Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

Matusz just doesn't have the look of a good pitcher anymore, everything looks wrong. I'm gonna already chalk this up to yet again another O's failure drafting in the 1st round. It's never too early to call it like you see it.

Since he was fine in 2009-10, how does his failure after that relate to a drafting failure?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz just doesn't have the look of a good pitcher anymore, everything looks wrong. I'm gonna already chalk this up to yet again another O's failure drafting in the 1st round. It's never too early to call it like you see it.

Of course, what you see is diametrically opposed to what everyone else saw. Sometimes, perhaps, it's never too early to doubt your instincts?

As for the rest of the discussion, I appreciate it - I was traveling and unable to watch the game. I was sorely disappointed when I saw his final line, but I'm glad to see that the component parts (the stuff/pitches) were better than the results. I expected to read nail-after-nail in his coffin. I hope he gets a couple of more shots.

Just because he is "better" doesn't mean he is anywhere near being ready for MLB. Yeah, errors hurt him tonight, and the defense is hard to pitch to, but he is still pitching poorly, it has been for over a year, and the excuse list is getting comically long. I do not think that he is one of the 5 best options in this organization with regard to starting pitching at this point in time, and even if he does have a way higher upside than most of the others, he still belongs in Norfolk til he figures it out. If I was running the show, that's where he would have started the year. Everyone assumes that next start will be better. Just like last year. Meanwhile, he costs us game after game. If this was July and we were 15 back, sure, do whatever with him. But the O's are showing some signs of life -- let's not kill it with a loss every fifth day.

So who would you have had replace him on Day 1 that makes this team better both currently and long term? Eveland? Simon? Bergesen? Berken? Tillman?

BRIAN MATUSZ (vs. BLUE JAYS 4/26)

IP:. 6

H:o 5

R:O 2

ER:)2 *

BB: 2

SO: 3

Pitches: 92 (63 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2012 ERA: 6.53

* You be the judge. 2-run triple, or a 2-run error.

*2 run error in my opinion...get in front of the freakin' ball and knock it down!!!

Archived