Here's why today's loss SUCKED

Pedro Cerrano

What bugs me is the automatic take on 3-0 and the automatic swing on 3-1. A lot of those 3-1 swings seem to be at borderline pitches. The kind you can't do much with. But they hack anyway. And the 3-0 pitches are almost always meatbals that they take anyway. Don't get it.

Flaherty swung at 2-0 borderline pitch in the 9th as well, if he drills it nobody would care though. Who knows if it would have been a strike with the way the ump was calling the game late.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. The only thing that happened today that I'm upset about is that once again Jake Arrieta loses his command mid-game. The rest was just baseball with the exception of the two Avery mistakes on the basepaths which I'll attribute to him being a very young player. Shoppach hit a really good pitch. What are you gonna do? Nava hit a decent pitch. Again, it happens.

The loss of perspective is in full swing now IMHO. Heck, NMS has posted like 6-8 negative things in the last three days. For God's sake, he started a thread about how disappointing it is that we are only a few games OVER 500 at home. Talk about no perspective. For years I've seen folks question whether he could even be happy if the Orioles were winning. The answer: No.

Jake frustrated the crap out of me. You could argue we got a bit unlucky with the LD double plays (though we're due for some bad luck). I'm unhappy we lost and it was frustrating, but the rest of this "you've got to do this" and "good teams do that" and blah, blah, blah is just emotional nonsense IMHO.

Well I'm glad the OH ombudsman is here to put all of us that have "lost perspective" in our place.

This was an insanely winnable game, against a division rival, with a chance to win a series and start another winning streak. These are the games that good teams win, particularly when your opponent's best players ALL have bad games. Bard was also awful and we let him off the hook a few times.

Maybe you can write off losing at the hands of Daniel Nava, Kelly Shoppach and Scott Podsednik, but I can't.

Yup. The only thing that happened today that I'm upset about is that once again, Jake Arrieta loses his command mid-game. The rest was just baseball with the exception of the two Avery mistakes on the basepaths which I'll attribute to him being a very young player. Shoppach hit a really good pitch. What are you gonna do? Nava hit a decent pitch. Again, it happens.

The loss of perspective is in full swing now IMHO. Heck, NMS has posted like 6-8 negative things in the last three days. For God's sake, he started a thread about how disappointing it is that we are only a few games OVER 500 at home. Talk about no perspective. For years I've seen folks question whether he could even be happy if the Orioles were winning. The answer: No.

Jake frustrated the crap out of me. You could argue we got a bit unlucky with the LD double plays (though we're due for some bad luck). I'm unhappy we lost and it was frustrating, but the rest of this "you've got to do this" and "good teams do that" and blah, blah, blah is just emotional nonsense IMHO.

I thought that he lost his command from the get-go, regained his command mid-game when he got 8 quick outs in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, and then faltered just shy of getting the final out of the 6th inning.

And I don't mean the "emotional nonsense" comment as negative as it sounds. I get why people want to vent. It was a frustrating loss. I just hope the venters REALIZE they're venting and understand the reality of the situation once the emotion subsides. The reality is that we just lost 2 of 3 to a talented team and the world isn't going to end. I've got no explanation for the negative stuff I'm reading before we even play.

If this loss was against the Tigers or the Rangers or any other team outside of the Yankees, I could see your point. But this is the Red Sox, a hated rival, and at home where there were many Sox fans in attendance. We want to beat these guys...we need to beat these guys...when we have the opportunities to if we are going to be for real this year. I know we're 4-2 vs Boston and that's great but we were 2 big hits away from sweeping them. Sucks that it didn't happen.

But whatever...I am over it. Time to take care of business against the Royals.

He threw some great pitches in the 1st inning. Command was outstanding. He came out in the 2nd and had nothing. BTW, he wasn't nearly as good in the 4th, 5th, and 6th as the results showed. He threw better than the 2nd/3rd, but not as good as the 1st. He was pretty bad today overall. Only great raw movement and what look like two cold sluggers (Ortiz & Gonzalez) got him through today IMHO. It was a poor outing.

I thought they were, especially after the bad innings in the second and the third.

I don't usually like what-ifs, but let's say somehow we score 3 in that bottom of the 8th. Maybe Padilla's pitch to Davis slips just the wrong way out of his hand and Davis connects for a home run to right field.

Then the O's win and the Sox go home thinking they just lost a very winnable game against an important division rival, including missing a big chance to build momentum by winning a series against a team they'll be fighting in the standings. But if this scenario happened I don't think anyone here would be saying that the Red Sox were in for a slide, or that the Sox were gonna be in trouble because good teams are supposed to win these games.

Good teams do win these sort of back-and-forth game which could have been taken by either side., But they lose these kind of games, too. They just win them more often than losing them, which is what the Orioles have been doing so far in '12.

Look man, I'm not trying to put you in your place. I telling you what I think same way you told me what you think. What I don't get is why it doesn't go both ways? Anyway, I hope you have a good night.

The tone of your post, to me, was "I'm smart enough to maintain a level head and all the neanderthals that are flipping out over one loss have no idea what they're talking about."

That's what rubbed me the wrong way. According to you we have "no perspective" and are 99% "emotional nonsense" and 1% water.

The tone of your post, to me, was "I'm smart enough to maintain a level head and all the neanderthals that are flipping out over one loss have no idea what they're talking about."

That's what rubbed me the wrong way. According to you we have "no perspective" and are 99% "emotional nonsense" and 1% water.

That is vatic1994 in most of his posts. You're just learning that?

Fan is an abbreviation of "fanatic". We're emotional. Most fans are. He is in the minority but doesn't want to admit it.

In the 4th, he faced the bottom of the order, gave up a hit, Boston gave him an out with a sacrifice, and Shoppach helped him out by popping up on the first pitch on a pitcher's pitch. He did throw really well to Aviles (who must be getting tired because bat has noticeably slowed in the last month IMHO).

Daniel Nava Ball, Strike (foul), Ball, D Nava singled to right 2 2

Scott Podsednik S Podsednik sacrificed to pitcher, D Nava to second 2 2

Kelly Shoppach K Shoppach popped out to second 2 2

Mike Aviles Strike (looking), Ball, Strike (looking), M Aviles grounded out to shortstop

He threw great to Pedroia starting the fifth. Ortiz hit a pretty good curve very hard on the ground and Betemit made a nice play. AGon grounded out weakly on a 2-0 pitch that wasn't particularly inspiring. He looked either disinterested, tired, or hurt today. I'm starting to think AGon isn't nearly the player he looked like for 100 games or so last year.

Sixth inning, he was 2-0 to two hitters, he gave up an 0-2 hit on a really bad pitch, and he struck out Middlebrooks looking on a really flat slider that he took because he thought it would break out of the zone. If he would have swung at it, he would have hit it a mile. It was basically a BP FB just below the letters.

Kevin Youkilis Ball, Ball, Strike (looking), K Youkilis flied out to center 2 2

Will Middlebrooks Ball, Strike (foul), Strike (looking), Ball, Strike (looking), W Middlebrooks struck out looking 2 2

Daniel Nava Ball, Ball, D Nava homered to right 3 2

Scott Podsednik Strike (looking), Strike (looking), S Podsednik singled to right

I expect better from him than this process even if the results were ok.

Good. I was impressed at how well he pitched in the 4th 5th and 6th and kept us in the game with quick innings after it looked like the game would get out of hand early. It's unfortunate that he didn't get the final out of the 6th after the 2 quick outs by giving up the home run and the single, but then again, it was unfortunate too that Ayala immediately came in and gave up the 2 run home run before recording an out, and that O'Day also gave one (home run) up 2 innings later, and that our offense squandered several opportunities, especiailly in the 8th inning.

/

At the end of the day, this came down to one play... the blooper in the 8th that was caught with Jones and Kakes on 2nd and 3rd. If that ball was about 2 feet to the left, the game probably would have been tied.... worst case 1st and 3rd with no out. Real bummer.

The secondary play is give Scott P his first dinger in 2 years. That HURTS.

My tone conveyed all that, did it? Wow, maybe I should write for a living. Look, I've got no beef here. You want to be mad at me, be mad at me. Whatever. I came on here to talk Arrieta after a bad start, not get into a catfight. I should have just ignored the thread. My mistake. But this was fun and I can't imagine why I don't do it more often. Again, have a nice day.

Ahh and finally the old self-important "I'm taking my ball and leaving" post.

You have a nice day as well, I'm sure the view from the Ivory Tower is stunning.

Ahh and finally the old self-important "I'm taking my ball and leaving" post.

You have a nice day as well, I'm sure the view from the Ivory Tower is stunning.

Not sure why you are lashing out so much at vatech. Obviously the phrase "emotional nonsense" rubbed you the wrong way, but thats all I see there and the personal attacks in response are unnecessary. This was the first game I've been able to attend all year, so I am as annoyed as I can be, but we shouldn't turn on each other....

Not sure why you are lashing out so much at vatech. Obviously the phrase "emotional nonsense" rubbed you the wrong way, but thats all I see there and the personal attacks in response are unnecessary. This was the first game I've been able to attend all year, so I am as annoyed as I can be, but we shouldn't turn on each other....

it's his whole demeanor in the thread but you're right, I'll cool it. My day as a whole has totally sucked so that's also to blame.

Archived