Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

I would say that the bolded words say it all to me. If we did slightly overpay for a homegrown player, its not that bad of a deal. Especially for the message it sends to the fanbase and players in the organization.

Exactly. (One of the many) knocks on Peter Angelos is that he has been cheap, and not interested in paying more money to improve the team. In 2009, he opened up his wallet to sign 2 solid players to long-term extensions. Now, we signed Adam Jones to a long-term extension. And we signed J.J. Hardy to a 3-year extension last season for a total of $22.5 Million.

If we slightly overpaid for Nick Markakis, and if we are slightly overpaying for Adam Jones, and if we choose to slightly overpay for Matt Wieters in the near-future, I don't see how that is a problem or a "cautionary tale," particularly for a team whose fan-base has been extremely disgruntled from over a decade of consecutive losing seasons.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the (so far) improved record will convince the fans to show up and Angelos to boost payroll--even $5-$10 million would buy give us some breathing room. Assuming Boras is willing, we still need to work out an extension with Wieters and patch a few holes. We still need to find a decent stopgap 3B option for 2013. I still like the Chase Headley idea, which would fill a current gaping hole and a future need.

But he's young and improving and plays in the AL East. You can't just put 100% of everything into a ranking based on stats. And I'm a stat guy. I like the stats, don't get me wrong. I'm not an old school baseball guy. I'm just saying, there's more to Adam Jones than what baseball-reference tells you, and even if he is who he is, it's a bad strategy to wait around for the Perfect Player for every single position on the team.

For example, we can live with an imperfect 3B because our SS is so good. The O's aren't going to break out a gross Carl Crawford contract for Jones. Jones is already a better player than Crawford, and he's going to make significantly less money than him.

Carl Crawford has 5 years better than any Jones has ever had. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2010.

But he's young and improving and plays in the AL East. You can't just put 100% of everything into a ranking based on stats. And I'm a stat guy. I like the stats, don't get me wrong. I'm not an old school baseball guy. I'm just saying, there's more to Adam Jones than what baseball-reference tells you, and even if he is who he is, it's a bad strategy to wait around for the Perfect Player for every single position on the team.

Well, the scout on here doesn't sound overly impressed. I'm fine with 6/85 for Jones and maybe there is a "chance" for some significant upside here (I can kinda see it), but as others have indicated, we'll likely have to spend more money and/or be much more efficient in a lot of other deals if we give contracts like this one. It's just economics.

Alright, you win. I've got better things to do than have a discussion with a brickwall.

Seriously. Babypowder, consider you point made and move along. The rest of us are trying to raise a glass.

People are getting a little homer-happy in here, but who cares? The deal is done, it's a great deal even if you don't think he's the next Ken Griffey, and Adam Jones won't be a Yankee in a year and a half. And we're having a great season. Let people be happy, even the obnoxious ones. :D

Carl Crawford has 5 years better than any Jones has ever had. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2010.

You two are arguing at cross purposes. I don't think many people are going to argue (strongly) that Jones will have a better career than Crawford. It could happen, but Crawford has already accomplished so, so much. It's just not very likely. But I think you can make a very strong case that Jones will outperform Crawford over the course of Jones' contract. Jones is almost exactly (Aug 1st. vs. 5th) four years younger than Crawford. We have him in his prime years. Crawford's still in his prime, but he's just about to enter his decline-phase. Which of the two is the overall better player is sort of irrelevant for the Orioles, all that matters is his production over the next 6.5 years.

I'm in favor of the deal because we have so many pieces in place right now--Hardy, Markakis, Hammel, Chen, Wieters, Johnson, etc.--that it's hard to justify trading away Jones. From a cold, analytical perspective, a strong argument could be made that it's not the best move for the organization. We have talent, but maybe not quite enough. Depending on the development of Wieters, Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, Machado and Bundy, we either just damned ourself to be an above-average team in a division where only great will do (aka the Jays from the past decade), or we just locked up a star player in a team that will be competitive over the next half decade, maybe more.

During the offseason I was against a Jones extension because I didn't think we had enough talent to get over the hump. That still may be the case. But with the pleasant surprises of Chen and Hammel and the colossal collective effort of the bullpen, the team doesn't look as far away from contention as I thought. I'm not entirely sure we made the right move, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Scouts also said he had a slider speed bat. That sure wasn't right. He isn't going to have a .360 OBP, folks. We know this. He's going to get a lot of hits and play a solid CF and hit a bunch of home runs. He's a really good player. You can't field a team of Pujolses. And the O's are getting Jones for a fair market value - and in this day and age, fair = a steal.

Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree. We need "steals" out of surplus value from arb/pre-arb players in addition to better extension candidates than Jones. Is the Jones contract likely better than signing a Free Agent, sure. But this day and age is going to have involve better player development, better long term contract extensions than what we are about to give Jones, and/or King Petey forking over a lot more money than he has been.

Well, I don't personally like deals that "aren't that bad". I prefer good ones.

Well as an Orioles fan you should get used to it for the next couple years because the team has very little leverage with (potential) free agents.

Once we become a powerhouse that attracts players from far and wide for the prospect of winning, we can get good deals like the one Boston signed Beltre to a couple years ago...

But as a consequence of being a black hole for the last 14 years, I'm afraid we're going to have to make some statements to our own players and to players outside of the organization that if you play here and do well you'll be rewarded for your services.

On the bright side of this deal, I'd much rather us slightly overpay our own players than pulling a Redskins-type move and overpaying free agents from other ball clubs.

May I add that if the Orioles had of locked him up before the season, they'd have gotten a better deal. But as a consequence of waiting they are doing this with his value at an all-time high... Will it go higher? possibly. Apparently the Orioles are confident that this deal will be better than if they wait until season end...

That part IS debatable in my eyes, although I think if you wait until he's closer to FA and if he continues his torrid pace, you're probably forced to pay more this coming off-season... Only the future will tell whether the timing was right...

Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree. We need "steals" out of surplus value from arb/pre-arb players in addition to better extension candidates than Jones. Is the Jones contract likely better than signing a Free Agent, sure. But this day and age is going to have involve better player development, better long term contract extensions than what we are about to give Jones, and/or King Petey forking over a lot more money than he has been.

If I could rep you, I would, but I can't.

However, I think this is a very good deal that is a good bet to provide surplus value.

Sorry, but there should be absolutely no doubt that an extension will be good for the Orioles, the fans....and naturally, Mr. Jones.

The discussion seems to be taking a "done deal" tone. Is that the case?

At any rate, Roberts' contract comes off the books soon, and 5/75 for Jones' FA years is hardly debilitating, especially given today's market.

Beyond that...I just like "Adam Jones, the Oriole." Even if he's not always the best player on the field, he plays hard. It'd be nice to have him here for a while.

Archived