Jeffrey Maier

weams

Guest rochester
LMAO at how he tries to shrink away while the fat mama with the perm and teenagers are all up trying to get the baseball.

I dunno man - the fat mama with the perm looks like the only one not backing away or looking scared... of course, except for the %^&% with the glove.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha ha. Above you tell me, "I don't see how you can be absolutely certain about where it will end up" (which I conceded), but apparently you do know it's trajectory.

I give up.

What is it about the phrase"it looked to be" conveys certainty?

This ball was definitely worth a challenge by Buck and it

is likely to have been interfered with....

The ball was touched BEFORE Avery had a chance to catch it, AND

it was touched on the playing side of the fence.

Can you show us the freeze frames? It was probably worth a challenge and Avery should have done a better job communicating to his manager that he would have made the catch.

I am not sure it matters if someone touched the baseball before Avery had a chance to make a play on it (particularly if the ball is outside the field of play).

I guess we can all get in a pissing contest over the photos.

To me, I see Avery's left arm, back and right should ALL against the wall during his jump (and one can see the indentations/adjustments of the wall). As Avery makes his final play for the ball, his right shoulder touches the top of the wall and Avery appears to reach slightly behind himself to make the play - which to me appears that his glove is actually reaching over the fence at the time of contact.

(I imagine if Avery had actually made the play, this entire board would be going crazy about a catch that brought a home run back into the field of play.)

It's like was mentioned earlier. It's the PRINCIPAL of the matter the team needs to know that their manager is going to stand up for them even though he will probably lose. It gives moral support when you know he has your back. To me it's giving the Yankees more power when the opposing teams manager doesn't bother to argue because he will lose anyway. Bullies need challenged and the Yankees are bullies.

It's like was mentioned earlier. It's the PRINCIPAL of the matter the team needs to know that their manager is going to stand up for them even though he will probably lose. It gives moral support when you know he has your back. To me it's giving the Yankees more power when the opposing teams manager doesn't bother to argue because he will lose anyway. Bullies need challenged and the Yankees are bullies.

I understand your point, but most of baseball has probably already forgotten about the home run and if Buck would rather not call attention to a NYY fan interfering on a HR by a NYY in OPACY, I think that's a better strategy. I am pretty sure Buck's players know that he has their back.

I understand your point, but most of baseball has probably already forgotten about the home run and if Buck would rather not call attention to a NYY fan interfering on a HR by a NYY in OPACY, I think that's a better strategy. I am pretty sure Buck's players know that he has their back.

This. We've taken days of post-hoc re-analysis to come to the conclusion that it probably was interference and probably should have been challenged. Letting it go and getting on with business is a perfectly fine strategy by Buck and speaks not a whit to whether or not he has his players' back(s).

Tell Jeffrey that actions have consequences. Ask Steve Bartman.

That proves my point-people are stupid. It is a GAME people. Have some fun and relax. I feel so bad for Bill Buckner. He had a great career and then experienced death threats and had to move out to the middle of nowhere because of one play, very disturbing.

As for Bartman, sure, bonehead play but he is just a guy at a game. Sad that people actually blame him. Was he pitching the remaining innings allowing the 8 runs to lose? No.

People need to take a deep breath. Sports are supposed to be a stress relief not a reason to ruin someone's life.

That proves my point-people are stupid. It is a GAME people. Have some fun and relax. I feel so bad for Bill Buckner. He had a great career and then experienced death threats and had to move out to the middle of nowhere because of one play, very disturbing.

As for Bartman, sure, bonehead play but he is just a guy at a game. Sad that people actually blame him. Was he pitching the remaining innings allowing the 8 runs to lose? No.

People need to take a deep breath. Sports are supposed to be a stress relief not a reason to ruin someone's life.

He took something from my childhood, something that I value even if you don't. And he did so by breaking the rules (not by poor play, thus distinguishing him from Buckner) and then he was celebrated and given a reward for it (thus, distinguishing him from Bartman). Well, there are negative consequences too. Don't like it? Tough. That's life.

Maier can go straight to (heck) and his defenders can go with him.

• 1 month later...

OOOI DID NOT find this article. The credit goes to an obscure poster from Sarasota, Florida by the name of Wingman. (Just kidding, Wingman. :) This is a GREAT article, and for that, you get the official OFFNY colors.) :cool:

WINGMAN

OOOI DID NOT find this article. The credit goes to an obscure poster from Sarasota, Florida by the name of Wingman. (Just kidding, Wingman. :) This is a GREAT article, and for that, you get the official OFFNY colors.) :cool:

Must Spread Rep...

"He'd never escape being anything other than 12-year-old Jeffrey Maier."

Classic

Must Spread Rep...

"He'd never escape being anything other than 12-year-old Jeffrey Maier."

Classic

I'm not sure how I feel about the commenter posting Maier's linkedin page. On the one hand, it's public info...on the other...eh...

I'm not sure how I feel about the commenter posting Maier's linkedin page. On the one hand, it's public info...on the other...eh...

Ah. The digital age. There's a lot of public info that we put out there.

Archived