Russ Canzler put on waivers (update: Indians acquire Canzler)

.500_OR_BETTER

Chris Davis has been touted as an above average defender at first. I think you are probably right about not having a slot on our 40 man.

Yeah I am very skeptical of Chris's D to this point...Kinda in a show me mode...At first I expect him to be average or slightly worse at third I think you got another wilson betimit.

I really only see to 3rd basemen on the roster and that is Antonelli and Andino...I just hope the Buck limits the others time there as much as is feasible.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I am very skeptical of Chris's D to this point...Kinda in a show me mode...At first I expect him to be average or slightly worse at third I think you got another wilson betimit.

I really only see to 3rd basemen on the roster and that is Antonelli and Andino...I just hope the Buck limits the others time there as much as is feasible.

The MLB Network Sabrmetric show just justified Reynolds at third even with last season's defense.

The MLB Network Sabrmetric show just justified Reynolds at third even with last season's defense.

Reynolds has more value at third because of his bat,,,,But that same bat we can have at DH and put an above average glove at third and be a better team because that glove will save us countless runs and get our pitchers out of so many jams.

I just can't see our pitching taking the next step without a much better D behind them....Reynolds is the worst fielder on the worst fielding team in baseball....He's the worst fielder in the game at any spot....Basically at last years levels saying Mark helps more at 3rd then DH is basically saying anyone should play any spot regardless of there glove based soely on there bat...It just is illogical...If mark is really the guy we saw last year on D (He may or may not be going further) then playing him at 3rd is a waste of his 8 million bucks.

Everybody is more valuable in the field versus DH in reason, but still to play him at 3rd is a huge burden to our pitching and idk that WAR captures that....Which is how many people frame the debate of his value to our team versus other alignments.

Reynolds has more value at third because of his bat,,,,But that same bat we can have at DH and put an above average glove at third and be a better team because that glove will save us countless runs and get our pitchers out of so many jams.

I just can't see our pitching taking the next step without a much better D behind them....Reynolds is the worst fielder on the worst fielding team in baseball....He's the worst fielder in the game at any spot....Basically at last years levels saying Mark helps more at 3rd then DH is basically saying anyone should play any spot regardless of there glove based soely on there bat...It just is illogical...If mark is really the guy we saw last year on D (He may or may not be going further) then playing him at 3rd is a waste of his 8 million bucks.

Everybody is more valuable in the field versus DH in reason, but still to play him at 3rd is a huge burden to our pitching and idk that WAR captures that....Which is how many people frame the debate of his value to our team versus other alignments.

The stat guys say otherwise. Not me, them.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/shows/?id=25775158

Maybe they think he will perform like he did two years ago.

Dunno.

I went to just about every Durham Bulls game last year and I say without hesitation we should get this guy in our organization. First, and most importantly, he is a man of integrity who will represent the Orioles in a way that would please the fanbase and alumni (he is facebook friends with my daughter and simply a great guy). Second, dude can rake. I think part of the problem with the Rays is that Russ just doesn't seem to have a position of expertise. They played him at 3B, 1B, and OF. He was okay but not great at any position. I would suggest we sign him as a 3B (since that is where we have a shortage) and let him fight his way onto the roster or play at Norfolk. We need guys like this in our system!

He'd definitely be worth having on the roster over Flaherty. I honestly have no faith he will stick on the ML club and having him on the roster is just keeping the Orioles from taking chances like this one which have tons more potential, IMO.

He's intriguing, but just compare to Chris Davis. They were both in AAA last year, but Davis out-OPS'd him by 300 points. Canzler just hit AAA at 25, Davis was a productive major leaguer at 22.

If you can stash him away in AAA or something like that I'd love to have him as deep depth. But I'm not seeing the case (not that it can't be made) to put him above Davis on the depth chart.

Archived