Nestor & Flanny speak on rally

ex-man O

“They may not say it publicly, but they’re very upset by it,” Flanagan said of the players in the Orioles’ clubhouse. “I just think you don’t want your fan base turning against you.”

Aparicio says the target of animosity isn’t the team itself, but Angelos, who led a group that bought the club in August 1993.

That's not what Nestor said this morning in his long rambling speech about himself and his "divorce from his true love" that will take place today. Angelos is the catalyst for all of this, but Flanagan's right about the big picture and the fans turning on "them". People may say "No no no, the fans are only upset at Angelos" but as Nestor went on about, today is symbolic of how the community has lost interest and shifted towards the Ravens. He and other are saying how they're done with the Orioles and even done with baseball altogether.

That doesn't sound like people demanding something better, it sounds like everyone changing the channel. The former would be good for the team, that's what the players have been doing. The latter is bad for the team, that's what Flanagan's talking about.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The players aren't that stupid, they know the protest is about Angelos and not them. Flanagans an idiot.

Can't speak for the players but as long as the check clears on the 1st and 15th, I don't think they care, especially at this point.

Flanagan can talk all we wants, but he's been a major force in this organization for 3-4 years, and his record speaks of abject failure. angelos does come out of his vault, like a groundhog, once a year and pronounces the next season will be different and better. Either he knows better and is a liar, or is ignorant. Your call, but those are the only choices.

Everyone knows what this team needs, and what they've needed for a few years, 1B/LF/DH/SP.

This team needs to make up 25 games to be in a September race and 30 games to be in the playoffs. Bedard, Markakis, Ray, Loewen, Brob getting better next year doesn't get past the hurdle.

Either Flanny and angelos put up or they should go away.

How will it bother them? If they read the newspapers at all then they know what's going on. They might actually be amused by it all.
To see it actually happen could leave more of an impact.

Anyway, I don't get this picketing thing they're doing outside the stadium anyway. I mentioned that that's what they should do from the start, and not bother buying tickets to the game, and people mentioned needing to buy licenses to picket or something. So why not just save some money and do the picketing right off the bat? Don't give Angelos any money (no matter how insignificant it may be) and don't do anything that might make the players think "Jeez what ELSE is wrong with this team?!"

I would say that half the people who attend this rally aren't true Orioles fans to begin with.

Regardless of how much you hate PA or the lack of success we've had the past 9 years, true fans would stay behind the team.

Walking out an hour the game is only going to look foolish. If you are upset with Angelos why did you pay him to attend the game? Why did you stay for an hour of the game?

Flanagan is trying to manipulate people. He is saying that those in black would be turning on the players. By saying this he hopes people will reconsider and not come because they don't want to hurt the players feelings.

But Flanagan knows better. He knows that this protest is NOT against the players. It is against the lousy owner and a FO that are a bunch of yes men.

Ownership has disrespected the community for years now and it is coming back to haunt them.

I think most of the players will understand what the fans are doing and know that it is shining a light on Angelos. I think most players will quietly smile to themselves.

Some people seem more concerned about the people involved with the protest taking and receiving undue credit for things that would probably take place anyway. Again, who cares? The bottom line, is that it's sending a simple message that the fans are fed up.
Thank you. As I've said before, I don't care how big Nestor's hat size gets after this. At least something is being attempted.

Yep. I never was a big supporter of the protest but the timing of it is just completely wrong. This may be a worse season than 2005 but there are signs of hope; Bedard blossoming, Loewen coming into his own, Markakis putting up good numbers. There's a plan in effect, and whether or not it's a very good one or if it succeeds, that's a lot more than we could have said about the previous eight years. While I'd like a new owner as much as the next guy, all this is going to do is bring more bad publicity for a team that already has an overabundance of it. And Nestor probably couldn't care either way, just as long as his name and radio station are heard by everyone involved.

When your expectations have been lowered, it isn't difficult to meet them.

What makes a better TV moment? Picketing in front of a stadium or 10,000 people getting up in the middle of a game and leaving at the same time? If they pull it off, they'll get a lot more attention this way.

It will be interesting to see if this gets prominent mention on the early edition of Sports Center. It's not like there is much else for them to report at that time of day.

What makes a better TV moment? Picketing in front of a stadium or 10,000 people getting up in the middle of a game and leaving at the same time? If they pull it off, they'll get a lot more attention this way.

What if the scores 10-0 one way or another at this point? Masses of people leaving isn't going to seem like anything.

Also the Orioles don't have to capture this TV moment, especially since they know when it's going to occur.

Funny how some of the haters on here thought this wouldn't get any press coverage at all.

I'll be honest. It's gotten more national press than I ever thought it would. Good point about the camera's not even showing the folks leaving...hadn't thought of that.

What if the scores 10-0 one way or another at this point? Masses of people leaving isn't going to seem like anything.

Also the Orioles don't have to capture this TV moment, especially since they know when it's going to occur.

What if 5:08 is in between innings? Do they hold on until they come back and start the inning?

I would say that half the people who attend this rally aren't true Orioles fans to begin with.

Regardless of how much you hate PA or the lack of success we've had the past 9 years, true fans would stay behind the team.

Walking out an hour the game is only going to look foolish. If you are upset with Angelos why did you pay him to attend the game? Why did you stay for an hour of the game?

Someone once said that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

If patriotism is allegiance to one's counrty, and fanaticsm is an allegiance to one's team. Then, dissent is the highest form of allegiance to one's team :D

Notwithstanding, apathy is the true enemy

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

Archived