ACCT thread

Sports Guy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This used to be my favorite weekend of the year.

One year in high school, our substitute teacher wheeled in a tv so we could watch Friday's games. My best friend's parents would always go to the tournament, so we'd have parties at his house and watch the games.

I just never got into the expansion. I loved the 8 team format and was cool with the one Thursday 8-9 play-in game.

This used to be my favorite weekend of the year.

One year in high school, our substitute teacher wheeled in a tv so we could watch Friday's games. My best friend's parents would always go to the tournament, so we'd have parties at his house and watch the games.

I just never got into the expansion. I loved the 8 team format and was cool with the one Thursday 8-9 play-in game.

Yeah, the expansion hurt ACC basketball in a lot of ways, with the tournament being one of the biggest of those ways.

This year's is obviously North Carolina's to lose.

Looking forward to this tournament, for obvious reasons. "The Epic" and I were talking today, and he's worried about a Virginia matchup as far as Carolina is concerned.

Of course, I'd like to see a CArolina/Duke final on Sunday. I agree with the sentiment above about the 8 or 9 team tourney in the old days.

Looking forward to this tournament, for obvious reasons. "The Epic" and I were talking today, and he's worried about a Virginia matchup as far as Carolina is concerned.

Of course, I'd like to see a CArolina/Duke final on Sunday. I agree with the sentiment above about the 8 or 9 team tourney in the old days.

LOL. You guys are worried about Virginia in the Semis? Maybe I'm jaded, but I'll be shocked if the Hoos win on Friday. They haven't played on a Saturday in the ACC Tournament since the Junior Burrough team got to the Semis in 1995. 1995! It's been 17 years since UVa PLAYED IN A SEMI-FINAL GAME! That is absurd. Let alone winning a Semi-Final game, which they haven't done since 1994.

Also going along with the history is the fact that this week UVa announced Sene and Brogdon are both done for the season, so the 7-man rotation will be all Tony Bennett has.

I'm terrified that they will lose to NC State (or even worse, BC) and somehow miss the NCAA's.

LOL. You guys are worried about Virginia in the Semis? Maybe I'm jaded, but I'll be shocked if the Hoos win on Friday. They haven't played on a Saturday in the ACC Tournament since the Junior Burrough team got to the Semis in 1995. 1995! It's been 17 years since UVa PLAYED IN A SEMI-FINAL GAME! That is absurd. Let alone winning a Semi-Final game, which they haven't done since 1994.

Also going along with the history is the fact that this week UVa announced Sene and Brogdon are both done for the season, so the 7-man rotation will be all Tony Bennett has.

I'm terrified that they will lose to NC State (or even worse, BC) and somehow miss the NCAA's.

DUDE!!! You're posting again???

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh right, come on, you guys are in the tournament, no worries. But don't lose to NC State or BC.

DUDE!!! You're posting again???

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh right, come on, you guys are in the tournament, no worries. But don't lose to NC State or BC.

I still lurk quite often, but don't post much. NCAA Hoops is about it, I can't stay away from the hoops talk, especially with my boys finally having a good season.

And I would feel much better if we had won at least ONE of the games we played against the big boys of the ACC this year (4 of 5 were one possession games, only at UNC wasn't close). Luckily the bubble is awful this year so we should be OK.

If we are EVER getting to a Saturday at the ACC Tourney, this should be the year. The lack of depth just terrifies me. I mean, if Scott gets in foul trouble, we could lose to ANYONE. But still, NC State isn't that good, and the tournament isn't in Carolina so they shouldn't have a big fan advantage.

I thought for sure we would make it as the 2-seed in '07 with Singletary and Reynolds, especially when State beat Duke in the 1st Round. We had a double digit lead at the half, but then Brandon Costner went nuts and knocked us out.

I still lurk quite often, but don't post much. NCAA Hoops is about it, I can't stay away from the hoops talk, especially with my boys finally having a good season.

And I would feel much better if we had won at least ONE of the games we played against the big boys of the ACC this year (4 of 5 were one possession games, only at UNC wasn't close). Luckily the bubble is awful this year so we should be OK.

If we are EVER getting to a Saturday at the ACC Tourney, this should be the year. The lack of depth just terrifies me. I mean, if Scott gets in foul trouble, we could lose to ANYONE. But still, NC State isn't that good, and the tournament isn't in Carolina so they shouldn't have a big fan advantage.

I thought for sure we would make it as the 2-seed in '07 with Singletary and Reynolds, especially when State beat Duke in the 1st Round. We had a double digit lead at the half, but then Brandon Costner went nuts and knocked us out.

\

Me too, I don't post anywhere except in the hoops section nowadays.

Good points on the depth, but I'll tell you what, Bennett is terrific, and I'd have voted for him for coach of the year.

I remember that game, Singeltary & Reynolds, man, that was a damn good backcourt.

Hope for the best, see you Saturday in the semis.

Ooh, that loss of Kelly probably dooms Duke this weekend.

Yep...They should win their first game but I don't know how likely it is that they beat FSU without Kelly. FSU has a lot of size and not having one of your taller players could really hurt them. Duke needs Hairston to step up and give them good minutes and the Plumlees need to stay out of foul trouble, which isn't likely.

The guy who MUST step up for them is Dawkins but he is too inconsistent and too big of a wuss to do it IMO.

You really think that Ryan Kelly could be make-or-break for a game against FSU? Like...really? Dude doesn't really -play- tall, it seems, so it's not like he'll completely devour the inside game. From a shooting standpoint, maybe, but it's been the story all season; make a lot of threes, you'll be good. If Rivers/Curry/Dawkins/Thornton aren't hot or ARE hot, it won't matter either way.

You really think that Ryan Kelly could be make-or-break for a game against FSU? Like...really? Dude doesn't really -play- tall, it seems, so it's not like he'll completely devour the inside game. From a shooting standpoint, maybe, but it's been the story all season; make a lot of threes, you'll be good. If Rivers/Curry/Dawkins/Thornton aren't hot or ARE hot, it won't matter either way.

Kelly is important to Duke. The Plumlees are both foul-prone, and can only shoot within 5-8 feet of the basket. Kelly give them a different look and forces one of the other team's big men to roam around the three point line. FSU already dominated Duke inside when they played, and if the Plumlees can't afford to give a few fouls, it's going to be worse. Not saying Duke is doomed, but the odds go from 3-2 in Duke's favor to the other way around, IMO. That's assuming they get past the opener.

The other thing is, if Duke wins against FSU they have no depth inside to face UNC. The one reason I thought Duke might be able to compete with UNC on Sunday is that they are a little deeper and might have fresher legs in a third consecutive game. That went out the window with Kelly out. By the way, Kelly had a terrible game against UNC last weekend and they would have needed a good game from him this time to have a chance to win, IMO.

1) He still gives them size and guards some of the bigs down low.

2) One of their best FT shooters.

3) He can score 20 on any given night.

4) One of the smarter players on the team.

5) Big guy who can handle the ball and help against presses.

6) 3rd big guy on a team where the first 2 are injury prone....against a team with a lot of size and length.

So yea, he is a big time loss for Duke.

Expansion really has hurt this league, and it really shows with the crowd on this first day..Granted, teams like Wake & BC are just atrocious which lead to two blowouts this afternoon, but back in the day, the ACC tourney was always packed.

Expansion really has hurt this league, and it really shows with the crowd on this first day..Granted, teams like Wake & BC are just atrocious which lead to two blowouts this afternoon, but back in the day, the ACC tourney was always packed.

I don't think it helps having it move around. I understand why they do, but I think it's best in North Carolina.

But yeah, no doubt expansion has hurt. A lot of us feared it would.

Archived