Saying bye to Matusz?

RyanW

I'm just curious...but who exactly is on the trading block that would be worthy of Matusz-esque trade value? There have been rumblings in the past about King Felix and Votto but nothing substantial...I'd hate to give up BMat for someone like Kendrys Morales. James Shields maybe? I really don't know...

If BMat does get traded this offseason, then we missed a pretty good opportunity to get a package of Justin Upton and Mark Reynolds at last year's winter meetings...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree 100 percent, but if they can move him for someone of value then it should be considered. In other words, he should not be untouchable, but at no point should he be just dumped.

But "someone of value" shouldn't be, middle of the rotation starter who has 2 years of service time left at a decent salary.

If you can obtain a guy like Smoak for BMat, I think that is something to consider.

Ideally he reports to camp in great shape and has his old, more deceptive delivery working again and he can get people out. You have to believe the prognosis is not good, however. Even with his good fastball, BM had to locate and mix his pitches well to be successful. That 3-4 mph on the fastball is huge for Brian. He's got to get all that back --conditioning, delivery, control, pitch selection, and a little more hop on the fastball. Seems like a tall order. I hope he can put it together; he's still young. (His most similar comp. by age is Arthur Rhodes. Others are Jeff Francis and Brian Anderson) However, some of his career comps. are Rick Krivda, Eric Bell, and Dana Eveland.

So this whole selling low debate boils down to which of those two categories you think Matusz will wind up in. But the Orioles won't really know what he's got until Spring Training. Tough decision. I'd be inclined to hold him rather than deal him straight up for another team's reclamation project (especially a position player), but I wouldn't cry if he was part of a package that brought us something good.

I'm optimistic because 1) I've always been very high on Brian 2) I think this past year was a big slap in the face for him, and he will work his butt off to fix it and 3) because even with just a couple weeks working with Brady during the season he gained back 1, maybe 2 mph. Working all offseason I'm hoping he gets the other couple mph. Brady knows workouts. ;)

Archived