Nestor & Flanny speak on rally

ex-man O

I think what Fan4Life is saying is that there isn't supposed to be an effect. People are doing it to "cleanse" themselves or something...

No problem with that, whatsoever. You do whatever the hell it is you gotta do.

My "problem" (and it's not really a problem) is Nestor's portrayal of his former devotion to the O's. His "marriage" to the O's. Someone give this guy an Oscar!!!!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you showed your position for this action when you didn't sign up for it, isn't that enough? Is it necessary to convey to all those involved, who have spent time and money, made an effort, that you think they are all wasting their time?

I didn't sign up for it because i have a job and need to work.

I don't need to be in a rally to protest my issues. I have done that with upper management within the organization and have done it alot on here.

I think you showed your position for this action when you didn't sign up for it, isn't that enough? Is it necessary to convey to all those involved, who have spent time and money, made an effort, that you think they are all wasting their time?

Pardon me for answering for SG, but I don't think he's saying they are all wasting their time. He's saying this protest won't change anything. It's never a waste of time to stand up and do something you believe in, whether you get the results you want or not. My mother-in-law is always telling me I wasting my vote because I tend to vote for Libertarian and other 3rd party candidates. How is expressing my opinion through my actions wasting my vote? it's the same for this. If you feel strongly that Peter G. Angelos and his management style has ruined the storied Baltimore Orioles franchise, go to the game today, cheer loudly (or as loud as the ushers will let you), boo the Tigers, do some Wild Bill O-R-I-O-L-E-S community spelling bees, then walk out at 5:08.

I didn't sign up for it because i have a job and need to work.

I don't need to be in a rally to protest my issues. I have done that with upper management within the organization and have done it alot on here.

Ok, I have no problem with your expressing the ins and outs of why you do or don't do anything... if/when your comments affect others, it gets a little more complicated.

I have a job and have to work as well, I also live 3 states away... but I pledged to buy 2 tickets for others to join the protest on my behalf... so, I tried...

My thoughts exactly. If other, just as obvious, indicators aren't making a dent, this won't either. And it has possible long term negative effects on how the fan base itself is perceived.

I disagree - the protest is well thought out - it show's a love of the game - a knowledge of Orioles history and traditions (5/8) and is respectful. I think it reflects positively on the fan base.

Peter will hate this kind of publicity - he may not do anything about it - but he will hate it. At some point he may just say "i'm too old for this crap" and move on.

I understand that, just saying that there are times that this may seem odd to leave. Someone posted that what if it's in the middle of a 3 run HR by an O and everyone is clapping and going nuts. Ok everyone get up and start leaving! Just seems odd to do. Will that happen? Most likely not. I'm sure it will go off without a hitch when nothing is happening but still, there is that chance.

I think it's all the more powerful a statement if something like that is going on. If I was an organizer of this - that's what I would hope for (if the protesters are disciplined) can you imagine the impact of 7,500 people walking out while three runners are on base with Tejada coming to bat or someone's pitching a no hitter or whatever - it just heightens the drama - anything you can do to heighten "the wow" factor that will make it more interesting to print and electronic media.

The symbolism of this walkout could be great:

The protestors are there cheering and screaming for the Orioles for about an hour or 1/3 of the game. Then they turn and walk out. Peter Angelos' first 1/3 of his ownership tenure consisted of winning seasons in '94, '96 & '97 then he turned his back on the fans and directed this franchise into the laughing stock it is.

Flannagan's comments are totally cynical and disingenuous. I know damned well that the players know this protest isn't about them. He's trying to deflect attention away from management and cry, "but what about the poor players?" Give me a break! There is not one person who's ever heard about baseball that doesn't know what this protest is directed towards.

Flannagan proves himself, yet again, to be the Angelos lap-dog I knew him to be.

Of course Flannagan is going to say something like that. I can't believe you would expect otherwise? He's on the payroll - what do you expect him to say? He's doing his job.

A buddy of mine who works in the warehouse has said like ten people have mentioned the rally today. "how dumb is this protest today? what do they think they'll achieve?" was the common theme. Well according to him (maybe the only brain in there, too bad he's at the lowest level), the warehouse is a bunch of morons for not realizing that just the fact they're talking about it has already made it somewhat of a success. it's definitely gotten the attention at the highest levels. very exciting.

A buddy of mine who works in the warehouse has said like ten people have mentioned the rally today. "how dumb is this protest today? what do they think they'll achieve?" was the common theme. Well according to him (maybe the only brain in there, too bad he's at the lowest level), the warehouse is a bunch of morons for not realizing that just the fact they're talking about it has already made it somewhat of a success. it's definitely gotten the attention at the highest levels. very exciting.

Good to know (that they know) and then not good to know (that they aren't taking is seriously).

Good to know (that they know) and then not good to know (that they aren't taking is seriously).

Honestly what would you expect? The sun will rise tomorrow for these guys.

If they finally put a winner on the field, this will become a distant memory.

The only variable is IF they will do it.

This thread should be considered for placement in the "Classic" section. It contains a lot of passion, apathy, humor, sarcasm, personal attacks...a lot of good commentary on both sides of the issue. Its been very interesting, enlightening, and entertaining.

Archived