Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ideally, we'll be able to acquire 2 of Jackson/Saunders/Floyd this offseason, not to mention Chen.

Pitching, pitching, pitching.

It would be nice to be competitive in some AL East games for once. Not saying we could win the Division, but we would be alot better.

Jackson is not another Guthrie...he is a right handed John Danks.

John just got a 5 year 65 million dollar deal if we can get Jackson for less I say pull the trigger. He would clearly be the best pitcher on our staff and wouldnt kill our budget.

I say go for it DD, we are in the Biz of getting talent and we can get this guy without giving nothing up but a reasonable contract.

Lets get better, he would help this team alot so do it DD do it.

He's a free agent.

Im actually very surprised that his name hasn't been talked about. If I remember the Twins, Angels, Rangers, and A's were all in on him with the A's winning the posting bid at $19.1 million. For the A's to bid that much they must have really liked him alot. The A's didnt want to throw a ton of money at him considering how much they spent on the posting. I would love to see us sign Jackson but I feel like he is going to go to a contender unless we blow in away with an offer and that may be the right thing to do. We need pitching bad and if it takes a crazy contract then thats just we have to do. We need to do whatever it takes to get premium talent to Baltimore. Im hoping we make a run at all three and land atleast two of Jackson, Chen, and Iwakuma.I would also be interested in Kuroda if you could talk him out of leaving the west coast. I feel like Paul Maholm is another interesting name. He would be alot cheaper then Jackson, Oswalt, or Kuroda and would most likely be much more open to coming to Baltimore. I think he could put up similar numbers to Guts and wouldnt require a absurd contract. I would love to see us land Cespedes then trade Adam Jones to the Braves for Prado, J.J., Salcedo/Minor and Simmons. You never know how Chen and Iwakuma will translate to MLB so the more depth the better.

John just got a 5 year 65 million dollar deal if we can get Jackson for less I say pull the trigger. He would clearly be the best pitcher on our staff and wouldnt kill our budget.

I say go for it DD, we are in the Biz of getting talent and we can get this guy without giving nothing up but a reasonable contract.

Lets get better, he would help this team alot so do it DD do it.

No way! I say 4/40 at the most for him. If you want 3 go less.

The O's should be interested in every pitcher in baseball.

Even R. A. Dickey?

Danks: Career ERA 4.03, ERA+ 111, WHIP 1.30

Guthrie: Career ERA 4.19, ERA+ 105, WHIP 1.29

Jackson: Career ERA 4.46, ERA+ 97, WHIP 1.48

In what way is Jackson more similar to Danks than to Guthrie, other than age? Danks is clearly better than either Guthrie or Jackson. Significantly better K rate than Guthrie, significantly better BB rate than Jackson, significantly better K/BB rate than either one of them.

As I have said, Jackson is a better pitcher than Guthrie but I am not sure I would expect better results than what Guthrie has given us.

8-12 wins, 3.8-4.25 ERA. That is what I would expect from Jackson.

His peripherals would likely be better than Guthrie but seeing as Guthrie outperforms his peripherals usually, I just don't see a difference in actual results.

I would be fine with a 2 year deal....a 3 year deal is tolerable(no more than 10M per)...anything beyond that is poor.

In what way is Jackson more similar to Danks than to Guthrie, other than age? Danks is clearly better than either Guthrie or Jackson. Significantly better K rate than Guthrie, significantly better BB rate than Jackson, significantly better K/BB rate than either one of them.

Jackson's trends are pretty darn good since 2009. I can ignore most of the issues he had before then that may be imapcting his career numbers. Guy has plus stuff and has developed much better command. I'm don't think he's worth Danks money, but he many end up not that far off. I'd probably go 4/40 or so, but I suspect he'll get more.

Jackson's ERA and FIP have steadily improved over the past 3 seasons and have been better than Guthries. As he is 28, I could see him improving more, and I don't see that with Guthrie. I think he has reached his peak and will begin to decline.

I think it's a good comparison but only over the past 3 years rather than their whole careers. Here's the Fangraphs article that compares the two of them:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/john-danks-the-left-handed-edwin-jackson/

The core of the article is taking these rates over the past 3 years (sorry for the formatting):

Name BB% K% GB% ERA- FIP- xFIP-

Jackson 7.9 18.5 44.0 93 92 95

Danks 7.7 18.2 44.5 90 92 96

Jackson has been a very solid pitcher for three consecutive seasons and anything in the annual 10-12MM range would probably be a good deal. He's young enough that 3 years shouldn't be too concerning, and if the 4th year is on a 4 yr, 36-42MM deal I would still think that's worthwhile.

I think Jackson makes sense as long as his contract isn't through the roof. He's a guy we can atleast throw out there every 5th day and know we have a decent chance to win. As sad as it sounds that's better than most of the guys we have.

I don't even think Jackson is that bad, really. Why not try for Oswalt, too? Finally do something about this pitching situation.

Archived