vs. D-RAYS 5/11

OFFNY

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, quick resolution. Throw two seam strikes early and trust that if they swing you'll get your share of outs. Very few pitches despite 4 hitters to the plate.

Was kidding.

The walks are truly inexcusable when you have the stuff he has. He has to know he can't afford to put on extra runners.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Hyde changes his lineups all the time. I get you are disappointed that Kjerstad hasn't gotten a lot of AB's but Hyde absolutely makes regular use of his bench. In fact that the usual criticism on the lineup threads is that he is not starting the best 9, forfeiting Sundays etc. This really reads like looking for a reason to hate on Hyde.
    • He should be splitting time in RF with Santander vs RHP or as DH on Mountcastle off days.
    • was that Justice Hill in the stands?
    • I’m not sure what to do with this. I’m not sure what my ability/inability to relax has to do with your declarative statement that there is ZERO  chance that the Orioles lose tonight? And then as far as “trust” goes - uh do you make a habit out of trusting people that you don’t know and have never met? I’m more aligned with former US President Ronald Reagan when it comes to trust, when he once famously said, “Trust. But verify.”
    • Nestor Cortes kills us. Crafty lefty / junkballer. Exactly the kind of guy who can put movement on the ball and be deceptive so our mistake-hitting lineup can do nothing. I would suggest an approach of attrition. Since pitchers are on a strict pitch count these days, our guys should look to hold until 2 strikes, then defensively swing at and foul off anything close. Just wear out his pitch count as early as possible to open up their pen. Holmes pitched last night, so even if we do see him, he may be a little easier to hit if he's fatigued. Of course, if they can actually barrel up some balls and get hits off of this guy, even better - but so far that hasn't happened with the O's against Cortes. By far the worst outcome would be to go up there and roll over early in every AB, giving him quick innings. Seeing a lot of pitches, even if we don't score, is a decent compromise. The Yanks can't pitch Holmes for 4 innings.
    • I mean, in fairness, I'm not really sure who you're benching for Kjerstad here.  O'Hearn's and Cowser have both been hitting like all-stars and Santander hasn't been awful and doesn't really need to be platooned for.  And since O'Hearn and Cowser both hit left handed he can't swap in Kjerstad there for favorable platoons/occasional day off.  If Kjerstad could play anything other than DH, 1B, and corner outfield, he would have some more options for playing time.   Regarding his bullpen management, I always thought Hyde did a pretty good job never pitching guys more than 2 days in a row and giving guys 2 days off when needed.  The guys pitch a lot of innings but they're generally fairly well-spaced out, so I don't really find his usage patterns to be problematic, unless there's data out there that says that relievers need more than 1 or 2 days off on a regular cadence.  I'd doubt that one, because guys like Bautista pitched like absolute dog if they were allowed to go more than 3 or 4 days without pitching.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now