Morosi: Orioles and Braves have discussed trade for Jurrjens and Prado

JTrea81

The Braves have figured out that keeping pitching cost low is the way to go and their system is so good at developing young pitching. They could move a guy to save some money while getting back a young starter with some upside and a young left fielder controlled on the cheap. They could move JJ and promote Minor, Delgado or Viscaino. They may pick the guy that they like the least based on a few factors, but that is not a guarantee that the player leaving will become a scrub.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that Lowe's gone, if the Braves move Jurrjens, they've still got Delgado, Teheran, and Vizciano all competing for one spot. That's an embarrassment of of riches if I ever saw one. Jurrjens wore down considerably after the AS break. That along with Atlanta's well-deserved reputation when it comes to pitching is definitely a danger sign IMO.

Now that Lowe's gone, if the Braves move Jurrjens, they've still got Delgado, Teheran, and Vizciano all competing for one spot. That's an embarrassment of of riches if I ever saw one. Jurrjens wore down considerably after the AS break. That along with Atlanta's well-deserved reputation when it comes to pitching is definitely a danger sign IMO.

The most I know about Jurrjens is I've had him a lot in fantasy. When he's on he's very, VERY good. But he's not always on...

The most I know about Jurrjens is I've had him a lot in fantasy. When he's on he's very, VERY good. But he's not always on...

How can someone who's "not always on" have an ERA of 2.96 in 2011 over 152 innings, and a career 3.40 ERA over 702.1 innings?

ANSWER: He's a very good pitcher, and you severely underestimate his ability and value. (Understandable given you admitted you don't know much about him)

My biggest knock on Jurrjens is that he gets hurt a lot. He's also going to pitch worse in the AL East. However, I will use my very last free post on this message board (and therefore my last post on this board under this handle, unless the OH's pricing policies have changed) to say that a trade which brings us Jurrjens and Prado for Matusz + anyone reasonable not named Bundy or Machado would be more than worth it for the O's. Matusz simply doesn't have the stuff to be a great pitcher in the AL East. He only throws 90-91 MPH tops even when he's healthy/on, and that 's simply not good enough given home ballpark factors, divisional ballpark, and divisional opponents. However, in the NL, he would thrive. Atlanta, given their superior scouting and front office, certainly recognize this.

Prado would be a fantastic replacement for Roberts, who will never again play a full season in MLB (and who will likely play less than 50 games this season, if not the rest of his career). Jurjjens would be great anchor/ace for our rotation. If a deal involving Prado, Jurrjens, Matusz, Guthrie/Andino and/or some other O's prospects is possible, I pray the Orioles do it.

How can someone who's "not always on" have an ERA of 2.96 in 2011 over 152 innings, and a career 3.40 ERA over 702.1 innings?

ANSWER: He's a very good pitcher, and you severely underestimate his ability and value. (Understandable given you admitted you don't know much about him)

My biggest knock on Jurrjens is that he gets hurt a lot. He's also going to pitch worse in the AL East. However, I will use my very last free post on this message board (and therefore my last post on this board under this handle, unless the OH's pricing policies have changed) to say that a trade which brings us Jurrjens and Prado for Matusz + anyone reasonable not named Bundy or Machado would be more than worth it for the O's. Matusz simply doesn't have the stuff to be a great pitcher in the AL East. He only throws 90-91 MPH tops even when he's healthy/on, and that 's simply not good enough given home ballpark factors, divisional ballpark, and divisional opponents. However, in the NL, he would thrive. Atlanta, given their superior scouting and front office, certainly recognize this.

Prado would be a fantastic replacement for Roberts, who will never again play a full season in MLB (and who will likely play less than 50 games this season, if not the rest of his career). Jurjjens would be great anchor/ace for our rotation. If a deal involving Prado, Jurrjens, Matusz, Guthrie/Andino and/or some other O's prospects is possible, I pray the Orioles do it.

My post (poorly stated) meant to at least emphasize that. :)

EDIT: And I mean no disrespect, peace, man! :)

You wasted your 500th post on ME??? :P

I think trading Matusz so quickly in his career could be a disasterous mistake. I hope they dont. But if they do, i also hope im wrong.

We don't know that it's Matusz who was being discussed. With ATL's abundance of pitching, AJ seems more likely to be their target. Changes the whole dynamic...

EDIT: They've shown a propensity for CFers nicknamed AJ before.....

Wow. What a last post.

Wow. What a last post.

I actually thought it was a good post. I ignored it over the fact that the poster is complaining about the few bucks a month it costs to be a member here. And the

I will use my very last free post on this message board (and therefore my last post on this board under this handle, unless the OH's pricing policies have changed) to say that a trade which brings us Jurrjens and Prado for Matusz + anyone reasonable not named Bundy or Machado would be more than worth it for the O's.

If I were Tony I'd be sure this guy doesnt sign up for a new free handle. It's sad that a guy cant scrape together a few bucks a month to be a member after posting 500 posts over 7 years on the house.

Archived