Duquette: Bundy will get at least 5 more starts at Delmarva

Frobby

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It almost seems like his starts in Delmarva are glorified bullpen sessions, or simulated games. Duquette's not gonna let him sniff baltimore this year, but I could see him contributing in 2013 when his innings limit increases to 160 or so

Excuse me while I go slam my head against a wall. A refusal to alter or have flexibility in plans when a prospect clearly and completely shows you that he's to good for a level isn't something to be praised.

What Bundy needs to learn in the Minor's is how to set up hitters, work through a line-up, and deal with people who can hit him. Right now he can spin his change-up up there, and it's generally not going to get punished, even if it's not good. That's fine for a few starts, but he's had 13 innings of it, he doesn't need another 23.

Excuse me while I go slam my head against a wall. A refusal to alter or have flexibility in plans when a prospect clearly and completely shows you that he's to good for a level isn't something to be praised.

What Bundy needs to learn in the Minor's is how to set up hitters, work through a line-up, and deal with people who can hit him. Right now he can spin his change-up up there, and it's generally not going to get punished, even if it's not good. That's fine for a few starts, but he's had 13 innings of it, he doesn't need another 23.

My understanding is that they want him to improve his change and they are leaving him there for now to work with those coaches. You have to remember that he's just out of High School and has an innings limit. He'll be in Frederick soon enough.

Yes, he has an innings limit, hence I would prefer he gets more of those innings at a level where he will be challenged. Let me put it another way, the more innings he throws at Delmarva, the fewer he'll throw at Bowie (and Frederick).

The reality is, according to most scouts, he's not going to face hitters who can consistently challenge him until he gets to Bowie. And since the Orioles seem hell bent on sending him to Frederick (bc clearly 3 teams in 3 cities is a great call for a kid settling into the pro game), I'd prefer he get there sooner rather than later, so that he gets to his appropriate level sooner rather than later.

Is this going to ruin him? No. Will this probably be a moot point by next year? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's a good call now.

Is this going to ruin him? No. Will this probably be a moot point by next year? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's a good call now.

It does mean, however, that slamming your head into anything other than your pillow is probably an overreaction. I say that as someone who agrees about moving him more aggressively.

That said, I have no problem w/ taking time to master the change. The fact is, if that because above-average to plus-, he'll go through the rest of the minors as quickly as any of us can imagine.

I kinda like the idea of a grand tour of the minor league clubs. No reason to speed him so fast the affiliates cant get their one and only chance to see him pitch.

But really I think Duq really slammed the Orioles for rushing their arms the last several years and it would be hypocritical for him to rush Bundy.

Still I want to see him in Baltimore by June of next year!

I am really excited about Bundy and very anxious to see what he can do against higher competition, but I feel like people are forgetting about the concerns many had about how he was overworked in high school. I seem to remember that they had him pitch both games of a double-header and really overused him.

Because of this, I am glad that they are going slow with him and letting him pitch in a low stress environment. Let him get the arm stretched out, acclimate to pro life, teach him new pitches, and keep his innings down. Hopefully this will minimize the strain on his arm and we can set him loose next year. In 2014, him and Wieters can both unleash hellfire on the AL East!

Let me put it another way, the more innings he throws at Delmarva, the fewer he'll throw at Bowie (and Frederick). Is this going to ruin him? No. Will this probably be a moot point by next year? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's a good call now.

Then you're missing the point. He's working on his changeup, which might be easier for him to develop in Delmarva - not Frederick or Bowie. And definitely not when he's knocking on the door of Baltimore. Who cares if he is dominating the hitters now - he isn't being ruined by forcing him to develop a pitch that will make a difference when he's in B'more sometime either next year or '14.

No need to curse the skies because you don't like the pace - it's not about making KLaw happy. It's about making sure he's fully cooked.

I've been in favor of moving him a bit faster, but I have to admit is's a little refreshing for the O's to have a plan with a player and not change that plan when the player dominates over a small sample.

By not promoting Bundy, DD's saying that there's something he wants Bundy to accomplish that isn't necessarily reflected in the box score. This is what we didn't do with Tillman et al.

Then you're missing the point. He's working on his changeup, which might be easier for him to develop in Delmarva - not Frederick or Bowie. And definitely not when he's knocking on the door of Baltimore. Who cares if he is dominating the hitters now - he isn't being ruined by forcing him to develop a pitch that will make a difference when he's in B'more sometime either next year or '14.

No need to curse the skies because you don't like the pace - it's not about making KLaw happy. It's about making sure he's fully cooked.

This is a fine argument. But it's patently false for Baltimore to act like Bundy needs to be in Delmarva to work on a change-up. Lincecum essentially added one between AAA and the end of his first season in the Majors.

Why are we all stressing out about this? The kid and his statistics will tell us the story. If he does his nine starts at Delmarva, which is just a little more than a third of his expected starts then moves to Frederick. If he does anything near this good in Frederick after nine starts maybe he gets to Bowie for a month at the end of the year.

This would be moving rather fast in reality. Faster than Machado or Schoop.

Archived