Duquette: Bundy will get at least 5 more starts at Delmarva

Frobby

Per Melewski:

Before today's game, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette indicated that Dylan Bundy is likely to stay with Single-A Delmarva at least through five more starts. Bundy is expected to go four innings in his next two starts and then move to five-inning outings. Duquette said Bundy is expected to remain a Shorebird at least through his first three five-inning outings.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/04/a-homestand-of-good-pitching-and-bundy-note.html

Seems like overkill to me, but whatever.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In one of the other Bundy threads, Dr. Shorebird suggested he would be in Delmarva for 9 total starts: 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5. This is how it sounds like it's playing out. Kudos to Doc for the scoop.

I'm not crazy about it, but I too am not concerned.

What would we do with Bundy on the really distant chance that in August and September we are in a pennant race?

Would we bring him up like Tampa Bay did with Price in 08?

Not unless somehow he is within his innings limit.

I wonder about this with the Nats. Here they are with a very solid chance to compete throughout the year, but he's got a limit of 160 innings. The Nats chance at making a run in October decrease dramatically without Strasburg at the top of that rotation. That said, they have to take the long view. His long term health, as well as the continued growth of their prospects will mean sustained success for them over the next several years. Still, I wonder, should they shut him down for a couple weeks here and there, or a month overall at some point, so that they can have him in October? Or would that just add to the health risks?

I wonder if they would consider sending him straight to Bowie after his nine starts in Delmarva?

I am anxious to see what Dylan can do with some higher quality competition, but I don't think it's the worst thing to keep him at Delmarva for all of his inning-restricted starts.

EDIT- If Delmarva sticks with the 6-man rotation, Dylan's ETA for a promotion would be around May 25.

Start 5- 4/30, Start 6- 5/6, Start 7- 5/12, Start 8- 5/18, Start 9- 5/24

I wonder if they would consider sending him straight to Bowie after his nine starts in Delmarva?

I am anxious to see what Dylan can do with some higher quality competition, but I don't think it's the worst thing to keep him at Delmarva for all of his inning-restricted starts.

EDIT- If Delmarva sticks with the 6-man rotation, Dylan's ETA for a promotion would be around May 25.

Start 5- 4/30, Start 6- 5/6, Start 7- 5/12, Start 8- 5/18, Start 9- 5/24

I hope he goes to Frederick for a while. There is a series in June and one in early August in Myrtle Beach so I could see him pitch. Beyond my self interest I doubt they skip a level with him. Duquette has been pretty clear about how players should progress through the system.

I hope he goes to Frederick for a while. There is a series in June and one in early August in Myrtle Beach so I could see him pitch. Beyond my self interest I doubt they skip a level with him. Duquette has been pretty clear about how players should progress through the system.

I'm 15 minutes from Harry Grove so I hope he gets some time in Frederick, and as you said, I'm sure he will.

In one of the other Bundy threads, Dr. Shorebird suggested he would be in Delmarva for 9 total starts: 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5. This is how it sounds like it's playing out. Kudos to Doc for the scoop.

Thanks for noticing. I mentioned it on WBOC-TV during a live interview with Sports anchor Scott Abraham as Dylan Bundy was pitching in the second inning on MOnday April 24, so I thought I should also mention it on the Hangout on April 25.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/120301-Dylan-Bundy-TONIGHT-4-24/page6

and again on 4/27 in a reply to Tony

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/120418-Shorebird-Transaction-4-27-Planeta?

Thanks for noticing. I mentioned it on WBOC-TV during a live interview with Sports anchor Scott Abraham as Dylan Bundy was pitching in the second inning on MOnday April 24, so I thought I should also mention it on the Hangout on April 25.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/120301-Dylan-Bundy-TONIGHT-4-24/page6

and again on 4/27 in a reply to Tony

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/120418-Shorebird-Transaction-4-27-Planeta?

I figured you were in the know. I just hoped you were wrong. Unfortunately, you weren't. :)

Archived