I'm almost tempted to chase Pujols

Frobby

If the Marlins were offering $275, not counting tax benefits that drove up the value relative to other offers, the O's wouldn't have stood a chance in Hell for anything south of $300 million.

I didn't see that they had offered that much. Why didn't he sign there then?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He couldn't get a no-trade clause there and he knew in a few years (or less) the Marlins would have to hold another fire sale.

OK. So then I don't think their offer would have made much of a difference on the hypothetical amount the O's would have had to commit to get him.

I didn't see that they had offered that much. Why didn't he sign there then?

If I was in his shoes with the reported offers from Stl, Mia, and LAA, I'd choose LAA because you can DH at the end of the deal, better chance to win more titles (IMO) and no Ozzie.

OK. So then I don't think their offer would have made much of a difference on the hypothetical amount the O's would have had to commit to get him.

He still would have been paid his yearly salary sans-income tax for however many years he was a Marlin, and a taxed 27ish million per year after a hypothetical trade. I don't see how that wouldn't impact what a team as awful as the O's would've had to offer.

He still would have been paid his yearly salary sans-income tax for however many years he was a Marlin, and a taxed 27ish million per year after a hypothetical trade. I don't see how that wouldn't impact what a team as awful as the O's would've had to offer.

Because the team the O's would have had to beat out is obviously the Angels.

Because the team the O's would have had to beat out is obviously the Angels.

So you're saying that, in your estimation, the O's (no-trade clause issue aside...who knows whether they'd have given one), as bad as they are, would have only needed to top the Angel's offer to land Pujols.

As in...you have the Angels in the top spot, followed by the Marlins...and the Orioles leapfrog the Marlins on Pujols' preference list simply by offering more money than the Angels?

Unlikely doesn't seem to cover it. The Marlins weren't a non-factor in this process.

So you're saying that, in your estimation, the O's (no-trade clause issue aside...who knows whether they'd have given one), as bad as they are, would have only needed to top the Angel's offer to land Pujols.

As in...you have the Angels in the top spot, followed by the Marlins...and the Orioles leapfrog the Marlins on Pujols' preference list simply by offering more money than the Angels?

Unlikely doesn't seem to cover it. The Marlins weren't a non-factor in this process.

I'm not sure why this is such a big issue for you. I said $270 or maybe more. So you think more. Great. My point was only to show the minimum the O's would need to offer to land him.

And we do know that the Marlins wouldn't give him a no-trade clause because otherwise, they would have instead of seeing him go to the Angels.

I'm not sure why this is such a big issue for you. I said $270 or maybe more. So you think more. Great. My point was only to show the minimum the O's would need to offer to land him.

And we do know that the Marlins wouldn't give him a no-trade clause because otherwise, they would have instead of seeing him go to the Angels.

This situation is a confluence of aggravators, Oriole inactivity and a federal income tax exam (9:30 a.m. tomorrow). Nothing personal.

We maybe could have gotten him for 10/285 with an ironclad NTC. But I wouldn't support that deal. Can't blame the O's for staying out of this one.

I was pretty sure Pujols was going to be "underpaid" until the Marlins started smoking crack. :D But what a year to be a Marlins fan! Or a crack dealer!

Archived