Source: MLB players, owners close in on new 5-year labor deal Read more: http://sportsillustrated.c

mapierce

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a loser deal based on the little bit of information being released. No comment on balanced schedules. No discussion on bringing International Players into some kind of draft system. Selig was done an awful job this time around, in my view.

The bolded makes up for the rest. As bad as a even a soft cap on draft spending is, destroying the international market would be worse.

The bolded makes up for the rest. As bad as a even a soft cap on draft spending is, destroying the international market would be worse.

Not sure I get your stance. Do you prefer Int FA's become part of a draft system or do you like how it works now?

This is a loser deal based on the little bit of information being released. No comment on balanced schedules. No discussion on bringing International Players into some kind of draft system. Selig was done an awful job this time around, in my view.
Both sides are making money hand over fist...They have no real incentive to drastically change so many things.

Not sure I get your stance. Do you prefer Int FA's become part of a draft system or do you like how it works now?

What did including PR into the draft accomplish?

The current system is full of corruption and uncertainty but if an international draft is instituted the markets will dry up. Why should the O's have an academy in the DR if anyone can draft the kids they train? Why should Bascones search out promising youngsters and mold them into prospects if the profit is gone?

If an international draft were to be added the percentage of foreign born players would collapse over the following 20 years.

How it is now. With no slotting and the current int'l system the O's have an opportunity to spend a little money and get an advantage over more conservative clubs. With slotting and an int'l draft the O's lose those opportunities, and the total player pool probably shrinks (or at least grows more slowly) as players are incentivized to stay in their home countries and amateurs are pushed to other sports and/or college.

The current system is full of corruption and uncertainty but if an international draft is instituted the markets will dry up. Why should the O's have an academy in the DR if anyone can draft the kids they train? Why should Bascones search out promising youngsters and mold them into prospects if the profit is gone?

If an international draft were to be added the percentage of foreign born players would collapse over the following 20 years.

I'm not sure the situation is quite that dire, but that's the direction things will go. Right now teams have big incentives to go dig up and develop young international talent. But once they're subject to a draft that's gone, and MLB will be forced to do things in some kind of centralized manner that will almost certainly be less well funded and less focused and driven than the setup today.

Good points. But how does the current system prevent the very thing you are against? If we develop a great Int Player, what's stopping the Yankees from stealing him away by signing him to more $$$? Do they sign a contract when they are in your system which protects you?

I'm not sure the situation is quite that dire, but that's the direction things will go. Right now teams have big incentives to go dig up and develop young international talent. But once they're subject to a draft that's gone, and MLB will be forced to do things in some kind of centralized manner that will almost certainly be less well funded and less focused and driven than the setup today.

I did say 20 years Drungo.

Good points. But how does the current system prevent the very thing you are against? If we develop a great Int Player, what's stopping the Yankees from stealing him away by signing him to more $$$? Do they sign a contract when they are in your system which protects you?

Not letting the Yankees see him in the first place. As well as building a relationship with the kid in question. I also doubt that an international draft would allow 16 year old draftees so you can also sign kids earlier now then you will probably be able to if a draft is added.

I did say 20 years Drungo.

Not letting the Yankees see him in the first place. As well as building a relationship with the kid in question. I also doubt that an international draft would allow 16 year old draftees so you can also sign kids earlier now then you will probably be able to if a draft is added.

So MLB has it right with their draft, but everyone else has it wrong when it comes to acquisition of young talent and how that comes about.

Just 5 more years of the players union cartel ruining the sport and running it straight into the ground.

So MLB has it right with their draft, but everyone else has it wrong when it comes to acquisition of young talent and how that comes about.

Just 5 more years of the players union cartel ruining the sport and running it straight into the ground.

You do realize that every dollar that doesn't go to the players stays with the owners right? Adding strict slotting to the draft isn't going to lower ticket prices.

THIS TIME AROUND? ha ha. Bud Selig is just plain awful period! :)

You do realize that every dollar that doesn't go to the players stays with the owners right? Adding strict slotting to the draft isn't going to lower ticket prices.

What?? What are you talking about "strict slotting" for? Ticket prices? Where exactly was that mentioned? I have no clue what you are talking about, but anyway....

The conversation was about making all players go through the draft process instead of the wild wild west and the "to the highest bidder" model that is currently in place. Pretty simple concept that has worked for oh.....a long time in every other major sport

You must be one of the "everything is great!" in baseball people, and content just continuing on this path to small and mid market destruction one CBA at a time.

The fact that they are close to a deal without hardly issues in negotiations and minor "tweaks" to the system is a perfect example on the sad state of the sport. I am now pretty much completely hopeless that anything will EVER change if that is how easy they just "re upped" the old deal essentially.

Archived