Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones is entering his prime. I think he's a very good bet to be worth this deal, unlikely to drastically fall short in value, and there's a real chance he breaks out and makes it a huge steal.

I'd say this is right. A bit hard to quantify "real chance", but I believe the possibility is there is as well. I think AJ could be a prolific HR hitter and improve his walk rate enough over the next few years. Also impressed with his improved postioning, though I still see him as probably being average in CF (and that's ok, especially if he also develops as a hitter).

I'd say this is right. A bit hard to quantify "real chance", but I believe the possibility is there is as well. I think AJ could be a prolific HR hitter and improve his walk rate enough over the next few years. Also impressed with his improved postioning, though I still see him as probably being average in CF (and that's ok, especially if he also develops as a hitter).

He might be average in his range, but I think he has one of the best CF arm's in the game. That puts him above average fielding to me.

The best news is that you can't extend Jones like this without expecting to commit to winning. I would not be surprised at all to see a real free agent push this offseason.

And the extra playoff revenues from this year will help defray any new expenses, of course. :D

He might be average in his range, but I think he has one of the best CF arm's in the game. That puts him above average fielding to me.

If he can improve his range by being smarter and with postioning himself, then yes. I'm guessing much of this is a system approach that AJ has bought into. Does he have average range as compared to speed/jumps/reads of all other CF's ........ I'd say no imo.

The best news is that you can't extend Jones like this without expecting to commit to winning. I would not be surprised at all to see a real free agent push this offseason.

And the extra playoff revenues from this year will help defray any new expenses, of course. :D

By my quick math, they will be around $60-65 MM committed to next year, not including whatever arbitration comes to for Matusz, O'Day, Andino, Wieters, Davis, Hunter, Reimold, and Strop. They should have a little bit of money, but we aren't really talking about more than maybe one "big" free agent signing unless they are upping payroll. Here's hoping Bundy and Machado step in and are big producers right away -- the org will definitely need it if they aren't bumping payroll.

How'd that work out with Roberts and Markakis?
The Markakis extension is a cautionary tale to me.

You seem to be hung up on this. Why, I don't know, because I don't think that very many other Oriole fans, or even Oriole management itself for that matter that are/is this upset over it.

Ok. He's still a great player and wants to be here. But if you want to wait around for the next All Star CFer to see if he's a touch better, that's cool.

It's a discussion. He's a "great player" now for 2 months. No reason to whine.

If he can improve his range by being smarter and with postioning himself, then yes. I'm guessing much of this is a system approach that AJ has bought into. Does he have average range as compared to speed/jumps/reads of all other CF's ........ I'd say no imo.

I would say that neither of us have that type of information to make that assumption.

How? He will be worth his contract by the time its over.

We signed him early to what we believed was a team friendly contract. Now, it looks as if we slightly overpaid. He will be worth a bit less than he was paid if he keeps his recent paces.

Adam Jones has a wRC+ of 103 prior to his year in addition to subpar defense. There were a lot of CF's better than him prior to this year.

This, there is plenty of reason for concern. Adam Jones was the 13th best CFer in baseball just last year.

We signed him early to what we believed was a team friendly contract. Now, it looks as if we slightly overpaid. He will be worth a bit less than he was paid if he keeps his recent paces.

I would say that the bolded words say it all to me. If we did slightly overpay for a homegrown player, its not that bad of a deal. Especially for the message it sends to the fanbase and players in the organization.

I would say that neither of us have that type of information to make that assumption.

Objective data on range is readily availabe by UZR and DRS (in addition to other metrics). The only real argument is how much positioning factors into this. Anecdotally, its' my opinion that Jones is as not as good as many other CF's around the league in these areas. I don't think he's horrible by any means, just below average. But yes, we can disagree.

Archived