Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty good. Still needs to keep the changeup down more but he did a nice job tonight. Should have gotten a win. Too bad but he's headed in the right direction. I hope he builds off of this one.

...and the fastball too. He got away with three or four balls fouled off down the line that were hammered because they were up, but I was happy to see the change of speeds tonight. The two out double to Arrencibia was a tough AB, but that pitch was up too. However, he kept them off balance most of the night.

Unfortunately, Nick Johnson STILL OWES HIM A WIN !!!!

Well, our defense in Matusz' last outing was far from stellar, and Nick Johnson wasn't even playing in that game. Johnson's crucial error today was only the latest in the many flubs of the team with the worst defense in baseball.

Pretty good. Still needs to keep the changeup down more but he did a nice job tonight. Should have gotten a win. Too bad but he's headed in the right direction. I hope he builds off of this one.

It looked to me like Matusz got away with some poor location because he mixed his pitches well and generally had the Jays off balance. Even when he missed up, it wasn't what the Jays' hitters were looking for.

It looked to me like Matusz got away with some poor location because he mixed his pitches well and generally had the Jays off balance. Even when he missed up, it wasn't what the Jays' hitters were looking for.

He got some balls up, but I was watching the catchers target as much as I could and he was locating to the target pretty darn well tonight imo. Mainly in/out. He was outstanding pitching inside tonight.

He looked like the old matusz. there were a number of pitches that left the hitters shaking their heads. kept them offbalance all night. hopefully he builds off this, and continues to improve. didnt throw a ton of pitches, either.

i cant even imagine how big matusz returning to form would be for this season and beyond

Matusz had a couple of long fly ball outs, but it looked like the Jays were off balance all night. Very happy to see Matusz get through 6 innings of quality pitching, and end up with the no earned runs thanks to the scorer sobering up eventually. The crowd was not happy at all to see that "H" light up on the scoreboard.

I watched the game and thought the pitch to Arencibia was down and just got too much of that plate. I could be wrong. I think he did a good job of keeping his fastball out of the middle of the plate.

I watched it, too. I'll watch it again, but you may be right about it catching a lot of the plate. Didn't seem down though. I noticed many times Wieters showing the target low. Matusz doesn't have overpowering stuff, it's essential for him to work down even when he misses.

As I said, the biggest improvement for me was his changing speeds and keeping the hitters off balance.

Archived