Orioles looking for Baseball Analytics Intern

Biff Tannen

Yea...pretty sure that why I am at a disadvantage. LOL

Oh well, if you ask me, someone who goes in there and tries to hold others accountable is what that organization needs(not saying it needs to be me or something like that, just that its a quality that they shouldn't shy away from...but probably would)

No doubt about this. I think not knowing your faults is a weakness. It's obvious that PA has control issues, but likely can't admit it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about the systems people are talking about. Not that I can't learn it though.

You may be underestimating the complexities of SQL and R. If you don't know what they are, then you are WAY behind the curve to start with. And those are just the languages you need. Understanding relational databases, set theory, and the whole world of statistics is no small task.

Hell I'm a software developer with ample SQL experience and enough exposure to R to know I hate it and its an awful language. Honestly, I would not be that great at this job. It takes a special type to grok the data well enough to spit out meaningful results.

You may be underestimating the complexities of SQL and R. If you don't know what they are, then you are WAY behind the curve to start with. And those are just the languages you need. Understanding relational databases, set theory, and the whole world of statistics is no small task. Hell I'm a software developer with ample SQL experience and enough exposure to R to know I hate it and its an awful language. Honestly, I would not be that great at this job. It takes a special type to grok the data well enough to spit out meaningful results.

You are probably right...but it wouldn't stop me from trying anyway.

You may be underestimating the complexities of SQL and R. If you don't know what they are, then you are WAY behind the curve to start with. And those are just the languages you need. Understanding relational databases, set theory, and the whole world of statistics is no small task.

Hell I'm a software developer with ample SQL experience and enough exposure to R to know I hate it and its an awful language. Honestly, I would not be that great at this job. It takes a special type to grok the data well enough to spit out meaningful results.

Definitely. You could take a hardcore stats engineer and spend a day or two explaining the sorts of baseball things to mine for. It would take quite a while to take a baseball nerd and teach him the engineering side...

Probably...but I would still take a chance on it.

If I had kids, I couldn't do it. But I don't, so why not?

If the Orioles had half a clue, they would hire you and make it a reality TV show. Follow your every move in the Warehouse and document the entire thing.

I would seriously watch every single solitary second.

If the Orioles had half a clue, they would hire you and make it a reality TV show. Follow your every move in the Warehouse and document the entire thing.

What would the game part of the show be, a pool on how long until SG has a stroke or commits a murder? :P

"You signed EDWIN JACKSON for HOW MANY YEARS?"

It should generate enough MASN revenue to pay Fielder and Cespedes! The irony (and on air SG outrage at the signings) would be priceless.

Definitely. You could take a hardcore stats engineer and spend a day or two explaining the sorts of baseball things to mine for. It would take quite a while to take a baseball nerd and teach him the engineering side...

Interview question 1:

What is the difference between left outer join and right outer join?

:)

What would the game part of the show be, a pool on how long until SG has a stroke or commits a murder? :P

"You signed EDWIN JACKSON for HOW MANY YEARS?"

Come onnnnnnnnnn, have you seen TV lately? There doesn't need to be any kind of coherent point whatsoever. It could just be SG getting bleeped out every third word when they ask him to clean up a spreadsheet and summarize pitch f/x data on a guy that Keith Law thinks sucks.

I'm a EE with 18 years experience and there ain't no way I have the chops to do the SQL and (insert statistical languages I know nothing about) work they're looking for. I guess I'd be overqualified in some aspects, but wildly under-qualified in others.

In truth, I think SG could be of value to the O's dreaming up proposed trades. Nobody has ever doubted his creativity. He can just generate 1-2 proposals a day, and DD and his staff can evaluate them. If they actually follow through and propose 3-4 of them over the course of a winter, then SG has earned his (non-existent) salary. Much better use of his skills than this stats intern job.

Of course, the O's could just have their staff check the OH once a day to see what trades SG is proposing... ;)

R is a nightmare for sure, but so far, nothing I've encountered compares with IDL, which I used (or rather tried to use) during an internship at NASA.

Archived