I smell trades coming

Frobby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
Sure seems like something is brewing, but I swear Duq is almost harder to read than AM. I have no clue what our man is up to in that Warehouse as far as trades.

I think it may be more of things moving fast compared to AM. He's working instead of percolating..or telling everyone he is.. and no, I am not in the bash AM club.

I think it may be more of things moving fast compared to AM. He's working instead of percolating..or telling everyone he is.. and no, I am not in the bash AM club.

I was thinking about this earlier while wondering just how much he will get done once he has all "His" people in place in the FO and in the minors. I am loving what I am seeing this off season but it just has me dreaming of next year. After he has a chance to build up a little inventory to deal from.

Just a random thought.

Need to insert a picture of Duquette into that scene from Apocalypse Now where he says "I love the smell of napalm (trades, signing foreign players, picking up guys from the trash heap, etc ) in the morning" you know that's how he feels about this job now.

Chen, Guthrie, Britton, Arrieta, Matusz and Wada may be decent pitchers, but Jurrjens offers them a true TOR arm. Our staff as constructed at the momeent does not have that quality of starter IMO. I think the best way to get a team to cave is to make a move that tells the Braves that we no longer need the first player in your deal. Now, if the Orioles swing a Jackson signing into the mix than JJ would be out of the deal. Signing Chen is something we were trying to do before talks with the Braves got more active. I like that the Orioles bettered our team and became less deperate at the same time. There is a lot of ways to build a team and if an arm that was required last year is a luxury now than maybe we upgrade first or second without dealing Jones.

Chen, Guthrie, Britton, Arrieta, Matusz and Wada may be decent pitchers, but Jurrjens offers them a true TOR arm. Our staff as constructed at the momeent does not have that quality of starter IMO. I think the best way to get a team to cave is to make a move that tells the Braves that we no longer need the first player in your deal. Now, if the Orioles swing a Jackson signing into the mix than JJ would be out of the deal. Signing Chen is something we were trying to do before talks with the Braves got more active. I like that the Orioles bettered our team and became less deperate at the same time. There is a lot of ways to build a team and if an arm that was required last year is a luxury now than maybe we upgrade first or second without dealing Jones.
No he doesn't.

Pardo to the O's;

Bergy or Simon and a minor leaguer to Team X

A leftfielder to the Braves from Team X

Prado is a leadoff hitter who can play 3B. He had a bad year but has been a high OBP guy in the past . His salary of about 5M fits in the O's budget.

With the Braves Prado is an infielder playing in the outfield. They need a leftfielder.

While I'd like to see some trades just for the excitment, I'm not so sure we see much of anything. Duquette said he wanted to buildup an inventory of starting pitchers. He's done that. So why should I expect him to trade some of them now? He'll have one or two (Matusz) at AAA for depth and he'll have some (Eveland/Hunter) in the bullpen for depth. I still don't expect Guthrie to get traded, as he's part of that 1,000 innings, that Duke keeps talking about.

I tend to agree with this. Unless DD can get something for guys that are out of options who are unlikely to make the rotation or bullpen.

Bergesen and Birken for example.

Pardo to the O's;

Bergy or Simon and a minor leaguer to Team X

A leftfielder to the Braves from Team X

Prado is a leadoff hitter who can play 3B. He had a bad year but has been a high OBP guy in the past . His salary of about 5M fits in the O's budget.

With the Braves Prado is an infielder playing in the outfield. They need a leftfielder.

Prado is worth more than that.

Prado is worth more than that.

Agreed and also agree JJ is nothing more than a 3/4 at best in the AL East...plain and simple.

Now Callaspo just makes since to me because this is the exact player DD has told Roch is out there that meets the .380ish obp who can play second and a spot of need for us, 3rd.

I am not saying this is what I would do, unless we aren't giving up to much...I like him as a player and think he is one of the better leadoff hitters who I can see us realistically getting.

There are plenty of combos with these teams that make some sense, so well see.

Everything tells me DD wants another proven insurance for 2nd and 3rd plus he is a leadoff hitter with 2 more years left of control that we can turn into another future asset.

This team needs to start recycling players some to develop more assets that our new (and hopefully improved, all signs point to improvement aside from the scouting timing thing) front office has targeted as apart of a WINNING orioles team.

Lets trade a pitching prospect like we did with Hayden Penn, get some value versus who having guys washed out of baseball while still an oriole like is typical. Our front office has to determine these type guys and DD seems to already be doing that with the Martin/Miclat/Henry types.

Agreed and also agree JJ is nothing more than a 3/4 at best in the AL East...plain and simple.

Now Callaspo just makes since to me because this is the exact player DD has told Roch is out there that meets the .380ish obp who can play second and a spot of need for us, 3rd.

I am not saying this is what I would do, unless we aren't giving up to much...I like him as a player and think he is one of the better leadoff hitters who I can see us realistically getting.

There are plenty of combos with these teams that make some sense, so well see.

Everything tells me DD wants another proven insurance for 2nd and 3rd plus he is a leadoff hitter with 2 more years left of control that we can turn into another future asset.

This team needs to start recycling players some to develop more assets that our new (and hopefully improved, all signs point to improvement aside from the scouting timing thing) front office has targeted as apart of a WINNING orioles team.

Lets trade a pitching prospect like we did with Hayden Penn, get some value versus who having guys washed out of baseball while still an oriole like is typical. Our front office has to determine these type guys and DD seems to already be doing that with the Martin/Miclat/Henry types.

What pitching prospect? The ones of value Britton, Matusz, and Arrieta are worth more than Callaspo. Tillman or Bergesen wouldn't be enough.

Archived