Unhappy Scouts??

beardbr

The O's should have made this switch earlier to allow these guys to find other jobs if they wanted.

BUT that's the only issue I have with this. The pro scouting dept needed to be completely revolutionized. If these six scouts were standing in the way at all, they had to go.

That's not on Duquette, that's on the Orioles for dragging their feet so long during the hiring process. Duquette can only do so much and it appears he's going full steam ahead with change, changes that have been needed for a long time.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the two Pro scouts will cover MLB and MiLB? Then the remaining six will scout strictly amateur(as in who we want to draft, sign, etc.)?

Pretty much. The amateur scouting is the drafting and signing part of things. The MiLB scouting is more who we are looking at in trades (which can be done as-needed) and getting a report on top prospects in anticipation of them being called up and having to face them.

Do these guys make any money? I know alot of the older amateur scouts make low wages.

I think Stotle would know better than I would, but I THINK the ML scouts get a little bit more than the amateur. None of the scouting departments really pay a huge chunk though. I could be wrong, just a general impression I've gotten from meeting and talking to people.

Pretty much. The amateur scouting is the drafting and signing part of things. The MiLB scouting is more who we are looking at in trades (which can be done as-needed) and getting a report on top prospects in anticipation of them being called up and having to face them.

Great. Thanks.

Considering the source, I'd ignore this until it comes from a reputable member of the media.
Plus 1
Concensus amongst OH members is that Jen Royle is... um... yeah.
I think JTrea should start a twitter and go head to head with her tweeting O's news to see who'd get more followers. As crazy as he can be, I'd listen to Trea before I'd listen to that train wreck.

Apologies are due.

This is nothing but good news IMO.

The existing scouts produced awful results...So, they needed a demotion or needed to be fired.

But they're not being replaced. This is sort-of ironic - for years we complained that we weren't doing enough advance-scout-wise and that's why crappy journeyman LHPs killed us. DD decimates our advance scouting and we're happy?*

In the end, whatever works. But we are a malleable (and feisty) bunch!

*And yes, I get that we think we can replace it with video and statistics. Though I'm not sure how well statistics might pick up on micro-trends. Or the validity of micro-trends. Ha.

Maybe so, but I have to say I'm completely happy about this. First off, I've been saying for years that our advanced scouting has not been very good. How many times have we seen a guy for the first time and gotten shut down? Second, Duquette is 100 percent right. With statistical analysis and the advance of things like Pitch F/x data, it's less important to have major league scouts. It's not like the minor leagues or amateur baseball where a scout has to be able to see things that the stats might not show because they are playing against inferior competition than the major leagues.

I fully support this from Duquette!

I don't have an issue with getting rid of advance scouting. I understand that it would be extremely frustrating for these guys.

Apologies are due.

Nope, not at all. She is a train wreck for her lack of professionalism and treating her twitter account like a personal account as a public figure. Just because she got tipped off on the work Rosenthal was doing doesn't make her less of a trainwreck.

And let's be real, Ken did all the work and broke the actual story, all she did is say that people were upset about it, didn't even name names. Uh, DUH Jen.

But they're not being replaced. This is sort-of ironic - for years we complained that we weren't doing enough advance-scout-wise and that's why crappy journeyman LHPs killed us. DD decimates our advance scouting and we're happy?

In the end, whatever works. But we are a malleable (and feisty) bunch!

It does make you wonder though if they were only listening to the scouts and were ignoring the video/stats reporting or not. This way they will have no choice.

So with their new assignments the former "pro" scouts will no longer visit major league ballparks in major league cities to perform their duties. Now they get to go to destinations like Reading, Harrisburg etc.. Correct? Yeah, I guess I'd be pretty pissed too.

Archived