Been looking at some mock drafts as of late...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For our resident scout types, how good is the Russell kid at Pace HS in FL? I got a chance to see him and came away with a big wow. He makes it look unfair at the high school level.

Very good. Likely 2b or 3b, not ss. Great athlete. 1st Rd consideration, but probably not top 10.

2011 summer (Tournament of Stars):

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVS28T4bog?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVS28T4bog?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2010 summer (Under Armour All-America Game):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx5FKmRNjI?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx5FKmRNjI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Very good. Likely 2b or 3b, not ss. Great athlete. 1st Rd consideration, but probably not top 10.

2011 summer (Tournament of Stars):

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVS28T4bog?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVS28T4bog?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2010 summer (Under Armour All-America Game):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx5FKmRNjI?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx5FKmRNjI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Stotle I am not questioning you at all, but why is he not looked at as a SS at the professional level? I saw him in a game where both teams were top 20 teams nationally and even to me it was obvious that no one on the field could hold his jock. I did not see a weakness in his game and he really did not look like the kind of guy that was going to outgrow SS. If his power plays at SS it would have to be huge. He hit a dinger in the game that was absolutely crushed and put on a show in BP. I am honestly asking so I know what I am looking at. I see a fair number of games where I am just watching to support guys I coach or have coached in football and I like knowing what I am seeing. Thanks.

Stotle I am not questioning you at all, but why is he not looked at as a SS at the professional level? I saw him in a game where both teams were top 20 teams nationally and even to me it was obvious that no one on the field could hold his jock. I did not see a weakness in his game and he really did not look like the kind of guy that was going to outgrow SS. If his power plays at SS it would have to be huge. He hit a dinger in the game that was absolutely crushed and put on a show in BP. I am honestly asking so I know what I am looking at. I see a fair number of games where I am just watching to support guys I coach or have coached in football and I like knowing what I am seeing. Thanks.

His range is already questionable and he's built to thicken, not long and lean. That said, he has an excellent glove and played very well at 3b and 2b at times over the summer. I think he could be an above-average defender at either of those spots.

EDIT -- I should say, maybe you can hold onto hope that he ends-up with a Tejada-esque profile. Limited range but enough arm to at least make him a fringe-average to average defender for some portion of his career. But I'd say that is a high-risk propostion.

His range is already questionable and he's built to thicken, not long and lean. That said, he has an excellent glove and played very well at 3b and 2b at times over the summer. I think he could be an above-average defender at either of those spots.

See if I saw`what scouts are seeing. I saw a hitter that reminded me of miggy but had a good approach at the plate.

See if I saw`what scouts are seeing. I saw a hitter that reminded me of miggy but had a good approach at the plate.

HA! Did you see my edit before you posted this? Be honest...!

As far as approach, it was solid over the summer -- inconsistent at times. I can't speak to the competition he was facing when you saw him. It's obviously easier to pitch spot against a typical HS arm than it is to do so against someone throwing 89-93 and flashing a couple of solid secondaries.

HA! Did you see my edit before you posted this? Be honest...!

As far as approach, it was solid over the summer -- inconsistent at times. I can't speak to the competition he was facing when you saw him. It's obviously easier to pitch spot against a typical HS arm than it is to do so against someone throwing 89-93 and flashing a couple of solid secondaries.

LOL, I honestly did not see your edit. But that makes me feel good that I have am not clueless looking at a player.

Player avg gp-gs ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi tb slg% bbMike Zunino .403 19-19 67 19 27 6 0 7 25 54 .806 10

If they pass on him because he is a catcher I am going to be pissed off. He is the reigning SEC player of the year. He is good defensively. He walks, hits for power and is a team leader on the arguably the best team in the country. He would allow Wieters to dh and play first on occasion and save both their knees.

The team was considering signing V. Mart, so I don't see why they can't go with a catcher here. I'm rooting for Zunino to be the pick if he lasts that long in the draft. He could be in Baltimore quickly and actually help this team with a middle of the order bat and provide defensive flexibility.

Makes too much sense for the Orioles to take him, so we're probably looking at an all glove infielder or a high school pitcher who will probably stall before AA. I can hope though.

So, you have 5 guys going in the top 3? lol Just kidding.

Marrero is going to have to be Ozzie Smith good with the glove. The bat looks like a big question mark. Numbers aren't everything but why can't this kid put up numbers?

How do you feel about Travis Jankowski. Beautiful swing and he looks athletic. IF the power develops, he's interesting. I'm really not in love with any of the pitchers. Giolito would be interesting because he has the biggest arm, the size, and probably the most upside. Other than him, it's like there's 3 or 4 you could throw into a hat. I'm not a big Appel fan at this point. He's good but I don't get the sense that he's clear cut above some others.

Gotta hedge bets this far out ;)

He's not far off from Ozzie for me with the glove. Flat out amazing. I've seen some pop out of his bat here and there, just not consistently, he could really sure up a ML infield though for sure. I'm just higher on him than a lot of people and in the end he probably drops out of the top 5 talks as other players get better, but I really like him.

I think Jankowski is pretty good, but there are a couple things I'd want him to clean up before I started about thinking of him too high. He struggles with balls inside a bit, and in the pros it's going to get even tougher, I also don't really like that the momentum of his swing carries him towards 3B so much, he loses a step out of the box because of it and I hear he's avg/above avg speed to begin with.

I know Appel hasn't had the BEST start to the year, but I'm still a big believer in the tools and I think he's going to be pretty good.

Seems like there is a consensus on Appel, so I figure he's gone either #1 overall or most certainly before #4. A college catcher who's good defensively and possibly has the best bat as well, seems a good bet to go top 3 as well. Before the elbow strain, Giolito was probably a lock to go top 3. Maybe the highest ceiling in this draft? Agree or disagree on that point? I don't think it's going to scare off too many teams and because, IMO, there don't appear to be a lot of high ceiling guys, I think there's a good chance someone still pops him in the top 3. Right now, if Appel, Zunino, and Giolito are off the board, give me your guy. I know it's a tough question but let's have some fun with it.

Sounds pretty reasonable, Giolito is the WC, he could be perfectly healthy by the draft, or it could be something that lingers til next season. It's hard to tell right now, but he's so talented someone will take him near the top of the first.

Buxton. Legit 5-tool kid, gets compared to the Uptons but I think he's better than both of them. Kid has real game,could be a superstar.

Don't forget Kevin Gausman.

Consensus top 7 pick, and in my opinion the best college arm available. Has put up better #'s than Appel this year, and has great size and his fastball is mid 90's, topping out at 97. Also the most major league ready pitcher in the draft so if we want a July-August 2013 call-up, go Gausman. Plus curve, and developing change, so if he can develop a solid change he'd be a #2 starter in the bigs. Appel has better velocity but for some reason doesn't dominate which could means his pitches are easy to read coming of his hand or they simply don't have any movement. Gausman doesn't have those problems.

Since you mentioned Gausman, it seems as though Zimmer is the 3rd guy who has put himself into the college pitcher converstation. Personally, I don't think there's a lot that separates those three but as I said, Appel apears to be the consensus, best.

I get to see Zimmer and Appel this weekend and Gausman next weekend (along with Cecchini and Trahan). Woohoo!

Archived