Prince could accept 3 year deal

Osandbohs83

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to FanGraphs he's averaged 3.3 WAR over his 7 years and if you throw out the 0.1 WAR for the 69 PA in '05 closer to 4 WAR over the past 6 seasons, and 5.1 WAR over the past 3. I would expect he produces better than that over the next 5-7 seasons.

5-7 seasons? I highly doubt he's going to surpass 5 WAR. Look at guys like Pujols and Tex who are superior players, at the age of 30 Tex was good for 4.1 WAR and 2.4 WAR at 31. Pujols in his 30's 7.1 WAR and 5.4 WAR at 31. Fielder is not the player that either of those two have been and he's not some fitness freak who is going to age well. I think he's got a very small window to play at elite status, although, he's never had a real elite WAR type season, and I don't expect him to find that as he gets older.

I would in the abstract as well. In fact I would be willing to add a series of vesting options that would extend the contract out if he continued to perform.

Absolutely. I dub the right field wall Fielder's Fence, or the standing room section Prince's Place, and pay him gobs of cash over the next three years. Vesting options will allow him to continue it.

Sadly, no way in hell it'll ever happen.

Absolutely. I dub the right field wall Fielder's Fence, or the standing room section Prince's Place, and pay him gobs of cash over the next three years. Vesting options will allow him to continue it.

Sadly, no way in hell it'll ever happen.

Give him an extra year for each time he hits the Warehouse :P

5-7 seasons? I highly doubt he's going to surpass 5 WAR. Look at guys like Pujols and Tex who are superior players, at the age of 30 Tex was good for 4.1 WAR and 2.4 WAR at 31. Pujols in his 30's 7.1 WAR and 5.4 WAR at 31. Fielder is not the player that either of those two have been and he's not some fitness freak who is going to age well. I think he's got a very small window to play at elite status, although, he's never had a real elite WAR type season, and I don't expect him to find that as he gets older.
I think he will out produce his 3.9 fWAR per over the next 5-7 years.

Why? The typical player peaks at 27. 5-7 years is a pretty long time.
Yes but Fielder is showing some consistency over the past 3 years, and generally players tend to plateau for a few years after 27. So I can see him holding on to a few 5 WAR years before dropping to a few 3 + years before declining more rapidly and and DHing for another few years at arould 2.5 WAR

So you are expecting all 350LBS of Prince Fielder to vastly improve on his average of 2.8 WAR per year? I think you get a decent 3 years out of him and he will fall off of a similar cliff that Mo Vaughn and other hefty sluggers like his father did.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

You and I both know this is grossly inacurate.

He's 5'9" and 400LBS ;)

Not only is that inaccurate and delusional, but it seems that some people have gotten into their New Year's Eve stash just a little bit early this year," Boras told ESPNChicago.com on Tuesday.
"It appears some baseball people are just bored," Boras said. "That's when you hear ideas like that floated."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/7529/boras-it-takes-more-than-3-to-get-fielder

Gotta love Boras...

Archived