Sun: O's to unveil statues of 6 HOF'ers.

OrangeJerseys

I love the new Uniforms and love the idea of the new statues. I also heard they were going to have the L in Orioles on the scoreboard flash after every home loss, but the lightbulbs were to expensive to replace. ;)

I heard Reynolds agreed to pay for the bulbs in the E in "THE SUN", so maybe the team as a whole can pitch in.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see it this way. The Babe was born a few hundred yards from the Warehouse, grew up in Baltimore, and played with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, where he signed his first professional contract, and he got his nickname there. That's plenty enough for me. It's not like Baltimore had a major league team during his playing days and he was competing against Baltimore. That would be a different story.

Then give it to the Ruth Museum and let them display it somewhere. The fact that all the Yankee and Red Sox fans that invade OPACY are welcomed by a statue of the most significant player in each of their franchise's history (and never played a single game for the MLB Orioles) only adds insult to injury.

Then give it to the Ruth Museum and let them display it somewhere. The fact that all the Yankee and Red Sox fans that invade OPACY are welcomed by a statue of the most significant player in each of their franchise's history (and never played a single game for the MLB Orioles) only adds insult to injury.

If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times, the Baltimore Orioles are a BASEBALL team. One of, if not THE best players in its history was born a few blocks away and is being honored by the city of Baltimore. Those making statements like the above can't see the forest through the trees!

Ah, another "If we were winning no one would give a *bleep*" reason...

There is no need to be concerned about cluttering the outside of the stadium... all of the statues will go in a revamped area behind the bullpens according to this blog post:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/

So, I'm thinking that maybe they're going to redo the picnic area and put the statues in there? I always found it kind of an awkward area that you have to walk around. The space could definitely be utilized better. A plaza with the pre/post game show, some tables and the statues could be a good use.

If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times, the Baltimore Orioles are a BASEBALL team. One of, if not THE best players in its history was born a few blocks away and is being honored by the city of Baltimore. Those making statements like the above can't see the forest through the trees!

I also think it's disrespectful to all residents of South Dakota that Mount Rushmore is there and no President has ever been born in South Dakota. ;)

If it's the City of Baltimore honoring him, then put it down on Memorial Plaza. Or like I said, somewhere closer to his birthplace. Putting it at the entrance to OPACY sends a different message.

With your logic, I guess Ravens fans (or Colts fans) can look forward to going to a Steelers game at Heinz Field and being greeted by a statue of Johnny Unitas out in front of the place any time now. Heck, Unitas actually spent more time on Pittsburgh's roster (one training camp) than Ruth spent on the Orioles' roster as a big league player.

If it's the City of Baltimore honoring him' date=' then put it down on Memorial Plaza. Or like I said, somewhere closer to his birthplace. Putting it at the entrance to OPACY sends a different message.

With your logic, I guess Ravens fans (or Colts fans) can look forward to going to a Steelers game at Heinz Field and being greeted by a statue of Johnny Unitas out in front of the place any time now. Heck, Unitas actually spent more time on Pittsburgh's roster (one training camp) than Ruth spent on the Orioles' roster as a big league player.[/quote']

Johnny Unitas has been honored in MANY MANY ways in addition to the way Baltimore honored him.

http://www.baltimorecoltsmania.com/unitas.htm

So you made my point for me....ie...its perfectly reasonable for the Orioles to honor the man who was born and raised on the grounds of OPACY!

Archived