Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

Wieters isn't a free agent until after the 2014 season. We have plenty of time.

That said, I'd get something done this offseason if I were the Birds!

This is the wrong way to think. Again, Baltimore needs to sign players to team friendly deals -- that's not happening when someone is 15 months from free agency.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters isn't a free agent until after the 2014 season. We have plenty of time.

That said, I'd get something done this offseason if I were the Birds!

According to Baseball-Reference.com, Wieters isn't a free agent until after the 2015 season. We have plenty of time there.

The reported Jones deal seems a tad high to me (earlier I posted I would not give him more than $80 million) but given the possibility for a huge overreaction that could have netted 7 or 8 years at $100 million per, I'm somewhat relieved if it's "just" 6/85.

This is the wrong way to think. Again, Baltimore needs to sign players to team friendly deals -- that's not happening when someone is 15 months from free agency.

Very true, but with Wieters, he is a Boras client, how much of an impact will this cause? Will he even be willing to accept an extension?

Agreed that the players are cheaper when signed earlier. It's not always team friendly. Are we seeing Wieters as a catcher 5 years down the road because a lot of his value is tied to defense at the catching position?

I think you can view him as a catcher for three years + two FA years, sure. If you are a believer in the bat, his value splitting time at dh/c/1b should more than merit the contract he's "worth" this out from FA. Now, if he's not interested in signing, or Boras is advising him not to, there's nothing Baltimore can do.

Is it not a bit different when dealing with catchers? Their primes aren't exactly uniform (as we have seen with Mauer), and we would be taking a bigger risk in giving him 6-7 years a year and a half from now, as it would extend to the 2020 season most likely, and as is the M.O. with taller catchers, he very possibly will be a much less valuable player then with his highly likely physical regression.

Instead, I think it would be a pretty good idea to work out an extension sooner, so that we are ensuring that the years we are getting from him are his most productive, and consequently avoiding having his contract hurt us later down the road.

EDIT: Seems I was beat the punch, but I still hold this position.

Archived