Matt Garza, Savior?

brianod

Schoop, Avery, and Tillman is about what I think it would cost to land Garza IMO and Schoop is the only one of those three that I would be upset to lose. I think Garza provides us with a decent #2 and pushes Chen to a #3. The O's still need two guys to solidify the #4 and #5 spots and if they really want to compete, they may need to deal for two arms. If the Orioles could get Dempster and Garza it could really give us a bump, but I do feel that the Cubs could get more for Garza elsewhere. If the O's are going to get Garza I really do feel that Soriano would be in the deal with Dempster and Garza. The Cubs can say what they want, but lowering the teams overhead budget is going to be vital in them using that money to rebuild and the Cubs need to rebuild IMO. If the O's get fleeced by the Cubs I feel that it will be via the money aspect and not the prospects themselves.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why anyone would be worried. DD has said repeatedly he is not giving up his top prospects.

Does he consider Schoop a top prospect? I would imagine that the Cubs would be greatly interested in him along with guys like Avery, Hoes and possibly Chris Davis. I am not worried about Bundy or Machado being moved, but I am worried about the Orioles increasing payroll through the additions of Garza/Dempster and Soriano while limiting our ability to add premium/very good players via free agency.

Schoop, Avery, and Tillman is about what I think it would cost to land Garza IMO and Schoop is the only one of those three that I would be upset to lose.

Me too. I know our need for pitching seems dire right now, but I'd rather save a package like that for Headley. Garza just isn't worth that.

Don't see a palatable trade for us here, Cubs have Garza for another season and can wait and see how desperate the Yankees get.
This is true. Garza will go to the highest bidder at the deadline. I doubt that is us, but you never know. If getting rid of Soriano is part of it, a lot of teams will be eliminated. Also what do the MFY's have to offer in prospects? Betances and Banuelos havent been doing so well lately. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1196969-new-york-yankees-what-if-betances-and-banuelos-never-live-up-to-expectations

Wow...Jeremy Guthrie? Really??? I understand you think people overestimate Garza's worth, but I think you underestimate his value even more.
As I've said, and provided the numbers, yes. Look at it. The numbers don't lie.

You have provided the numbers but they don't necessarily assert your claim. Garza has superior SO to BB numbers and gives up far less home runs than Guthrie. Admittedly Garza has been helped there in years past with a pitching friendly environment like Tropicana. Garza's ERA for his career in 3.85, while Guthrie's is 4.34. Garza has compiled better WAR stats. He's just a better overall pitcher than Guthrie. I just don't see Guthrie as a good comp.

I liked Guthrie and I thought he did well with the Orioles during his time here. But Garza is better. He's certainly not a top of the rotation guy, but could he fit in well as a 2 or 3...yes!

The Cubs want pitching. Their top 10+ prospects are position players. Outside of the Yankees, the O's are probably the interested team that matches up the worst for what the Cubs want. Tillman and Matusz are certainly not headlining any package for a guy under contract through 2014 who also nets his new team 2 draft picks if he doesn't stay with them. Bundy certainly isn't realistic for Garza and that leaves us one realistic headliner for a Garza deal and that is Britton, pending his arm being fine.

I would hope that any trade with the Cubs would include the rights to Flaherty to give the Orioles the flexibility to send him down. At this point, for as long as he has been on the roster, the Cubs aren't getting him back, so the O's may as well negotiate the right to send him down.

Archived