I really like what Duquette is doing

connja

Depth, depth, depth.

With little other options avaiable upon taking this job, DD has quickly and effeciently built up the organziational depth. He's done this without trading any of our young cornerstones (so far), or spending a lot of money in the free agent market. I view this as the first phase of a multi-phase approach.

Based on the much better depth, you'd expect to have more competition in spring training. this can only be beneficial in seperating the men from the boys. We will have somewhere around 12 SP candidates going into the spring. Best case sceanrio is you have more than 5 guys perform well enough in spring to warrent a rotation spot.

This would trigger the next phase of development....trades. Many of the peices we have now will be marketable either during spring training, or at the deadline. This will be how we turn mid-level, reasoanbly priced aquisitions into solid prospects down the road. So the more peices, the better.

So to me, this approach really helps us in the long term by providing the organization solid trade chips down the road that can be turned into prospects. At the same time, this could also help us be a more competitive team this year by increasing the competition, along with some even marginal growth from our young players.

Furthermore, I don't think this strategy precludes us from signing a prince either, although it doesn't appear that will happen. It's just a good solid strategy for stocking the organization. So while he hasn't pulled off any huge trades or FA signings, I'd expect we've signed more players int he last 3 months than any recent period. If a percentage of these low risk signings work out, it's a win.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with the OP.

I also like that DD has identified fundamental things he's after, has shared them with us the fans, and then has gone and added them.

Defense--Miller, Chavez, Teagarden, Antonelli (from what DD said)

OBP--Antonelli, Flaherty, Betemit

P's with 200 inning potential--Chen, Wada, Eveland

International talent--too many to list at both ML and MiL levels

I'm with the OP.

I also like that DD has identified fundamental things he's after, has shared them with us the fans, and then has gone and added them.

Exactly....I felt that AM tried to do this.....talked about commitment to draft and international, etc. but never came through. DD is making good on what he said he would do...very quickly. Also reshaped the entire front office in a very short period.

I'm with the OP.

This. I like what he is doing... We just really need to raise some all-stars to go with all of this depth. Without real difference makers we can never be anything more than mediocre.

There will be some unexpected dead weight on the roster for one reason or another (see Pie 2011) but I do feel that the team is better insured for injury or poor performance by starters than in some years past.

The extra bench and bullpen depth are a good change to be sure. But since the SP crew and main lineup haven't been altered much, in most likelihoods we'll have to rely once again on improvements by our returning players if we're going to see a substantial jump in win total.

Great a bunch of bench players added but no starters. Right not who is our starting third baseman, our starting second baseman, our DH, our first baseman, and our left fielder?

You may not like the answers, but you know them.

Reynolds starts at 3B

Andino starts at 2B (could be a competition in ST with Antonelli and Flaherty, with Andino the utility guy)

Davis starts at 1B

Reimold starts in LF

DH revolves based on pitcher, rest days, and defensive alignment

I'm with the OP.

I'm not with the opening post or this post at all. If we were a playoff contender, I'd be on board with these modest improvements. Sadly, we're not and these players -- if they work out -- might get us an extra win or two which I don't find particularly important.

It would be a shock if Chen, Wada or Eveland pitched 200 big league innings this year. It's pretty sad when we're projecting big things about a Rule V guy.

Rather than worry about our backup catcher or acquire a 30 year old 4th outfielder, I'd much rather we spend our resources to bring in young talent who might be with this team when it is a contender.

I can't think of one player move that went in this direction.

You may not like the answers, but you know them.

Reynolds starts at 3B

Andino starts at 2B (could be a competition in ST with Antonelli and Flaherty, with Andino the utility guy)

Davis starts at 1B

Reimold starts in LF

DH revolves based on pitcher, rest days, and defensive alignment

So Basically the same mess that we had last year.

I'm not with the opening post or this post at all. If we were a playoff contender, I'd be on board with these modest improvements. Sadly, we're not and these players -- if they work out -- might get us an extra win or two which I don't find particularly important.

It would be a shock if Chen, Wada or Eveland pitched 200 big league innings this year. It's pretty sad when we're projecting big things about a Rule V guy.

Rather than worry about our backup catcher or acquire a 30 year old 4th outfielder, I'd much rather we spend our resources to bring in young talent who might be with this team when it is a contender.

I can't think of one player move that went in this direction.

I don't get the bolded. Spend to get young talent? You draft young talent. And have to spend when you go overslot, which the O's have been doing. You can also trade for young talent. We don't have much that will get us a ton. I could see dealing Jones, and would support that for the right haul. If DD is not seeing that haul, he isn't pulling the trigger. Can't blame him there. He's working with the hand we was dealt. And it seems like he's making smart, but not earth-shattering moves.

I'm with the OP.

Antonelli has never had an extended look at the ML. He may have minor league OBP but how will he stack up against Sabathia, Beckett, or Price?

Flaherty has never been to the majors and put up a .277 OBP in AAA. Enough said.

I'm not particularly a negative nancy but DD addressed these things in a fantasy world.

Betemit is a decent signing but nothing to write home about.

Archived