Big day for Wada

Frobby

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned before that I could see Wada being sent to Norfolk to get innings in and probably be the first one called up when we need a start. I'll go as far as to say I think the O's would like to do that if Wada is willing to accept the assignment. If not he pushes Eveland, Simon, or Patton out of the pen and probably out of the organization.

The really interesting thing about this is that we actually have some competition going for spots on the 25 man.

Of course I'm wary about the quality of those competing but the fact that we actually may be able to put some quasi-quality arms in Norfolk as insurance is a positive.

If it ends up close, I would not be surprised if Wada gets the nod over Matusz. Matusz is a traditional slow starter and has an option and they could just wait until he's hot to bring him up while gaining arbitration time.
I think Matusz has to go less than 5 IP for it to be close. Wada just isn't stretched out enough yet and needs to go 6 next time out. Doubt he should do that with his elbow a question. He needs to be brought along carefully. He either accepts the AAA assignment to build up his arm, goes on the DL, or goes to the pen IMO

This is off subject of course, but at the end of the day, although MacPhail made some good trades, trades that could be considered a win for what he gave up and got in return, at the end of the day non of his trades changed the fortunes of the Orioles.

You mean, he didn't turn the O's into a contender, and that's your only measuring stick? Because otherwise, even if you disregard clear wins like the Tejada trade, it's pretty obvious that the Bedard trade is a huge part of our present and future right now. Take Adam Jones off this team and you've basically cut our offensive core in half.

You mean, he didn't turn the O's into a contender, and that's your only measuring stick? Because otherwise, even if you disregard clear wins like the Tejada trade, it's pretty obvious that the Bedard trade is a huge part of our present and future right now. Take Adam Jones off this team and you've basically cut our offensive core in half.

Bedard trade wasn't good. A young number 1 starter with two years left of eligibilty and all we get is Adam Jones? Do you think we could get a similar starter today for Jones? I don't think so..

Bedard trade wasn't good. A young number 1 starter with two years left of eligibilty and all we get is Adam Jones? Do you think we could get a similar starter today for Jones? I don't think so..

The Bedard trade was a great trade at the time and a good trade in hindsight. If Baltimore had waited any longer to trade Bedard you would have never got close to sniffing a player like Adam Jones in return. No to mention Tillman still has a chance to give something to the organization.

This statement lowers your intellectual credibility to an almost insurmountable nadir. Like, James Cameron-exploring-the-Marianas-Trench level.

Tommy Hunter looked as good as Bedard last night, better IMO, Davis is having a decent ST, Jones, Tillman, Hardy, Patton, Reynolds, and Andino, all AM trades, could be very productive this season.

Yes, I'm not sure how anyone could complain about any of AM trades. Did he completely rob anyone in a trade??? NO, but that rarely happens. Well actually, he did steal Hardy. He sure didn't lose any of trades. He got Jones, Tillman, Sherill for Bedard who broke down the next year and has never been the same. He got Luke Scott and potentially a solid BP arm in Patton for Tejada who never came anywhere close to the same player he was in Baltimore. He got Hunter and Davis for a 36 yr old RP who struggled for 2 months in Texas and who the Rangers were looking to move this offseason. He got a power arm in Strop for a guy who remains a FA this offseaosn. Andino for Penn was another sneaky solid trade. I know people were upset about trading Zaun for money and I know people will point out that we didn't trade Tejada soon enough and that he moved at a snails pace but that's nitpicking. He might not get an A for his trading abililty but he get a solid B+ from me. I trusted him a heck of a lot more than I trusted the regime that was before him and I trust him more than I trust Duquette as well.

If it ends up close, I would not be surprised if Wada gets the nod over Matusz. Matusz is a traditional slow starter and has an option and they could just wait until he's hot to bring him up while gaining arbitration time.

Why do you say Matusz is a slow starter? The only year in which he broke with the team, he was pretty solid at the start of the year:

5 IP, 2 ER

7.1 IP, 4 ER

6.1 IP, 3 ER

6 IP, 3 ER

6 IP, 3 ER

6 IP, 1 ER

Not as good as he was at the end of the year, and not as bad as he was at certain points in the middle, but overall, a pretty good start.

By the way, I still remember that 7.1 IP, 4 ER game. Matusz had a shutout through 7 IP, then allowed 4 straight hits with 1 out in the 8th, and left the game leading 3-1 with the bases loaded. JJ came in and got a pop out, but then he and Ohman allowed 3 straight hits and Matusz ended up charged with 4 ER. It was actually a brilliant performance by him up until the 8th and the bullpen hurt him badly. The bullpen did him no favors early that season, allowing 6 inherited runners to score in 3 consecutive starts in April. Even so he had a 3.93 ERA through May 4, before hitting a rough patch.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/03/wada-says-he-feels-sorry-for-the-crowd-that-watched-him-pitch.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Here's what Wada had to say about the outing. That's what I want to see from a player. Take responsibility when you stink and promise to work hard and improve. Gregg should take notes.

Yes, I'm not sure how anyone could complain about any of AM trades. Did he completely rob anyone in a trade??? NO, but that rarely happens. Well actually, he did steal Hardy. He sure didn't lose any of trades. He got Jones, Tillman, Sherill for Bedard who broke down the next year and has never been the same. He got Luke Scott and potentially a solid BP arm in Patton for Tejada who never came anywhere close to the same player he was in Baltimore. He got Hunter and Davis for a 36 yr old RP who struggled for 2 months in Texas and who the Rangers were looking to move this offseason. He got a power arm in Strop for a guy who remains a FA this offseaosn. Andino for Penn was another sneaky solid trade. I know people were upset about trading Zaun for money and I know people will point out that we didn't trade Tejada soon enough and that he moved at a snails pace but that's nitpicking. He might not get an A for his trading abililty but he get a solid B+ from me. I trusted him a heck of a lot more than I trusted the regime that was before him and I trust him more than I trust Duquette as well.
We tried. We had a Tejada for Santana and Aybar trade with LAA, that PA knocked down, and another for Oswald that he also scotched. Pay plenty of attention to that man behind the curtai.

Archived