Roberts to miss FanFest to avoid stress, Duquette wants him to reconsider

JTrea81

Couldn't disagree with you more. We have every right to be upset. I'm a fan. I want to see the Orioles win. Brian's huge contract and lack of ability to play baseball are hurting our chances to win. I'm not mad at him as a person, but this situation sucks. We don't have much money, and what money we do have we're giving to a guy who can't play baseball.

So if you're 65 years old, have spent your entire life living your dream job with one company...are diagnosed with a potentially permanent disability and have no means for potential future employment. You would resign from your job (or workout a buyout?) and not take the benefits to help the team out (from a cost perspective, as your employer bears a significant portion of the cost?) The very team that you have given your life too and performed at an exceptional level for? It doesn't make a difference if we make a million dollars or not. You're questioning an Oriole career player here...we are not dealing with Alberte Belle.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry. I don't agree. No one is saying he has to sign thousands of autographs. And, yes, his condition is a serious one. But, show up, shake some hands, kiss some babies, and leave. No one is asking him to be there all day. As I said, he along with Markakis, is the face of this franchise and one of the most recognizable names to even the fans that barely no anything or don't even care about the Orioles anymore. Again, he is someone's hero. Act like it.

This may be your opinion...but did you give it any thought at all? I mean seriously....any?

It doesn't matter if Roberts is there only an hour...it could aggravate his situation ten fold. At this point I think Roberts playing career is probably over...I'm sure he wants to just try to regain some normalcy. You know...like feeling human! As far as your statement about Roberts needs to act like a hero. Wow...just wow. Do you realize what he's done through his foundation? You might want to just re-think your position a bit.

This may be your opinion...but did you give it any thought at all? I mean seriously....any?

It doesn't matter if Roberts is there only an hour...it could aggravate his situation ten fold. At this point I think Roberts playing career is probably over...I'm sure he wants to just try to regain some normalcy. You know...like feeling human! As far as your statement about Roberts needs to act like a hero. Wow...just wow. Do you realize what he's done through his foundation? You might want to just re-think your position a bit.

Nah, I think I've stated my position. So has Dan Duquette.

This is the problem with concussions. No real way to know how bad his symptoms are, if he can come to FanFest, or if he could play...but I get the nagging feeling that if Brian Roberts played for a playoff team last year he would have been back on the field at some point. I think he has lost his desire to play for the Baltimore Orioles. I would like to release him and move on.

Ridiculous. Brian Roberts has busted his ass for this team and they have sucked literally since we drafted him. If he's lost his desire to play it's probably because playing is a bit difficult DUE TO HIS SEVERE BRAIN DAMAGE. You think Sidney Crosby lost his desire to play, too? Or did his eyeballs lose the desire to focus on objects on account of his. Brain. Being. Damaged.

Is that supposed to make me feel sorry for Roberts? Please.

I really don't give a damn what you feel, I'm just mocking someone who lacks even a basic sense of priority.

Humanity should make you feel sorry for Roberts but evidently you lack that as well.

Another thing -- there will be dozens of players and former players there signing autographs. It doesn't make a big change in the event if Brian's not there. There's already a couple of healthy Orioles (like Guthrie) who decided not to go for their own reasons. At least we know Brian has a medical reason.

Clearly the Orioles don't think it is a legit medical reason or DD would not have made the comments he did.

Its great that Brian has done things for Baltimore and his fans....But what if he is milking this injury...It's not like it doesn't happen all over baseball.

Maybe he is a guy sick of playing for a losing team and using this injury as an excuse to get away...You get a sense some orioles staff are getting some what upset over Brian's recent history..

I just think everyone so quick to give him the benefit of the doubt might be being somewhat naive...This guy has shown poor character in the past (steriod debacle) which was common in Baseball at the time...But guys prolonging vacations on the DL has gone on forever in the game and with a head injury it is easy to get away from a miserable losing team.

Idk if this is the case or not but I have to think we must at least consider it, DD's comment makes it seem at least possible, thats for sure.

I get the nagging feeling that if Brian Roberts played for a playoff team last year he would have been back on the field at some point. I think he has lost his desire to play for the Baltimore Orioles. I would like to release him and move on.
Bingo.

And just to be clear, your "nagging feeling" is based on ZERO evidence.

If you were injured on the job, would you take a pay cut so the company could find your replacement?

I get that the dollars are vastly different between what he makes and what we make... but that's essentially what you're asking him to do. Would it be a good gesture? Sure. Should he do that? No. Would the Players Association roast him alive for it? Probably.

Actually, that's not how it works. If you get injured on the job, you receive workers compensation, and if you reach a point of permanent disability and do not return to work, you receive (in most states) only 60-67% of your annual salary. So, in fact, you do take a pay cut, as long as you don't return to work. Most companies encourage and welcome "return to work" options (and return to full salary), because in the long run it saves them a bundle on work comp costs in the form of premium paid to insurers. And if you don't, or can't, return to work, employers most certainly find a replacement. Or they just ask your coworkers to make up for the lost production, but that's a different analogy... Just sayin'...

And for those criticizing Brian Roberts to hand in his spikes, the O's no doubt have some type of insurance covering his sunk costs with this injury. If the O's are losing $10M the next two years due to his condition (after insurance recovery)....would you lack empathy and ask him to push compensation if it really did not change the bottom line?

So if you're 65 years old, have spent your entire life living your dream job with one company...are diagnosed with a potentially permanent disability and have no means for potential future employment. You would resign from your job (or workout a buyout?) and not take the benefits to help the team out (from a cost perspective, as your employer bears a significant portion of the cost?) The very team that you have given your life too and performed at an exceptional level for? It doesn't make a difference if we make a million dollars or not. You're questioning an Oriole career player here...we are not dealing with Alberte Belle.

What do you mean? This is the MLB. If you can't play, you shouldn't be getting paid. I'm not suggesting doing anything unfair by Roberts. Come to a settlement with him. Get him a job with the organization. I have the utmost respect for him as a person and what he used to be as a player. But he's hurting the team right now.

If any one did that they wouldn't be posting in this thread.

What do you mean? This is the MLB. If you can't play, you shouldn't be getting paid. I'm not suggesting doing anything unfair by Roberts. Come to a settlement with him. Get him a job with the organization. I have the utmost respect for him as a person and what he used to be as a player. But he's hurting the team right now.

By not playing....the rest is speculative, where are you going with this? He has a guaranteed contract...all MLB contracts are risky. The O's knew that when they extended Roberts (after his dislocated elbow injury) and likely have insurance compensation. So what should they do? Work out a buyout with Roberts to save the insurance company money?

What if Brian Roberts has a chance to play in 2013? Never said a buyout shouldn't be discussed, but has it ever really happened before? Maybe insurance is the reason behind this?

Archived