (seven) than zero-hit games (three). You wait until he has one bad game to crawl out of the woodwork? Why? What's the point?

Wieters has really been turning his season around offensively in the last month and a half, in addition to the obvious other values he brings. Why is anyone still banging this drum about him being a huge bust?

Talk about terrible timing for a thread. Wieters has been on fire for more than a month now-- a .951 OPS with five homers in August, and a 1.030 OPS in September before today. In his last 13 starts, he's had more MULTI-HIT games (seven) than zero-hit games (three). You wait until he has one bad game to crawl out of the woodwork? Why? What's the point?

Wieters has really been turning his season around offensively in the last month and a half, in addition to the obvious other values he brings. Why is anyone still banging this drum about him being a huge bust?

Because it's the end of the season. And, they've got nothing left to complain about.

I wish we had 8 other guys who were as good as he was supposed to be.

The all-star and gold glove comments are laughable as well. You seem so set in your ways comparing him to the 29 other starting catchers in baseball instead of comparing him to the players he was SUPPOSED to be like (Piazza, Bench, etc). And no, that isn't reactionary, go back and read the stuff written about him and his minor league numbers. He hasn't come close to those expectations and has instead become an upper echelon player at a traditionally crappy position. Sorry, a good August won't win me over. Do it over the course of a season. Get that OPS over .900 (at this point I'd settle for freaking .800). Hit the ball with authority all year round. Hit 30 HR, drive in 100 runners. Be the guy you were supposed to be instead of just a "very good catcher."

Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not good enough for me.

Ah, now I know who you are talking about. I honestly had no idea.

So you are slamming Wieters, the guy who leads the team with a 3.5 WAR? You know, the second best catcher in the AL behind Detroit's Alex Avila? The guy who is hitting .050 higher then league average OPS. Oh, you mean that guy? The guy who has become an All-Star in his 3rd year in the league and the guy hitting to a 1.030 OPS in his last 26 games?

All because he had a bad game? Yeah, I'm going to go with the guys calling this reactionary.

Calling him the biggest bust in franchise history is hardly a dumb comment when you consider all the factors, which I'm sure you didn't bother to do.

Oh yes, the complexity of your argument was so overwhelming that I was left speechless and just reached for the nearest ad hominem at hand.

Either that, or calling a 25-year-old catcher who has been on fire for the last month and who is the best player on the team right now "the biggest bust in franchise history" just might be a galactically stupid comment. One or the other.

I mean, if you want to be disappointed with Wieters, fine. It's short-sighted to a degree, but fine.

But biggest bust in O's history? He's not even the biggest bust this season. I mean, I think he had a good season. I'm very excited for him going forward. I think he's on pace to be the greatest homegrown Oriole in many, many years.

If you thought Wieters was going to be Barry Bonds the Gold Glove catcher, especially by 25, then any disappointment you feel is your own fault.

I mean, if you want to be disappointed with Wieters, fine. It's short-sighted to a degree, but fine.

But biggest bust in O's history? He's not even the biggest bust this season. I mean, I think he had a good season. I'm very excited for him going forward. I think he's on pace to be the greatest homegrown Oriole in many, many years.

If you thought Wieters was going to be Barry Bonds the Gold Glove catcher, especially by 25, then any disappointment you feel is your own fault.

I think part of the problem was that he was built up to be this good... Maybe that was irresponsible on the part of the media, but most of that probably falls on this message board.

I think part of the problem was that he was built up to be this good... Maybe that was irresponsible on the part of the media, but most of that probably falls on this message board.

I fell for this too, after the minor league year he had in 2008. But I think now that his ceiling is actually higher than the Jason Varitek comps we hear. I think he has the chance to be more like a Carlton Fisk--a valuable offensive player who is rock-solid defensively and durable. Now, Wieters has not had as good a start to his career as Fisk did, but I think as he matures as a hitter that's where he can get to. But it's become very clear that it will take a good deal of patience. He is not going to be an elite player overnight, but I do think he will get there within the next few years.

I honestly don't think the Wieters hype here exceeded the national hype. Everybody thought he was going to dominate. I'd say the biggest chunk of the blame goes to PECOTA and their absurd like .950 rookie OPS projection.

Archived