Tillman

whynot38

The new Chris has only revealed itself recently. To start in AAA he wasn't any good. Then something clicked and he tore it up. In his torrid stretch AAA guys did not him well at all.

No, I know (I've been following him), but still: even though he had a 2.88 ERA over his last 10 starts I find that even hard to believe watching him today. Then again, we see how ERA can be misleading when you're talking such low numbers with Wei-yin Chen last night nearly perfect yet still 2 ER credited to his name, and Tillman nearly flawless today but still gets tagged with 1 ER.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't think he was throwing that hard. The gun was hot yesterday - both Chen and Hernandez were well above their average velo on the year, according to the gun.

We'll see. Jim Johnson and Pedro Strop were both at their normal velocities according to that gun. If it was hot I doubt by much--you could tell from hitters swings they were having trouble catching up.

Also, Felix has been throwing harder in his later starts: 92.7, 91.2, 92.4, 92.2, and 92.0 avg. velocity in his last 5 starts, after not averaging over 91.7 in his 10 starts previous. Chen's FB velocity last night seemed to be legit--it wasn't out of order with anything we've seen and it certainly helps to account why hitters were behind it and he was dominant (aside from the fact that it's hard to deny Seattle is a bad hitting team).

No, I know (I've been following him), but still: even though he had a 2.88 ERA over his last 10 starts I find that even hard to believe watching him today. Then again, we see how ERA can be misleading when you're talking such low numbers with Wei-yin Chen last night nearly perfect yet still 2 ER credited to his name, and Tillman nearly flawless today but still gets tagged with 1 ER.

That 2.88 ERA may be slightly skewed from the monsoon start last month.

Of course. And you are not alone in your steadfast support. There are not that many of us that have remained faithful. ;)

Correct. I remember you defending him in that monsoon game last month. ;)

I'll go along with this. I've never seen the Chris Tillman I saw today at any point before. Excellent command of a 94-97 MPH fastball and he maintained velocity all game long. Good curve and change to go along with it but he almost didn't even need to throw those pitches. Wow! Very impressive! It's a shame BobDino can't make the play in the 9th and give him a chance at the CG SHO. Looking forward to see what Tillman does in his next start but this was a real shot in the arm to the team.

Absolutely, statistically Tillman has had some very good ML starts but today was easily the best he's ever pitched and clearly different. Just read the swings the Mariners were taking. Its all you needed to see. I would venture that even his biggest supporters had to be a bit surprised by just how different and better he lookevs any other time in his big league career

UPDATE: Originally, I had Tillman down as having 1 earned run out of the 2 that were charged to him. The official scorers have fixed it, and now neither run was earned. :boogie:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320704112

OOOAndino's error would have been one out, then came Tillman's strikeout, then the double. The ensuing ground-out that Jimmy Johnson induced when he entered the game would have been the 3rd and final out of the inning had it not been for the error, so Tillman still has a 0.00 ERA. :)

We'll see. Jim Johnson and Pedro Strop were both at their normal velocities according to that gun. If it was hot I doubt by much--you could tell from hitters swings they were having trouble catching up.

Also, Felix has been throwing harder in his later starts: 92.7, 91.2, 92.4, 92.2, and 92.0 avg. velocity in his last 5 starts, after not averaging over 91.7 in his 10 starts previous. Chen's FB velocity last night seemed to be legit--it wasn't out of order with anything we've seen and it certainly helps to account why hitters were behind it and he was dominant (aside from the fact that it's hard to deny Seattle is a bad hitting team).

Right. That's fair. I mean, I'm assuming that the MiLB guns and second-hand info was accurate. He may have had more velo down there. I shouldn't assume. PitchFX has him at 95MPH. Adrenaline, rest and whatnot. But he should sit comfortably at 93-94MPH from here on out.

Wow just tweeted by Brittany Ghiroli- "Tillman optioned back to the Minors. Team wants him to stay on sked and he will throw Monday for Bowie. Will throw Os 3rd gm after the break" Definitely surprised after that outing but understandable. He'll be back after the break so no big deal

Absolutely, statistically Tillman has had some very good ML starts but today was easily the best he's ever pitched and clearly different. Just read the swings the Mariners were taking. Its all you needed to see. I would venture that even his biggest supporters had to be a bit surprised by just how different and better he lookevs any other time in his big league career

Most of his biggest supporters took the time to watch him in his MiLB starts this year.

Right. That's fair. I mean, I'm assuming that the MiLB guns and second-hand info was accurate. He may have had more velo down there. I shouldn't assume. PitchFX has him at 95MPH. Adrenaline, rest and whatnot. But he should sit comfortably at 93-94MPH from here on out.

Well, unlike Matusz those pitches he was throwing today looked relatively effortless. Pretty awesome performance. Maybe Peterson can work some magic on Matusz.

We need to somehow find a gold glove third baseman to complete this team. His bat isn't critical (though would be nice) but I want someone who can catch and throw. Gah.

We'll have that next year when Hardy moves to 3B and Machado is at SS.

Most of his biggest supporters took the time to watch him in his MiLB starts this year.

Yes, and Im not sure I ever heard anybody mentioning this much of an improvement or difference as a pitcher. Plus, Milb hitters vs big league hitters. If you want to try and sell that you saw this coming go ahead but Im not buying. You get props for standing behind Tillman. Clearly he deserved to stay in the rotation vs being preped as a reliever. No matter what happens in his next few starts it's clear improvements have been made and he has a chance to be a successful ML starter. Personally, I seriously doubted that. Just don't go patting yourself on the back that hard.

Yes, and Im not sure I ever heard anybody mentioning this much of an improvement or difference as a pitcher. Plus, Milb hitters vs big league hitters. If you want to try and sell that you saw this coming go ahead but Im not buying. You get props for standing behind Tillman. Clearly he deserved to stay in the rotation vs being preped as a reliever. No matter what happens in his next few starts it's clear improvements have been made and he has a chance to be a successful ML starter. Personally, I seriously doubted that. Just don't go patting yourself on the back that hard.

Then you haven't been paying attention. I said this earlier in this thread (earlier today, p. 6):

"Honestly, I can't say this enough: I don't think Tillman is the same pitcher as last year, or the year before. Just ask Tim Lincecum: 2-3 MPH on your FB is can make a huge difference. He was 92.0 in 2009, 90.5 in 2010, and 89.5 in 2011. My hope--and expectation--is that we're getting the 2009 version, stuff-wise, with increased maturity, more developed as a pitcher and a person."

And I was only able to say that because I've been following the reports of people like Lucky Jim, weams, etc. after every Tillman start, as well as what Rick Peterson and others have said about him through the media.

Archived