Bedard and the Reds(again)

weemnj

Interesting how the small-market Reds keep popping up with interest in Bedard.

One of my family members lives with one of the Reds stars as their personal assistant/estate manager (easy to figure out, I just want to keep this as vanilla as possible) in Florida, and he said this is the first he's heard anything. Reds are already over budget and are actively shopping Dunn to clear way for their younger prospects. Didn't say much else about Bedard, but he indicated the Reds are very high on Votto and Bruce contributing significantly next year, and they're eager to see what Josh Hamilton can do if he stays healthy.

P.S. he played with Griffey and Ryan Zimmerman (Nat's) last week at a charity golf event and Zimmerman hit 300+ drives straight as an arrow...with one arm. He had a cast on his other arm apparently.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
year-to-year ballpark stats aren't a great indication. Look at 2006 if you feel inclined.

I did. And all the other years of existence. I guess they must move the fences a lot. (ranked in HRS)

2002 - 7th (6th)

2003 - 13th (6th)

2004 - 28th (13th)

2005 - 3rd (3rd)

2006 - 1st (3rd)

2007 - 7th (2nd)

I just wanted to make one comment about pitchers in general at GABP. Most of the big names in the NL have actually had success pitching here. It's the fly ball pitchers who have the most problems because those fly balls usually turn into HRs. Aaron Harang was actually fourth overall in the NL Cy Young voting this year (and should have had some votes last year too) so it is possible to succeed as a pitcher at GABP. It's not easy at all, but it is possible.

I'll take Hamilton, Votto, and Cueto/Bailey please.:D

I would be tickled with Hamilton, Votto and Bailey for Bedard. And I would be willing to expand the deal, if they wanted Tejada as well. I get the feeling that the Orioles would like to package Tejada with Bedard. I think the Reds, Dodgers, Angels and the Mariners have enough to get it done. The Reds deal would be Hamilton, Votto, Bailey, Keppinger and Encarnacion. The Dodgers would be LaRoche, Hu, Ethier, Meloan and McDonald. The Angels would be Wood, McPherson, Mathis, Santana/Saunders and Adenhart. The Mariners would be Jones, Balentein, Triunfel, Clement and Sherrill.

I kind of like what the Mariners have to offer. If they put Morrow in for Sherrill it would be hard to beat. The Reds have some nice pieces too. I really like Joey Votto. Hamilton is a stud athlete, but you always have to wonder about the risks with him. If the reds exchange Bruce for Hamilton, then you gotta love that deal. The Angels deal is intriguing. McPherson was once a "can't miss" power hitter deluxe. He missed. Injuries first, then a fairly long illness. I still think he'd make a heck of a first baseman, but he has to be a 4th or 5th piece. He would be a great buy low guy for me. In fact if I trade with the Angels I'd insist on him as a part of it. Same thing goes for Ervin Santana. The Dodgers? Well, I still think they could trump all bidders. They just have the most pieces. But so far the indications are that they will not trade Kershaw, Broxton and probably not Kemp. If they ended up offering 2 of those 3 in the deal, they would almost surely get it done.

Its gonna be an interesting week, because I feel fairly certain that the Bedard trade will take place before the end of this week. The likely partners have been defined, and I suspect things will start to roll and then happen very quickly as the pieces line up. We'll see.

I would be tickled with Hamilton, Votto and Bailey for Bedard. And I would be willing to expand the deal, if they wanted Tejada as well. I get the feeling that the Orioles would like to package Tejada with Bedard. I think the Reds, Dodgers, Angels and the Mariners have enough to get it done. The Reds deal would be Hamilton, Votto, Bailey, Keppinger and Encarnacion. The Dodgers would be LaRoche, Hu, Ethier, Meloan and McDonald. The Angels would be Wood, McPherson, Mathis, Santana/Saunders and Adenhart. The Mariners would be Jones, Balentein, Triunfel, Clement and Sherrill.

I kind of like what the Mariners have to offer. If they put Morrow in for Sherrill it would be hard to beat. The Reds have some nice pieces too. I really like Joey Votto. Hamilton is a stud athlete, but you always have to wonder about the risks with him. If the reds exchange Bruce for Hamilton, then you gotta love that deal. The Angels deal is intriguing. McPherson was once a "can't miss" power hitter deluxe. He missed. Injuries first, then a fairly long illness. I still think he'd make a heck of a first baseman, but he has to be a 4th or 5th piece. He would be a great buy low guy for me. In fact if I trade with the Angels I'd insist on him as a part of it. Same thing goes for Ervin Santana. The Dodgers? Well, I still think they could trump all bidders. They just have the most pieces. But so far the indications are that they will not trade Kershaw, Broxton and probably not Kemp. If they ended up offering 2 of those 3 in the deal, they would almost surely get it done.

Its gonna be an interesting week, because I feel fairly certain that the Bedard trade will take place before the end of this week. The likely partners have been defined, and I suspect things will start to roll and then happen very quickly as the pieces line up. We'll see.

Agree with almost all of this--Mcpherson is a great idea. If the Reds swap Cueto for Bailey it would make it more palatable for them and I think a better deal for us----he looks like the real deal.

Keep this in mind: Any team wanting to make a deal for Bedard is almost going to require he signs an extension. Hasn't it been stated before he'd walk to Toronto for a $1 once his contract expires?

With two arbitration years there should be no extension window. Even if he doesn't negotiate during the season, teams would have all winter to work out an extension.

I have heard speculation about his preference for Toronto, but nothing that explicit.

Archived