Latest on Bedard/ESPN/ESPN Blog

Jimmy Mad

A couple O's tidbits:

11:25 a.m., from Amy Nelson

• The Orioles and Dodgers met last night and discussed Miguel Tejada, according to two baseball sources. But according to one source, the match between the two teams did not appear to be there. Tejada has let it be known that he is only willing to move to third base if he goes to a contending team.

• Teams inquiring about Erik Bedard have been told that it's going to take a superior package of prospects, and the Orioles are telling clubs they already have four teams with very promising packages.

ESPN WM blog

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Heyman (CNNSI)

The Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays were also thought to have interest, but Baltimore owner Peter Angelos had told people he has no intention of trading Bedard within the division, meaning the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays can probably forget it.

Angelos is meddling

Would the met's offer qualify as "promising" if we have already rejected it?

WEll, apparently we rejected the offer they gave us at the GM meetings.

Rumors are out that they have added pieces to their offer. I'm sure that the Mets are one of the teams AM is mentioning.

From Heyman (CNNSI)

Angelos is meddling

Yeah and while they would probably never do that it's not like you can't play them against other teams driving up the price for our players in trade. Good job PA, you probably just cost us another good player or four!!

From Heyman (CNNSI)

Angelos is meddling

Maybe a little, but honestly can you blame him? Most teams are very hesitant to trade in their division and I personally do not want to have to face Bedard 6-7 times a year. If the packages are similar then the smart thing to do is to trade him to the NL. Now if the Sox or Yankees were to offer their Santana packages than that might change my view.

Yeah and while they would probably never do that it's not like you can't play them against other teams driving up the price for our players in trade. Good job PA, you probably just cost us another good player or four!!

There is more than enough competition to drive up Bedard's value, something like 9 teams are reported as being interested. Take away 3 and you still have 6 with 4 being reported as having promising packages.

If the any of three division teams totally blow us away I am sure AM will listen, but if the offers are comperable than the wise thing to do is trade him to the NL

Maybe a little, but honestly can you blame him? Most teams are very hesitant to trade in their division and I personally do not want to have to face Bedard 6-7 times a year. If the packages are similar then the smart thing to do is to trade him to the NL. Now if the Sox or Yankees were to offer their Santana packages than that might change my view.

Yes, we should blame him. He should not be talking to other teams about trades - period. And as was said, that stupid comment could hurt the O's bargaining power. And it's really stupid to exclude the Sawx or Yankees. The reality is that we're not competing with them. Worrying about them is always going to be counterproductive and serve no positive purpose. Has the Yankees having Mussina affected the O's? No. And neither would them having Bedard. Refusing to trade with them is just biting your nose to spite your face. One of the O's best trades ever was with the Yankees - when we got McGregor, Tippy Martinez, Dempsey, and another useful player or 2 that I can't remember for basically I think Mike Torrez (sp?). It just doesn't make sense to limit your options.

Archived