Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

This is the wrong way to think. Again, Baltimore needs to sign players to team friendly deals -- that's not happening when someone is 15 months from free agency.

I agree. We were pro-active with Markakis, Roberts, Hardy, and Jones, and I think that we ought to continue to do so with Wieters.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. We could have had him for much cheaper too. This is poor on several fronts. I'm a big fan, so I'll get over it, but why we would rush to get this done in the midst of the best start of his career (and an unsustainable start) is just mind boggling to me.

Because at this point, the longer we wait, we either....

(1) Risk losing the player that our manager and GM have pointed to as a foundation around which a club should be built.

(2) The price goes up more because AJ gets closer to free agency.

(3) You have diminished trade value because of little remaining service time.

IMO, you're never going to have the perfect player, sign the perfect deal. Ball players are going to have holes or weaknesses in their game and teams are going to "overpay". I put overpay in quotes because teams don't have the benefit of actually paying a guy based on his WAR, they have to pay market value, +/- whatever the state of their franchise is. So would it be nice to pay AJ $8 mill per year for the next 6 years or so? Sure.....realistic, unfortunately no.

Also, the fan in me loves this. AJ has really embraced the community, he's growing as a player and a leader and it's a nice signal to send to the players, the fans and the rest of baseball that the O's are trying to turn the corner. There's a ton of value in this potential deal, outside of what we're paying for the player himself.

Before this year began, I envisioned the possibility of a lot of early season losses leaving Duquette in a position where he believed he had to begin to gut the current young core (players like Jones) for a new start - another rebuild attempt. I am happy to see that, in fact, the team - through its performance - has apparently given the organization reason to believe that there is something to build on already here - now. Good day. Much better than where I thought we might be.

Before this year began, I envisioned the possibility of a lot of early season losses leaving Duquette in a position where he believed he had to begin to gut the current young core (players like Jones) for a new start - another rebuild attempt. I am happy to see that, in fact, the team - through its performance - has apparently given the organization reason to believe that there is something to build on already here - now. Good day. Much better than where I thought we might be.

Some of the FO's moves made this year possible.

This is the part where I'd typically look for SG's posts as to why this deal blows, is stupid, moronic, idiotic, etc.

:D:D:D:D

Happy for Jones, happy for the Birds, happy for us. Jones has won me over, I think he works hard at his craft and it's beginning to show.

You're a bad man you. Very very bad man.

Well done.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Archived