vs. D-RAYS 5/11

OFFNY

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Fangraphs also does farm system rankings, which are now up to date pre-draft, based on the FV grades and a dollar value assigned to the FV tiers. It’s also a handy table to compare what systems are strong in the middle of the pack vs top heavy.  https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/farm-system-rankings The Orioles are still #1, but that is carried in large part by the huge value assigned to Holliday as a 70 FV hitter. However, if they graduated Holliday, they’d still be about tied with Boston as #4.  I haven’t done the math, but just looking at that table - if you took out every team’s top 4 prospects, the Orioles would fall behind some systems but still be near the top. They don’t have a large number of 50/45+/45 FV guys, which I think prompts this sentiment that the system is weaker, but it’s still strong in 40+/40/35+. And if you look at the actual values assigned for the FV tiers, IMO the 50/45+/45 tiers (ie, back end and borderline top 100 prospects) tend to be overvalued in public perception relative to what the numbers bear out. The really elite 70/65/60/55 prospects have a ton of value, and then beyond that having a bulk of prospects matters more. It’s true that the Orioles’ best prospects are already at the MLB or AAA level, with only Basallo in AA, so they’re going to have a lot of graduations in the near future. But the best prospects tend to be those that have already dominated the low minors, so I don’t think the Orioles are super unusual this way. Basically, the farm is not as dominant as it once was, but they have a long way to go before they’re even just middle of the pack. 
    • What are your guys thoughts on what we drafted?  Apologies if I missed some of your thoughts, haven't had the time to read the whole thread.
    • I wasn’t bothered by the idea or it going over the game content, they were showing split screen. I just thought it was kind of lame. Ortiz was just freestyling and it didn’t work. “Hey what are you gonna do next? Are you enjoying this?”  Should have had a few targets and one or two interesting things to show.  Also, why do they insist on doing interviews in the field and not when guys are hanging in the dugout? Will get way better content and not impact their performance.
    • Well maybe somewhat in the 2nd round or maybe great stuff w/ good command, but not so much in the 10th round or later when Elias likes to draft pitchers.
    • Basallo is the one of the big 3 we should least likely trade. If everyone has had a big time OPS in Norfolk, then it probably means something is up. 
    • Yes, he can do all of that and possibly at an all-star level. But that does not answer my question.
    • You got to get a surplus going so you can trade two of them for one season of a pitcher.
  • Popular Contributors