Duquette interview on WEEI

Frobby

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-duquette-talks-about-his-new-role-as-gm-of-the-orioles-and-looks-back-on-his-time-in-boston.htm

This was posted by grimed1 in the Markakis thread, but really deserves its own because Duquette got into a lot of topics. He was really critical of our scouting, saying we'd only hit on one draft pick (Wieters) in 11 years. When asked about Ortiz, he said, well, we had Vlad last year, but when it comes to Dominican players, I'd rather spend the money to sign a bunch of young amateurs coming out of the Dominican than sign a DH. And, he said we really need to develop a pitching program in the minor leagues.

I can't believe Duquette is just going to ride with the status quo. He will shake things up.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping someone would create a thread for this interview. Good move. I agree, I think Duquette could make some shocking moves over the next month or so. I'm sure glad he called out our draft performance. I appreciate his candor.

Thanks ,for the thread for this. Why does the Baltimore media not get this out of the interviews with Duquette? I am sure MASN would not ask the question why have the O's sucked for so long. DD didn't even dispute this or say something positive. I think he will be friendlier to the O's employees then the previous GM. He asks about the family and the kids.

Thanks ,for the thread for this. Why does the Baltimore media not get this out of the interviews with Duquette? I am sure MASN would not ask the question why have the O's sucked for so long. DD didn't even dispute this or say something positive. I think he will be friendlier to the O's employees then the previous GM. He asks about the family and the kids.

Bravo. I was wondering the exact same thing. There aren't many good baseball media in this town anymore. The Sun's staff has really gone south. Does Peter Schmuck write anymore?

One of the questions was literally, "why have the Orioles sucked for 14 years?" Great question, and I can't imagine a member of the Baltimore media asking something so blunt.

I think Duquette is making it plain as day that the problems with this team start in the drafting and development, and that's where he is going to focus his efforts. Those who want an overnight fix aren't going to be happy, but I can be patient about it, so long as Duquette actually does it, instead of just talking about it.

I like what I am hearing from him so far. He is also looking at a lot of Japanese players which is also refreshing.

But this is the honeymoon phase. We all went gaga over MacPhail at first too, especially when he traded Bedard and Tejada. We were popping champagne bottles and saying we'd be in the playoffs by 2010.

"It's all about pitching, pitching, pitching, and pitching" - That's been his catch phrase a few times now.

"Well, I could use a lot of things on my ball club. You know, it's a question of affordability and value now."

"Well, um, you know the team has, uh, had a history of drawing over 3 million people, in their heyday. You know that was back in the 90s, and last year they drew like a million seven. Um, they do have some similarities to the Red Sox in that they have the MidAtlantic Sports Network, so we have our own regional sports network, so that gives us another revenue...generator. Um, but, you know, I think that, uh, it will probably be flat this year, and you know to the extent that we build the team, make it interesting and exciting and more people come out, I think then we will have some more resources to invest in the team.

But, um, Mr. Angelos, uh wants to have a winning team; um, I believe he's committed to having a winning team. I'm going to do everything I can to give him that team."

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-duquette-talks-about-his-new-role-as-gm-of-the-orioles-and-looks-back-on-his-time-in-boston.htm

This was posted by grimed1 in the Markakis thread, but really deserves its own because Duquette got into a lot of topics. He was really critical of our scouting, saying we'd only hit on one draft pick (Wieters) in 11 years. When asked about Ortiz, he said, well, we had Vlad last year, but when it comes to Dominican players, I'd rather spend the money to sign a bunch of young amateurs coming out of the Dominican than sign a DH. And, he said we really need to develop a pitching program in the minor leagues.

I can't believe Duquette is just going to ride with the status quo. He will shake things up.

All of this is music to my ears. Now will he get the backing to be able to make the needed changes?

One of the questions was literally, "why have the Orioles sucked for 14 years?" Great question, and I can't imagine a member of the Baltimore media asking something so blunt.

I think Duquette is making it plain as day that the problems with this team start in the drafting and development, and that's where he is going to focus his efforts. Those who want an overnight fix aren't going to be happy, but I can be patient about it, so long as Duquette actually does it, instead of just talking about it.

A lot of people act as if there's an alternative to improving drafting and development but there absolutely isn't. Not for this team in this division, anyway.

I dont know how he is getting only 1 hit in 11 years of drafting in the top 10. Markakis and Wieters clearly aren't misses and Matusz is way too early to tell. Bundy and Machado are both top 10 or 15 prospects in baseball so that is just completely, flat out wrong. Now, should we have done better?? Sure but come on don't go as far as you went. I generally just didn;t like the tone of the interview. He seems very disconnected to this organization. Obviously, he has been out of baseball for awhile and I don't expect him to know our organization but I dont know I just don't sense passion or urgency to turn this thing around. I mean the better scouting, pitching program, int signings thats all obvious things that need to get better. We all knew that. I dont want to come off as too harsh. Im certainly open to what he plans to do but the first impression not so great.

No, he is right. Wieters is the only above average player at his position. He did forget about Jim Johnson...

You could also add Britton to the mix but it's too early to tell on him as well.

But Nick has been and clearly, Nick has been worthy of where he was selected..He isn't even close to a miss.

In fact, I bet his career WAR compares very favorably to top 10 picks over the last 15 years.

No, he is right. Wieters is the only above average player at his position. He did forget about Jim Johnson...

You could also add Britton to the mix but it's too early to tell on him as well.

He's absolutely wrong in regards to having one hit in the top 10 in the last 11 years. Of course, overall the drafting hasn't been good the last decade but don't exaggerate and make a false statement.

Archived