ORIOLES vs. RED SOX 3/23

OFFNY

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch. Not a good sign when you can't get past 2 innings against a lineup full of minor leaguers and backups. I assume Hammel is pretty much assured of a rotation spot, but this wasn't a good showing.

Agreed.

Just got back and watched some of the prior action. That was a very nice shot by Jones.

Geez, Tolleson....

Ouch. Not a good sign when you can't get past 2 innings against a lineup full of minor leaguers and backups. I assume Hammel is pretty much assured of a rotation spot, but this wasn't a good showing.

They fouled off 25 pitches. Welcome to the AL East Jason. His fast ball control was not good.

Yeah. Adair wanted him to get the rest of his work done back in the pen in a controlled environment. Bergesen screwed up his arm on a called time out. Shaking his hand. And then walks the guy.

They fouled off 25 pitches. Welcome to the AL East Jason. His fast ball control was not good.

I don't understand what you mean by that. He threw 60 pitches and 25 were fouled off in the second inning alone. Punto fouled off a few in the 1st inning as well. He had a booted ground ball, a bloop off the end of an infielders glove, a wild pitch on a strikeout that went between Wieters feet. He couldn't put guys away, that's true. But it was a strange inning that wasn't entirely his fault. I think the change is entirely due to the number of pitches thrown in the one inning and the fact that it's spring training. Later in the season with the arm built up, he comes back out. He wasn't the sharpest, but he wasn't helped at all.

I don't understand what you mean by that. He threw 60 pitches and 25 were fouled off in the second inning alone. Punto fouled off a few in the 1st inning as well. He had a booted ground ball, a bloop off the end of an infielders glove, a wild pitch on a strikeout that went between Wieters feet. He couldn't put guys away, that's true. But it was a strange inning that wasn't entirely his fault. I think the change is entirely due to the number of pitches thrown in the one inning and the fact that it's spring training. Later in the season with the arm built up, he comes back out. He wasn't the sharpest, but he wasn't helped at all.

Well here's what I mean. Teams in the east are excellent at fighting off pitches and elevating the starters pitch count. That's why FB control is so important in my opinion. Hammel had a lot of deep counts and he walked two in two innings. Consequently he was taken out.

Well here's what I mean. Teams in the east are excellent at fighting off pitches and elevating the starters pitch count. That's why FB control is so important in my opinion. Hammel had a lot of deep counts and he walked two in two innings. Consequently he was taken out.

Understand, just think that one of the reasons he threw so many pitches was the fact that he had to get 5 outs instead of 3.

Understand, just think that one of the reasons he threw so many pitches was the fact that he had to get 5 outs instead of 3.

You're right but the walks didn't help either. I still thinks he makes the rotation.

Archived