Tillman

whynot38

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty disappointed that he couldn't stop the Mariners from hitting the ball to Betimit. Going forward he needs to realize that is one of the keys to getting ML hitters out.

We need to somehow find a gold glove third baseman to complete this team. His bat isn't critical (though would be nice) but I want someone who can catch and throw. Gah.

Does his 7 days between starts effect his velo? It was pretty crazy high today, sitting at 95 and touching 97 in the ninth.. Any reason to think he will be less sharp on the usual 5 days?

I think that gun was hot for both teams all series. It probably effects a little bit, but I don't think he was much over the 92-94/touch 95 that he normally sits.

I think that gun was hot for both teams all series. It probably effects a little bit, but I don't think he was much over the 92-94/touch 95 that he normally sits.

I don't remember that being "normal" for him. At least not last year.

Ahem.

Haha, props to you Lucky Jim. I've been high on Tillman as well but mainly because of second-hand reports from you and others. I don't care what the numbers say, that was the best pitching performance I've seen by an Orioles pitcher this year. The most surprising thing for me was his changeup, which he threw without a hint of reluctance, threw for strikes, and no surprise it was as effective as it was with the huge differential (83-95) between his changeup and his FB. The fastball, of course, well, I imagine even you, Lucky Jim, are surprised by the velocity he showed today: I'm guessing fangraphs will have him at about a 94.5-95.0 average. He threw more than a few 97 MPH heaters, without, from what I could tell, sacrificing much control, and he hit 97 and 96 even in the 9th. His command was pretty stellar throughout; he lost his command very briefly a few times, but never seemed to get out of his wind-up as we've seen so often with Arrieta and Matusz this year.

Just phenomenal. I don't like to be so effusive in my praise for a guy after one start because it's a recipe for making yourself look bad, but I have a very hard time not seeing him succeed. I expect there will be some drop-off in his FB velocity--it was probably boosted by the favorable conditions in Seattle and 2 extra days of rest, but the way he was throwing today he could lose 2 MPH off of that FB and still have top-drawer stuff. The guy we saw today was a TOR starter. Tillman probably won't be that guy consistently, but I can certainly see him being a #3 this year.

I just have one question for you Lucky Jim: how did anyone hit Tillman at AAA?

Haha, props to you Lucky Jim. I've been high on Tillman as well but mainly because of second-hand reports from you and others. I don't care what the numbers say, that was the best pitching performance I've seen by an Orioles pitcher this year. The most surprising thing for me was his changeup, which he threw without a hint of reluctance, threw for strikes, and no surprise it was as effective as it was with the huge differential (83-95) between his changeup and his FB. The fastball, of course, well, I imagine even you, Lucky Jim, are surprised by the velocity he showed today: I'm guessing fangraphs will have him at about a 94.5-95.0 average. He threw more than a few 97 MPH heaters, without, from what I could tell, sacrificing much control, and he hit 97 and 96 even in the 9th. His command was pretty stellar throughout; he lost his command very briefly a few times, but never seemed to get out of his wind-up as we've seen so often with Arrieta and Matusz this year.

Just phenomenal. I don't like to be so effusive in my praise for a guy after one start because it's a recipe for making yourself look bad, but I have a very hard time not seeing him succeed. I expect there will be some drop-off in his FB velocity--it was probably boosted by the favorable conditions in Seattle and 2 extra days of rest, but the way he was throwing today he could lose 2 MPH off of that FB and still have top-drawer stuff. The guy we saw today was a TOR starter. Tillman probably won't be that guy consistently, but I can certainly see him being a #3 this year.

I just have one question for you Lucky Jim: how did anyone hit Tillman at AAA?

The new Chris has only revealed itself recently. To start in AAA he wasn't any good. Then something clicked and he tore it up. In his torrid stretch AAA guys did not him well at all.

The fastball, of course, well, I imagine even you, Lucky Jim, are surprised by the velocity he showed today: I'm guessing fangraphs will have him at about a 94.5-95.0 average. He threw more than a few 97 MPH heaters, without, from what I could tell, sacrificing much control, and he hit 97 and 96 even in the 9th.

I really don't think he was throwing that hard. The gun was hot yesterday - both Chen and Hernandez were well above their average velo on the year, according to the gun.

Archived