Heels Thread

O'sHeelsFan

To be fair, Roy Williams can also be rather brusque with the media (apparently he has a bit of a reputation for that among the DP reporters). Apparently, he called out one of our reporters for pronouncing Tyler's last name "Hansb-o-rough" instead of "Hans-brough."

I believe that. He's a pretty intense guy. Everyone says Hansb-o-rough, that drives me nuts too, but it's a petty thing of course.

I am just so impressed that UNC went into the hot bed that is Rutger's arena to win a game.

I really think we need to pat them on the back for that "impressive" win.

Ha! That's not the point Mr. Shields sir. Granted, Kentucky and Ohio State were better, but still a road win is a road win is a road win is a road win.

yes, I said that 4 times to emphasize the 4 road wins in a row;)

Well, last night's game (though I didn't see it - going by the write up on Tarheelblue.com) proves what a great equalizer the 3-pt shot can be. 14-28 from three point range for Nicholls State, and they only lose by 10. Although the lead was around 20 a good portion of the 2nd half. Still, nice job by Nicholls just to hang around in the Heels first home game in forever.

And Hansborough, apparently, is growing more beastly than ever. An elbow to the face? Recovering from a mild concussion? No problem, I'll just drop 27and 11 on you anyway. Can you say Naismith Award?

Well' date=' last night's game (though I didn't see it - going by the write up on Tarheelblue.com) proves what a great equalizer the 3-pt shot can be. 14-28 from three point range for Nicholls State, and they only lose by 10. Although the lead was around 20 a good portion of the 2nd half. Still, nice job by Nicholls just to hang around in the Heels first home game in forever.

And Hansborough, apparently, is growing more beastly than ever. An elbow to the face? Recovering from a mild concussion? No problem, I'll just drop 27and 11 on you anyway. Can you say Naismith Award?[/quote']

Weird game, those guys shot the lights out, yet I never feared that it would be the upset of the year or anything.

The Heels played pretty well really, Tyler was his usual self.

Well, great game last night b/w Duke and Pitt. Curious to get SG's thoughts. Actually not a great game - the first half was horrible w/ Pitt so sloppy - but a great last 10 minutes and OT, when both teams were playing well. And certainly a scintillating finish. Impressed by that Blair kid from Pitt -20 boards, are you serious?? - Definitely and Elite 8 worthy game, a rarity this early in the season.

This loss probably eliminates Duke getting to No. 2 in the rankings before they play Carolina - I think there will be a couple of undefeated teams still then (maybe the winner of G'Town and Memphis being one, Carolina a good chance of being another). But I still think these could be some of the more exciting Duke/NC matchups in recent years.

Also, I saw '@ Temple' on Duke's upcoming schedule when they put it up during the game. Is that really at Temple, or is in the Sixers arena or somewhere? IF it's at Temple for real, then Beaner and I may have to back off a little - that Temple gym is a tough place to play! The game is probably not there though, is it?

BTW do NOT miss that G'Town - Memphis game Saturday at Noon. That's gonna be a good one, two very athletic teams, and how often do you see No 2 v. No 4 in December? Should be a great game.

I say we keep this thread going Duke/Carolina related until their first matchup, w/ random thoughts about each team and their recent games.

Geesh, I love College Basketball! I could go on ten tangents all morning long, but I gotta get some work done!

Well' date=' great game last night b/w Duke and Pitt. [b']Curious to get SG's thought[/b]s. Actually not a great game - the first half was horrible w/ Pitt so sloppy - but a great last 10 minutes and OT, when both teams were playing well. And certainly a scintillating finish. Impressed by that Blair kid from Pitt -20 boards, are you serious?? - Definitely and Elite 8 worthy game, a rarity this early in the season.

This loss probably eliminates Duke getting to No. 2 in the rankings before they play Carolina - I think there will be a couple of undefeated teams still then (maybe the winner of G'Town and Memphis being one, Carolina a good chance of being another). But I still think these could be some of the more exciting Duke/NC matchups in recent years.

Also, I saw '@ Temple' on Duke's upcoming schedule when they put it up during the game. Is that really at Temple, or is in the Sixers arena or somewhere? IF it's at Temple for real, then Beaner and I may have to back off a little - that Temple gym is a tough place to play! The game is probably not there though, is it?

BTW do NOT miss that G'Town - Memphis game Saturday at Noon. That's gonna be a good one, two very athletic teams, and how often do you see No 2 v. No 4 in December? Should be a great game.

I say we keep this thread going Duke/Carolina related until their first matchup, w/ random thoughts about each team and their recent games.

Geesh, I love College Basketball! I could go on ten tangents all morning long, but I gotta get some work done!

Duke's weaknesses were exposed last night....Rebounding will hurt them although they have outrebounded the opposition this year, other than last night.

If they aren't generating a lot of points from the perimeter and/or from the fast break, they will struggle to score.

Those are their biggest issues.

However, that being said, they still should have won last night and lost because they shot FTs terribly.

The positive from last night is that they played a bad game in the second half and OT and still should have won and Gerald Henderson is the guy they missed last year...The one you put the ball in his hands at the end and let him create.

I called for him to do that last year but he didn't get the chance...The game went into OT because of his play at the end of the second half.

I agree with SG on this one. Duke's lack of an inside game really hurt them in the second half last night. It's going to be a problem for them all year, especially against some of the bigs in the ACC. Henderson is really good, and Singler is ok, and will certainly improve. SG's son Zoubek is just terrible though, they need to find someone who can bang inside.

I agree with SG on this one. Duke's lack of an inside game really hurt them in the second half last night. It's going to be a problem for them all year, especially against some of the bigs in the ACC. Henderson is really good, and Singler is ok, and will certainly improve. SG's son Zoubek is just terrible though, they need to find someone who can bang inside.

No its not...Most teams can't take advantage of it...Not only do you have to have size but you have to have strength and athleticism.

Only a handful of teams in the country have this.

No its not...Most teams can't take advantage of it...Not only do you have to have size but you have to have strength and athleticism.

Only a handful of teams in the country have this.

Like all of the teams Duke will have to play in March. IMO, Duke has a roster that makes it easy to blow out mediocre teams, and it's really impressive to watch. But I don't think it will work against the big boys.

Like all of the teams Duke will have to play in March. IMO, Duke has a roster that makes it easy to blow out mediocre teams, and it's really impressive to watch. But I don't think it will work against the big boys.

Yea, in the sweet 16 or later in the tourney.

They may not win the NC because of it but they are clearly a top 5-10 team in the country, will get better as the season goes along and can get very deep in the NCAA's.

Yea, in the sweet 16 or later in the tourney.

They may not win the NC because of it but they are clearly a top 5-10 team in the country, will get better as the season goes along and can get very deep in the NCAA's.

I agree. I wasn't saying they aren't a top 10 team. I don't seem them as one of the "elite", but it's too early to say any of this definitely.

I think it's funny in a thread dedicated to the baby blues there is a lot of Duke envy, but that is to be expected.

Envy? Not so much? We're discussing the elite programs in College hoops. Even as a Carolina guy, I can't deny that Duke usually belongs in the discussion. There's no envy, believe me. We've still won far more games in our history than Duke has.

I agree. I wasn't saying they aren't a top 10 team. I don't seem them as one of the "elite", but it's too early to say any of this definitely.

There is no such thing as an elite team in college bball anymore...I guess it is relative if you are comparing to other teams but as far as truly elite teams?...They don't exist(at least, not on any kind of consistent basis..you could argue Florida was for the last 2 years).

There is no such thing as an elite team in college bball anymore...I guess it is relative if you are comparing to other teams but as far as truly elite teams?...They don't exist(at least, not on any kind of consistent basis..you could argue Florida was for the last 2 years).

There are elite programs though. If teams stayed together like the Laettner/Hurley/Hill Duke teams, there would be more. See, I can give Duke a compliment once in a while.