Left Field: Get Alfonso Soriano!

Flacco Machado

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think that DD will get Soriano. Whether it is right or wrong. I'm leaning more towards a Dempster/Soriano deal than I am a Garza/Soriano deal, because it wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects. Maybe instead of giving up a guy like Schoop it could be Arrieta, Avery, Wright for Dempster and Soriano.

Now that Brian is pretty much out of the leadoff spot for a long time, we need an experienced leadoff hitter. Soriano has batted there over the course of his career. Like I said, he's not Brian Roberts, circa 2005, but he would be serviceable and stabilize the lineup. Soriano, Markakis, Jones would be my top 3 in the order.

What are your thoughts?

That's not that bad, is it?

It is actually higher then anywhere else in the lineup.

Roberts, in comparison, is at .351, Markakis is at .363. Heck Wieters is at .328 and I keep hearing what a bust he is. ;)

I am not interested in a 36 year old with two years left on his contract.

I still think that DD will get Soriano. Whether it is right or wrong. I'm leaning more towards a Dempster/Soriano deal than I am a Garza/Soriano deal, because it wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects. Maybe instead of giving up a guy like Schoop it could be Arrieta, Avery, Wright for Dempster and Soriano.

Now that Brian is pretty much out of the leadoff spot for a long time, we need an experienced leadoff hitter. Soriano has batted there over the course of his career. Like I said, he's not Brian Roberts, circa 2005, but he would be serviceable and stabilize the lineup. Soriano, Markakis, Jones would be my top 3 in the order.

What are your thoughts?

Soriano's last 4 years OBP: .303, .322, .389, .324. That's not at all what I want from my leadoff hitter.

And I don't like a Arrieta, Wright and Dempster for Dempster and Soriano deal even if the Cubs picked up 90% of Soriano's salary.

The Orioles problem isn't a leadoff hitter IMO. I think Avery will be fine. The real problem is after the leadoff hitter. When Markakis comes back, I think the best lineup is:

Avery

Markakis

Jones

Thome

Wieters

Hardy

Davis

Reynolds

Andino

I'm not sure Buck would really like to have back to back lefties at the top of the lineup... or even strikeout machines Davis-Reynolds-Andino hitting back-to-back-to back, but that's the direction I would go.

This team doesn't need Soriano. It needs to replace Reynolds with Headley...

Archived