Source: MLB players, owners close in on new 5-year labor deal Read more: http://sportsillustrated.c

mapierce

I like a lot of the changes...the change for draft pick signings is a big deal IMO. Get these guys into the system earlier now.

Combined with the lack of ML deals for draft picks and the tax-enforced slotting you might even see more deals get done within a week or two of the draft. There's really not much to negotiate now. Compensation will be within a fairly narrow range. You either want to sign with the team or you don't.

This is, quite frankly, an absolutely terrible deal for amateur players (and for "advisors") but they don't get a seat at this table. And at least there are (hopefully) some benefits to getting their careers started earlier.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Combined with the lack of ML deals for draft picks and the tax-enforced slotting you might even see more deals get done within a week or two of the draft. There's really not much to negotiate now. Compensation will be within a fairly narrow range. You either want to sign with the team or you don't.

This is, quite frankly, an absolutely terrible deal for amateur players (and for "advisors") but they don't get a seat at this table. And at least there are (hopefully) some benefits to getting their careers started earlier.

Well the biggest part of the tax-enforced slotting in my opinion is having to give up draft picks. For large market teams the money tax doesn't hurt as much as losing draft picks.

Starting in 2013-14, teams will be able to trade money from their spending allowance for international players, according to Passan (all Twitter links). However, teams can only boost their original spending limit by 50% through trades. Every team will have $2.9MM to spend on international bonuses this offseason, according to Passan.

Teams that spend more than 5% over-slot on the draft will face a 75% tax, according to Passan (Twitter links). Teams that go over slot by 5-10% face a 75% tax and the loss of a first rounder. Teams that go over slot by 10-15% face a 100% tax and the loss of a first and second rounder. Teams that exceed slot by 15% or more face a 100% tax and the loss of two first rounders.

Do you think college coaches across the country are celebrating today? I predict a decline in the talent pool headed toward the majors and a significant increase in the level of college talent. College player value will significantly increase in a few years. Don't you think?

Well the biggest part of the tax-enforced slotting in my opinion is having to give up draft picks. For large market teams the money tax doesn't hurt as much as losing draft picks.

Right...but some will do it anyway.

But the good thing is, those that will, are likely the 2 in our division!

The issue I guess I could see is if enough teams do it, then picks will hold out for their money anyway.

I don't think that happens but its the one issue.

[/b]

Do you think college coaches across the country are celebrating today? I predict a decline in the talent pool headed toward the majors and a significant increase in the level of college talent. College player value will significantly increase in a few years. Don't you think?

I think you are spot on. I assume that more players are going to go to college rather than enter the draft out of High School.

Right...but some will do it anyway.

But the good thing is, those that will, are likely the 2 in our division!

The issue I guess I could see is if enough teams do it, then picks will hold out for their money anyway.

I don't think that happens but its the one issue.

Might see a lot more players come out after their Junior year in college, and if they don't like the team they are drafted by they will go back to college for their Senior year.

I think, overall, this is a bad deal for the Orioles.

In theory, yes, I agree. The system was set up to be gamed by teams willing to spend the money, and it really wasn't that much money. We should have taken advantage. But in practice, we never took advantage and didn't look like we were going to change course any time soon.

In theory, yes, I agree. The system was set up to be gamed by teams willing to spend the money, and it really wasn't that much money. We should have taken advantage. But in practice, we never took advantage and didn't look like we were going to change course any time soon.

I'd say it's pretty bad for baseball overall as well.

Bad for baseball because less money will drive talent to other sports. Bad for the Orioles because it ends the era where they could spend a relatively small amount of money and get more value out of the draft.

I don't buy the talent argument too much. I mean, baseball talent will be there I don't think it will have that much of an impact. As for the draft thing, that is something that concerns me a bit. I wish this would lead to teams being able to trade draft picks as they do in the NFL.

Archived