Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

My coach was so dumb we had a pitcher that threw 50-60 mph in our rotation ONLY because he was a LEFTY.

Actually he last 2 starts because he got rocked, but still a stupid decision.

And don't get me started on his bunting approach.

That isn't unusual. Every kid that's over six feet tall and left handed is made a pitcher no matter his ability. A kid I grew up with was lefthanded, about 6'3'', and topped out about 80 mph. It was still good enough to get drafted by the Marlins. No matter that he was terrible, fat, and his nickname was "Wedgeford" (because the pants rode up his fat a-s after every pitch he made). Baseball is full of little prejudices, especially at the lower levels.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Brandon Wood in this organization would be ranked with Wieters if not AHEAD of Wieters on our top prospect list.

While we're on the subject of how our prospect list would be affected by major trades, if we were to get Wood, Kershaw and LaRoche, I think they could all rank above Wieters. Kershaw definitely would. I could see:

1. Kershaw

2. Wood

3. LaRoche

4. Wieters

5. Rowell

I think we'd immediately be one of the top 4 or 5 systems in baseball. But of course, only if things go very right.

Wow, where's your jump to conclusion mat? I'm simply saying I'd like to know what else is out there to compare to Wood. Sheesh.

Dude, I'm not trying to bust you but you've been unreasonably low on Wood throughout this discussion. Is he Ted Williams incarnate? No. Is he "Devi Cruz with more power?" That's almost as absurd a comparison as the William's one. The fact of the matter is we are in the position of trading our proven major leaguers for prospects. Every prospect we bring in- no matter who- is going to have question marks. I'm pretty damn happy if we get Wood back for Tejada. That isn't enough for you. Okay. All I'm simply asking is what would you be happy with that was a reasonable return for Tejada that didn't have question marks?

Dude, I'm not trying to bust you but you've been unreasonably low on Wood throughout this discussion. Is he Ted Williams incarnate? No. Is he "Devi Cruz with more power?" That's almost as absurd a comparison as the William's one. The fact of the matter is we are in the position of trading our proven major leaguers for prospects. Every prospect we bring in- no matter who- is going to have question marks. I'm pretty damn happy if we get Wood back for Tejada. That isn't enough for you. Okay. All I'm simply asking is what would you be happy with that was a reasonable return for Tejada that didn't have question marks?

You're right that any prospect is going to have a question mark, I'm not debating that. However, I don't like the deficiencies in his game.

I don't know who else is out there that we could realistically trade Tejada for, I don't know what peace, bb and belkast have heard as far as other prospects that have been discussed for Tejada.

I'm not looking for Ted Williams, but I'm not super psyched about a whiff machine with a low on base percentage because he can hit the ball out of the park on the occasions he does make contact. Is that worth Tejada? To you, apparently it is. I'd just like someone who's better at getting on base and won't be striking out 150+ times in the big leagues.

3rd baseman typically have as strong or stronger arms than SS's in the majors. Eckstein is example A.

That isn't true. Eckstein is a bad defensive ss.

Who has the better arm? Tejada or Mora? Arod or Jeter? Ocab or Figgins? I don't like making "You're wrong" statements because most of this board is opinion and that's great and what it's here for. But in this case, you're wrong. SS requires a better arm; it's that simple.

Who has the better arm? Tejada or Mora? Arod or Jeter? Ocab or Figgins? I don't like making "You're wrong" statements because most of this board is opinion and that's great and what it's here for. But in this case, you're wrong. SS requires a better arm; it's that simple.

Belanger or Brooks? Sadly, Blade is gone, but I would love it if someone out there asked Brooks this question if they ever run into him.

Haha. That's funny. Before I got to the end of this, I was like...I see where this guy is going. Arod has the better arm than Jeter and Miggy clearly has a better arm than Mora...although, I didn't know between OCab and Figgins. Then I got to the end. That was hilarious. You can't actually think that Jeter's arm is better than Arod's!

Ok, back to the thread...took me a minute. I am happy to get Wood back in a trade with the Angels for Miggy. The problem is Saunders. I just don't think that is enough. Wood and Santana, ok. Wood and a young reliever with a power arm, ok. Wood and Saunders, eh...I could leave that. Apparently KRod might be on the block, could we trade Miggy and Hoey for KRod and Wood? That is a trade I'd love to make.

3rd baseman typically have as strong or stronger arms than SS's in the majors. Eckstein is example A.

I am not saying 3rd baseman have a stronger arm or not. I am saying it is harder to throw out a runner from SS position than 3B position. I thought this was common knowledge.

Look at the size of 3rd baseman today. They are generally huge, hence the strong arms.

Haha. That's funny. Before I got to the end of this, I was like...I see where this guy is going. Arod has the better arm than Jeter and Miggy clearly has a better arm than Mora...although, I didn't know between OCab and Figgins. Then I got to the end. That was hilarious. You can't actually think that Jeter's arm is better than Arod's!

Ok, back to the thread...took me a minute. I am happy to get Wood back in a trade with the Angels for Miggy. The problem is Saunders. I just don't think that is enough. Wood and Santana, ok. Wood and a young reliever with a power arm, ok. Wood and Saunders, eh...I could leave that. Apparently KRod might be on the block, could we trade Miggy and Hoey for KRod and Wood? That is a trade I'd love to make.

it would take a lot more than Miggy and Hoey just to get KRod, forget Wood.

Archived