IP:. 5.67

H:o 7

R:O 3

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 95 (64 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.73

BRIAN BY INNINGS

21 * Matusz got 2 outs in the 6th inning before departing.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was very, very encouraged today. After coming out of his delivery to the very first hitter three times, I only saw Matusz do it about 5 more times the rest of the game. The best news is that his fastball was very crisp and had good finish. I saw several cut really hard. Several times he got in the kitchen of hitters when they were ahead in the count. He threw more knee high fastballs tonight than I've seen in the last three starts combined. He knew where the outside corner and insider corner were and could get there fairly regularly.

His change wasn't there tonight, but I saw some excellent curveballs and sliders. His defense let him down and MLB rules about assuming a DP cost him an ER or two, but he looked like a good young pitcher out there tonight. Keep it going Brian...

Agreed, his stuff looks like it did on 2010. Now he needs to get that consistent command he showed the last two months of that season and he will be just fine. Palmer said as much tonight in his post game comments. Something like I even expect Matusz to be even better because he has that kind of talent. I am glad Buck and Duquette didn't give him his release like some wanted here after Texas hit him around. LOL

I was very, very encouraged today. After coming out of his delivery to the very first hitter three times, I only saw Matusz do it about 5 more times the rest of the game. The best news is that his fastball was very crisp and had good finish. I saw several cut really hard. Several times he got in the kitchen of hitters when they were ahead in the count. He threw more knee high fastballs tonight than I've seen in the last three starts combined. He knew where the outside corner and insider corner were and could get there fairly regularly.

His change wasn't there tonight, but I saw some excellent curveballs and sliders. His defense let him down and MLB rules about assuming a DP cost him an ER or two, but he looked like a good young pitcher out there tonight. Keep it going Brian...

I think his approach against Rodriguez was quite impressive. He worked him inside and then threw a 2 strike dart that flirted with the outside corner to ring him up. Very encouraging. I also believe that the defensive struggles behind him will ultimately make him a better pitcher as far as confidence is concerned. He can look back on his outings and see that he can get 3+ outs. He's not far from putting it all together.

Listen, I am kind of tired of looking for encouraging signs each start. It's always something with Matusz. Tonight he had NO changeup. He faced a very weak lineup tonight and couldn't finish 6 innings. Sure, Tolleson should have turned the DP there but still, I'm tired of Matusz not getting it done. He gets a win, he almost goes 6, and the fastball was probably the best he's had all year. Still, every outing it's about encouraging signs or this or that. How about just pitching some really good games? Again, very weak lineup for the Rays. A well pitched game would have been 7 innings and 1 or 2 runs. Instead, he gets staked to a 3 run lead and gets in trouble right away in the 6th. Then he can't put away Luke Scott.

Would you rather have Dana Eveland's 6 or Matusz's 5 2/3?

Would you rather have Dana Eveland's 6 or Matusz's 5 2/3?

After watching Eveland last night, I was actually thinking they were kinda similar.

Brian hit 93 on the stadium gun tonight for whatever that's worth.

All in all a decent 5th starter performance tonight and a big win against the second place team.

Archived