Taking the OH pulse on Andino

Todd-O

Bob Dino brings a lot more than his solid play to this team - gotta love the fire he brings as well. We desperately needed some guys with his attitude and swagger IMO. Unless he gets hurt, I don't wanna see Dino moved off 2B!

Sometimes I have a difficult time distinguishing between facts and emotions when it comes to my O's observations, but dammit I love the passion that Andino plays with. I love how fired up he gets when the O's score/win. It would probably rub me the wrong way if he wasn't an Oriole, but I love that there's a slight air of "eff you" aimed at his opponents. I loved that when Russell Martin called him out for tipping pitches that he jawed right back at him. He plays the game with a chip on his shoulder and his heart on his sleeve. Does that necessarily translate to wins? I don't have the faintest idea, but I know Robert Andino has a lot to do with why I'm having fun watching this team right now.

The right thing to do is to allow Andino to remain the everyday second baseman. He battled from fringe-MLB player when the O's acquired him to MLB utility guy to replacement starter to above-average MLB second baseman. He's earned the gig in Brian Roberts' absence. If Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter decide to hand the job back to Roberts just because he's deemed healthy and fit to play it would be borderline-criminal.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes I have a difficult time distinguishing between facts and emotions when it comes to my O's observations, but dammit I love the passion that Andino plays with. I love how fired up he gets when the O's score/win. It would probably rub me the wrong way if he wasn't an Oriole, but I love that there's a slight air of "eff you" aimed at his opponents. I loved that when Russell Martin called him out for tipping pitches that he jawed right back at him. He plays the game with a chip on his shoulder and his heart on his sleeve. Does that necessarily translate to wins? I don't have the faintest idea, but I know Robert Andino has a lot to do with why I'm having fun watching this team right now.

The right thing to do is to allow Andino to remain the everyday second baseman. He battled from fringe-MLB player when the O's acquired him to MLB utility guy to replacement starter to above-average MLB second baseman. He's earned the gig in Brian Roberts' absence. If Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter decide to hand the job back to Roberts just because he's deemed healthy and fit to play it would be borderline-criminal.

Andino is my fiance's favorite player right now because of this.

And she thinks Chris Davis is cute, but who doesn't?

Andino is my fiance's favorite player right now because of this.

And she thinks Chris Davis is cute, but who doesn't?

My wife loves Reynolds curly hair. Really likes him for some reason. Refuses to understand he is one of the worst fielders in baseball.

My wife loves Reynolds curly hair. Really likes him for some reason. Refuses to understand he is one of the worst fielders in baseball.

Oh, man... most of them don't care about anything like that. My fiance makes more comments about Markakis' hair and facial hair than anything else. Oh, and she can't stand how he's always wearing his long sleeves even in warm weather. Her big thing during the @TOR series was how much the pitchers were sweating. Granted, Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz look like they each lose about 15 lbs during a start, but that's what she decided to notice.

There is absolutely nothing anyone needs to add to this. The reasons stated are more than sufficient for Andino to keep his regular gig. Brian would need to earn his old job back.

If Roberts can return and give us a .750 OPS at lead off/2B and Andino can continue to hit and play 3B, isn't that a better solution for the team? No one knows what kind of shape Roberts will be in until he starts playing again in the MiL. That will be the time to assess whether he can play 2B or not. Speculation now is pointless.

I don't know why we are even talking about this now. I see no evidence that Roberts will be playing with the Orioles anytime soon. At this point I would be suprised by an August or September return.

I love Andino at the end of this. He looks like he's ready to take on the world.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=21022905&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I love Andino at the end of this. He looks like he's ready to take on the world.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=21022905&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Shock the World. Shock it.

muhammad-ali-2.jpg

I don't know why we are even talking about this now. I see no evidence that Roberts will be playing with the Orioles anytime soon. At this point I would be surprised by an August or September return.

I agree completely, but I think it is OK to "take a pulse" on any Oriole player at any given time ....... Andino, or anyone else on the roister, for that matter. However, if someone comes along and brashly and provocatively states that "Roberts is the better hitter and Roberts is the better fielder. END OF DISCUSSION," the result that follows is usually what we have seen here in this thread. I responded to it myself, so I am as guilty as anyone for taking the bait. :(

I agree completely, but I think it is OK to "take a pulse" on any Oriole player at any given time ....... Andino, or anyone else on the roister, for that matter. However, if someone comes along and brashly and provocatively states that "Roberts is the better hitter and Roberts is the better fielder. END OF DISCUSSION," the result that follows is usually what we have seen here in this thread. I responded to it myself, so I am as guilty as anyone for taking the bait. :(

Do you think he was joking or serious?

Do you think he was joking or serious?

You tell me. This was his follow-up post:

April 2011 Brian Roberts : 103 AB 12 R 27 H 6 2B 1 3B 3 HR 19 RBI .262 BA .733 OPS

April 2012 Robert Andino: 74 AB 9 R 23 H 3 2B 1 3B 1 HR 6 RBI .311 BA .757 OPS

Roberts can still hit. Andino may be statistically a better fielder percentage wise, but Roberts could make plays to his right and left that Andino sometimes has trouble with.

I am not an Andino hater. His numbers are very skewed due to a small sample size they will go down and average out and people will calm down. He is doing well at the 9 spot and being around average/slightly above average second baseman.

Archived