Mussina elected to Orioles Hall of Fame! (Also Dauer and Youse) w/Mussina reaction

Frobby

Are you happy that Mussina was elected to the Orioles Hall of Fame?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy that Mussina was elected to the Orioles Hall of Fame?

• Yes - he deserved it based on his pitching, so he should be in
    • No - he was disloyal and should have been kept out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But at the end, Mu$$ina was offered what he asked for and turned it down out of spite.
Mussina and Wren agreed to the numbers in the summer of 1999. Wren told Angelos to take the deal, and history tells us he didn't. It wasn't until the following April (~9 months later) that Angelos agreed to what had been that number (emphasis on the past tense). Mussina's value went up, and then saw Thrift have his fire sale in July 2000, trading away his friend B.J. Surhoff. I'll agree with you that maybe it was spite, but I personally cannot find fault, as it was after all the procrastination from Angelos. Giving Moose the deal in 1999 should have been a no-brainer. It was inexcusable for Angelos to let the situation drag out like he did. Moose wanted 5 years in his previous deal, and was told that we don't give them to pitchers. So he took a 3 year deal, and caught grief from the player's union, only to watch Scott Erickson get a 5 year deal instead.

Another thing about Mussina. COnsider that in this franchise's best chance for a World Title in the 29 years since '83(god knows how much longer it will be) the man was brillant during the '97 postseason. The following are his pitching lines

ALDS GM 1 vs Seattle: 7 IP, 5 hits, 2 er, 0 BB, 9 Ks (beats Randy Johnson)

ALDS GM 4 vs Seattle: 7 IP, 2 hits, 1 er, 3 BB, 7 Ks (beats Randy Johnson)

ALCS GM 3 vs Cleveland: 7 IP, 3 hits, 1 er, 2 BB, 15 Ks( no decision)

ALCS Gm 6 vs Cleveland: 8 IP, 1 hit, 0 er, 2 BB, 10 Ks ( no decision)

IN all thats: 2-0, 29 IP, 41 Ks 1.24 ERA, .62 WHIP

That's pure brillance.If his teammates around him do their jobs in the ALCS and they go on to win the World Series I would have to think that, even with Mussina moving on to New York 3 years later, a lot of the hate spewed towards Mike from Baltimore fans doesn't exist.

Both sides present good arguments, however, I remain undecided.

In a vacuum his numbers make him a lock. But, I agree with Tony about Mussina being a greedy mercenary and unworthy of our respect. Integrity is an valid issue when considering giving someone honor and, IMO, he doesn't make that cut.

Both sides present good arguments, however, I remain undecided.

In a vacuum his numbers make him a lock. But, I agree with Tony about Mussina being a greedy mercenary and unworthy of our respect. Integrity is an valid issue when considering giving someone honor and, IMO, he doesn't make that cut.

So, anyone who leaves via FA shouldn't be in the O's Hall?

I am amazed at fans who blame Angelos for Mussina leaving when he was clearly played by Mussina and his agent. Angelos asked for and was told he'd have a chance to beat any offers and they didn't do that. Mussina's (and his agent's) word means nothing.

Link please?

And posters were accusing the KBO of being petty and childish. Mussina was one of the top 5 pitchers through the 90s, and he did it wearing an Orioles jersey. Were I a member of the Orioles organization I would be proud to claim him as one of my organization's greats.

One thing that I've come to realize is that Baltimore sports fans appreciate loyalty like no other. Guys like Palmer, Brooks, Cal, and Ray Lewis are so loved in Baltimore because they're seen as loyal to Baltimore. They never wore another uniform. If you show loyalty to Baltimore, you'll be treated like an effing king.

You can argue that Mussina wasn't to blame and he deserves to be in the Orioles HOF I suppose, because of his excellent pitching here. But at the end of the day, he played for the freaking Yankees. You can't blame people for not liking or resenting him.

I'm curious would O's fans welcome a Yankee leaving to come here on a FA contract in his prime? If we could have Robbie Cano tomorrow and Angelos said he could afford it, would you all reject him simply for leaving his team for a good contract and good money? It seems like a pretty limited scope to say, Orioles cannot go to the Yankees or they are traitors.

I watched a PBS special on Fenway and the Fenway staff raved about how great the Yankees players were to the staff. Sometimes I wonder if the fan hatred is different from player hatred. It's really really hard to choose between two jobs when both people want you, and someone is left with a bad taste...it doesn't make the people who make hard decisions bad people.

I watched a PBS special on Fenway and the Fenway staff raved about how great the Yankees players were to the staff. Sometimes I wonder if the fan hatred is different from player hatred. It's really really hard to choose between two jobs when both people want you, and someone is left with a bad taste...it doesn't make the people who make hard decisions bad people.

This is any easy question. Fan hatred is so far out there from the feelings of the vast majority of people actually in the industry that it's almost comical.

Archived