Boswell: Peter Angelos is worse than Dan Snyder

Frobby

From an online chat yesterday:

Q: I find it somewhat amazing and terribly sad (because I have friends that root for both teams) that this region has seen the demise of 2 storied franchises at the hands of 2 greedy, ego-maniacal, interfering owners (Angelos and Snyder). You say the Orioles are a "doomed franchise", but given the similarities with the Redskins, are the Skins also doomed ? Happy New Year

A. Thomas Boswell:The Orioles situation is far worse. The never-ending stories out of the Warehouse, including a bunch more in the last few weeks, make Redskins Park look like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

I don't think it is impossible to go to a Super Bowl with Dan Snyder as owner. I assume he'll always be an anchor. But lots of owners have egos, insecurities, too many opinions on a sport that they bought their way into and who aren't great judges of people, either. If they learn (through pain), they can improve. Like George Steinbrenner. But I suspect it's too late for Angelos. There was a rumor that, a few months ago, he started talking to people in baseball about buying the Dodgers and that he got a universal horse laugh. That seems too far fetched to believe -- almost. The point is that the mere mention of such a possibility -- even as rumor -- had people smacking their heads and saying, "Yeah, that'll happen...as if."

http://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-boswell-010312.html

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with anything he says but this line is really disheartening:

The never-ending stories out of the Warehouse, including a bunch more in the last few weeks

I really hope this doesn't mean that he is interfering with DD making trades. Although I would not be surprised by this.

I'm not sure I get the laughing at the rumor of PA having interest in buying the Dodgers. I realize he is a laughing stock to pundits of MLB, but I don't' think that MLB management sees him as a laughing stock.

I was confused by that language too. A number of ways to take that.....none of them good.

I'll say this: IF TRUE, PA's interest in buying the Dodgers should put to bed any idea that he doesn't have the cash to increase payroll AND increase spending on the MiLs/draft/development system.

Hate to sound like I'm jumping into Trea's camp based on idle speculation, but like I said...if he has/had the money to even consider such a purchase, the state of the O's is entirely inexcusable.

I don't disagree with anything he says but this line is really disheartening:

I really hope this doesn't mean that he is interfering with DD making trades. Although I would not be surprised by this.

I haven't heard anything about this. I wonder what stories we've missed?

It seems a little crazy. You let the guy gut the front office and put his people in there but then stop him from making moves to make your onfield product better. Can anyone be that stupid?? Probably :(

I havent read the article and i already agree with Boswell. The Peter Angelos Era cant end soon enough ...and hopefully the Angelos boys either sell the team or are smart enough to not make the baseball decisions.

And at very least Snyder is willing to pay top dollar for top talent.

We don't know if Boswell is referrring to things we have heard about, or something else. For example, the news that the O's had reassigned their professional scouts to the amateur side drew a lot of criticism, and word was that the scouts were very unhappy about it. That could be the kind of thing Boswell is referencing. Or, not.

I'll say this: IF TRUE, PA's interest in buying the Dodgers should put to bed any idea that he doesn't have the cash to increase payroll AND increase spending on the MiLs/draft/development system.

Hate to sound like I'm jumping into Trea's camp based on idle speculation, but like I said...if he has/had the money to even consider such a purchase, the state of the O's is entirely inexcusable.

I think there's an important distinction to make here. I think virtually everyone agrees that Angelos is making a mint off of his MASN deal, and that those proceeds are not going towards improving the Orioles. Where many of us disagree with Trea is in his belief that Angelos will actually start using this money to sign big name free agents like Fielder. Like Boswell said, he's greedy. And he has a cash cow. People and companies who are making great sums of money on an investment don't act to lessen profitability. Particularly when they aren't the only investor and have established a terrific annual ROI. Thinking that Angelos is suddenly going to start spending big money on players is nutty. We'd all love to see the payroll increased. It's just not going to happen on any meaningful level.

Archived