OFFNY's Original Big Ten from 2009

OFFNY

Indeed.

Zachary Grant Britton appears to have a new lease on life in the Orioles' bullpen.

He got the first save of his major league career tonight, and he seems to be capable of ANY bullpen role (long relief, middle relief, closer, etc.)

He had a nice year.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OFFNY said:

o

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and live up to those expectations, because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospects. And of course, sometimes they bomb out.  :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion.  :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

11) ) Brad Bergesen

12) Jason Berken

13) Chris Tillman

14) David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008.) Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

15) Brandon Erbe

16) Chorye Spoone

17) Brian Matusz

18] Jake Arrieta

19) Zach Britton

10) Troy Patton

o

o

5 years after my original thesis ........

3 years after this thread was started ........

Chris Tillman is an excellent starting pitcher for the Orioles.

Zach Britton is an excellent closer for the Orioles.

Brian Matusz is in the Orioles' bullpen, but is not as highly regarded as the big guns in said bullpen, such as Zach Britton, Tommy Hunter, Darren O'Day, Andrew Miller, etc.

Jake Arrieta has gotten a new lease on life with the Chicago Cubs.

Troy Patton was traded for Nick Hundley, and was DFA'd by the Padres on September 2nd.

Any other additions/analysis would be greatly appreciated. ) :)

o

OFFNY said:

o

5 years after my original thesis ........

3 years after this thread was started ........

Brian Matusz is in the Orioles' bullpen, but is not as highly regarded as the big guns in said bullpen, such as Zach Britton, Tommy Hunter, Darren O'Day, Andrew Miller, etc.

Troy Patton was traded for Nick Hundley, and was DFA'd by the Padres on September 2nd.

Any other additions/analysis would be greatly appreciated. ) :)

o

o

The very next day, Jake Arrieta threw a complete-game, 1-hit shutout.

In fact, he had a no-hitter going until he gave up a double with one out in the 8th inning:

Jake Arrieta Loses No-Hitter with One Out in 8th Inning

(By Matt Snyder)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24712364/no-hitter-watch-jake-arrieta-through-seven

I'm happy for him, even though he's no longer an Oriole.

o

5 years after my original thesis ......

3 years after this thread was started ......

Any other additions/analysis would be greatly appreciated. :)

1. Brad Bergesen

2. Jason Berken

Looks like Bergesen is out of baseball after pitching in Japan last year. Berken is pitch for the Giants Triple A team with not the best of results.

Jake seems to throw six or seven no-hit innings every other time he starts these days, and you know what? I'm happy for him. We didn't need him to do what we've done this season. All is well.

The guy plays for the Cubs, for crissakes. Might as well have some form of enjoyment in his career, even if it's only personal.

Although I do hear they'll be in the World Series next year. Against Miami.

• 8 months later...

o

Brad Bergesen was once a former Rookie of the Year award contender for the Orioles in 2009 before he had his leg broken on a line drive back to the mound on July 30th of that season.

I actually met Bergesen and Jason Bergen when I was allowed to go onto the field for batting practice before a game against the Indians in 2011 ........ and I reminded him that he was the only Oriole that season (2011) to have thrown a complete-game shutout.

York Revolution Sign Former Oriole Brad Bergesen

(Paul Braverman)

https://blogtoblogchamps.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/depaula-to-mexican-league-revolution-sign-former-oriole-brad-bergesen/

o

• 3 weeks later...

o

(June 7th, 2015)

David Hernandez made his first appearance in a major league game since September 29, 2013.

Hernandez pitched 1 shutout inning, striking out 1 and walking 1.

He had undergone Tommy John surgery in March of 2014.

o

• 6 months later...
I don't think it has to do with development, I think it has more to do with selection. Our selection of young pitchers was flawed, and they were overhyped. Hopefully we've been doing a better job recently.

Because Andy couldn't draft and develop a rotation even if you gift wrapped them and mailed them to his doorstep in a nice box.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
OFFNY said:

o

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and live up to those expectations, because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss"prospects. And of course, sometimes they bomb out.  :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion.  :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

11) ) Brad Bergesen

12) Jason Berken

13) Chris Tillman

14) David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008.) Between the 4 of them,they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

15) Brandon Erbe

16) Chorye Spoone

17) Brian Matusz

18]  Jake Arrieta

19) Zach Britton

10) Troy Patton

o

o

(MAY 23rd, 2016)

Brian Matusz was traded to the Braves.

o

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2012 at 4:25 PM, OFFNY said:

o

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and live up to those expectations, because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospects. And of course, sometimes they bomb out.  :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion.  :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

11) ) Brad Bergesen

12) Jason Berken

13) Chris Tillman

14) David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008.) Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

15) Brandon Erbe

16) Chorye Spoone

17) Brian Matusz

18]  Jake Arrieta

19) Zach Britton

10) Troy Patton

o

o

(JULY 24th, 2018)

Zach Britton, traded to the Yankees.

o

• 4 weeks later...